News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: Bob Newhart, Comedy Icon, ...
Last post by Henry - Today at 10:05:13 PM
That's it--No more Japanese food for you!
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Mackinac Bridge congestion
Last post by vdeane - Today at 10:03:05 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on Today at 08:16:12 AMEven if someone from Michigan does travel on a toll road outside of Michigan it's not like it's often enough for someone to think oh man I should have an EZPass.
So how often is often enough to warrant getting an E-ZPass?
Canada / Re: Ontario's Highways
Last post by AsphaltPlanet - Today at 09:58:44 PM
Looking southerly along Highway 17 south of Wawa as the highway descends down to Old Woman Bay in Lake Superior Provincial Park:

https://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_17_images/17_cl_DSC01120_Jul24_42x28.jpg
Off-Topic / Re: How much cash do you usual...
Last post by vdeane - Today at 09:52:01 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on Today at 03:26:35 PMI don't agree with that because it's quite easy just to go to an automatic checkout at the grocery store or wherever, buy something small, and pay with a $100.
Assuming you can.  Around where I am, a lot of those lanes don't accept cash payment anymore.
Sports / Re: General NBA thread
Last post by Henry - Today at 09:45:06 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 09:24:12 PMEmpire?  The Magic got blown out in one Finals with Shaq and Penny Hardaway.

Not to mention that the Miami Heat downstate are far more successful nowadays, with three championships on their resume, all courtesy of Dwyane Wade (winning one with Shaq and two with LeBron James and Chris Bosh). IOW, the Heat are everything the Magic could've been, plus the South Beach atmosphere is far more exciting than the one at Disney World.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Illinois notes
Last post by Brandon - Today at 09:43:40 PM
Quote from: ET21 on Today at 11:55:12 AM
Quote from: Brandon on July 16, 2024, 10:10:06 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on July 16, 2024, 10:01:58 PMI-55 is closed from US 6 (Exit 248) to River Road (Exit 241) (which includes the Des Plaines River Bridge) due to downed power lines.  Some news stories indicated it may be closed for at least another day.

ComEd apparently needs to bring a lot of equipment back there to fix the high voltage lines.  At least one tower structure is down, possibly more, and the area is swampy and thus require matting before any heavy equipment can be brought back to these tower areas.  ComEd said that they will probably have the equipment on-site on Wednesday so this is a longer term closure than just a day or two.

They reopened I-55 this morning, but it's gonna be awhile before the towers are rebuilt. NWS rated it as an EF-2 tornado in that stretch

Yeah, ComEd moved pretty fast on this.  Driving by this morning, one can see the two towers crumpled on each side of I-55.
Abandoned Sylvan Road in Monterey, California.

Untitled by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Stumbled upon this on a morning run during a work trip.  There is actually two abandoned segments and the maintained portion in La Mesa Village has a bunch of Botts Dotts.  Seems that portions of the road were closed two/three decades ago but never razed.
General Highway Talk / Re: Lowest numbered route you ...
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 09:31:36 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on Today at 09:42:25 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 17, 2024, 11:46:33 PMI presume you got it back in April on the way to/from Charlotte.

Oddly enough, I took two trips down to the Carolinas this year.  My wife strong-armed me into a trip to Myrtle Beach with family friends of hers, so I went to the Carolinas again. To make it worth my while, I clinched US52 SE of Cincinnati, and clinched I-77 on the way back north, stopping at the three national parks found along I-77 (Congaree, New River Gorge, Cuyahoga Valley).

The thought of me having US 52 clinched southeast of Cincinnati may have died in 2014, but I do have it clinched from Bluefield, WV, to Winston-Salem, NC, in full so...
Off-Topic / Re: Sign Collecting
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 09:30:15 PM
Picked up a CA 92 shield:

Untitled by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.