News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Random climate discussion

Started by Poiponen13, September 16, 2023, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poiponen13

This thread is for random climate discussion. Such as what is best climate to live and which would be extreme climate.

At least would a climate where coldest month averages 8 C (47 F) and warmest month 12 C (54 F). Freezing temperatures would be possible to occur in any month and snow would fall in coolest month.

And a climate where average low temperatures are close to 0 F in winter and average highs to 100 F in summer.

hotdogPi

Mexico City is consistently a good climate.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Max Rockatansky

What I enjoy out of a climate tends to vary.  The only things I'm sure about is that I have no desire to live in a super humid tropical climate again.

Scott5114

Oklahoma has a random climate.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Bruce

I prefer something temperate with enough variance to be exciting (but not life-threatening or super annoying). Western Washington generally fits the bill, with summers that are warm and sometimes hot and winters that give us a taste of lowland snow but not long cold snaps. Could do with some more fun to break up the long gray season.

Poiponen13

I like large populated places in extremely cold or hot climates. Northern China has average January temperatures in as cold as -25 C (-13 F) and Yakutsk approaches -40 degrees.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 17, 2023, 05:19:32 AM
I like large populated places in extremely cold or hot climates. Northern China has average January temperatures in as cold as -25 C (-13 F) and Yakutsk approaches -40 degrees.

Neither of these is above the Arctic Circle, getting soft aren't we?

davewiecking

I like climates where they measure temperature in degrees F.

Poiponen13

Quote from: davewiecking on September 17, 2023, 09:25:09 AM
I hate them.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: davewiecking on September 17, 2023, 09:25:09 AM

I really like hot climates measured in °F. Because 100 °F sounds better than 38 °C :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Here's what I want:

10 months out of the year – highs in the 60s to 80s, lows in the 40s to 60s.

1 month of full-on winter, with snowstorms every other day or something.

1 month of full-on summer, with highs over 100 and not a cloud in the sky.

People talk about how they love the changing of the seasons.  I do too, but summer and winter are just way too long.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

triplemultiplex

Give me Wisconsin September all year long.   :cool:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 18, 2023, 10:40:29 AM
Give me Wisconsin September all year long.   :cool:

Yeah, September and October always make me miss Chicago.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

DriverDave

I like warmer weather. I'd rather the highs be 90-100 degrees F than the lows be 20-25 F. Whereas heat is uncomfortable, cold is more painful. Also the wind worsens the feeling of extreme cold vs extreme heat. In terms of driving, my car's AC works better in 100 degree summer heat than the heater works in 20 degree cold.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: DriverDave on September 18, 2023, 11:46:41 AM
I like warmer weather. I'd rather the highs be 90-100 degrees F than the lows be 20-25 F. Whereas heat is uncomfortable, cold is more painful. Also the wind worsens the feeling of extreme cold vs extreme heat. In terms of driving, my car's AC works better in 100 degree summer heat than the heater works in 20 degree cold.

You just need to have the right gear for cold. I went hiking in -10 degree weather a couple of years ago and had to shed layers. It wasn't bad at all due to having the right stuff.

Poiponen13

My best unit is Celsius. A climate where average high temperature of warmest month is about 30-33 C and average low temperature of coldest month is about -1-(-5) C. Temperatures over 30 C would be normally measured as early as mid-April and as late as mid-September, and temperatures over 25 C (so-called summer days)would be measured as early as late March and as late as early November. There would be at least some snow every year and maximums under 0 C and minimums under -10 C would be regular.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 18, 2023, 12:26:03 PM

You just need to have the right gear for cold. I went hiking in -10 degree weather a couple of years ago and had to shed layers. It wasn't bad at all due to having the right stuff.

Disagree.  By the point I've covered my face sufficiently to stop the bitter cold from hurting, I can neither see nor breathe properly.  There's always some part of my face exposed.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 18, 2023, 12:42:35 PM

Disagree.  By the point I've covered my face sufficiently to stop the bitter cold from hurting, I can neither see nor breathe properly.  There's always some part of my face exposed.

Do you use a balaclava?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 18, 2023, 12:46:32 PM

Do you use a balaclava?

I use a balaclava when I hike or run below 20F.  It definitely solved the exposed face and breathing issues.

Brandon

Exactly.  There's no bad weather, just bad clothing and gear.

Personally, I like having four seasons that can range from 0oF to 100oF with sun, rain, and snow.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 18, 2023, 12:49:35 PM

Do you use a balaclava?

I use a balaclava when I hike or run below 20F.  It definitely solved the exposed face and breathing issues.

If my eyes are still exposed, then my brow still hurts from the cold.  By the time I've pulled the forehead part of it down far enough to block that cold, it impedes my vision.  As I said, unless my entire face is covered, the cold hurts somewhere.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on September 18, 2023, 12:57:15 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 18, 2023, 12:49:35 PM

Do you use a balaclava?

If my eyes are still exposed, then my brow still hurts from the cold.  By the time I've pulled the forehead part of it down far enough to block that cold, it impedes my vision.  As I said, unless my entire face is covered, the cold hurts somewhere.

Apply Vaseline to the parts of your skin getting licked by wind.  I was taught to this while playing sports in high school in Michigan.  Vaseline is very affective blocking the wind from hitting exposed skin.  I still use it on my wrists and neck during winter runs.

JayhawkCO

Maybe my face is just less sensitive since I have a lot of Scandinavian blood and I lived my early formative years in Minnesota.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.