News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

The problem of sign thefts

Started by route56, November 14, 2011, 01:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

It must be a slow news day at the Lawrence Journal-World. This morning's front-page story is about that age-old problem of sign thefts:

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/nov/13/city-hard-pressed-stop-sign-thefts/

According to the article, the most common signs that were stolen were street blades (84 total). The most popular street blade - High Drive (I guess that makes sense, given that Kansas does not have a highway numbered 420)  :eyebrow:

Of course, the problem of stolen stop signs - 56 - is the biggest problem in the sign shop.

Fortunately, there have not been any accidents attributed to sign thefts.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

formulanone

I recall a couple of teens in central Florida that were charged with manslaughter for stealing stop signs, because a fatal accident occurred because one driver ran an intersection that was supposed to have one of those said signs. I think this was around 1996-98 or so, along Lithia-Pinecrest Road or something around that area.

Edit: Link - http://www.usroads.com/journals/rilj/0110/ri011001.htm

ctsignguy

Several years ago, i was visiting the Rhode Island DOT Sign Shop outside Providence trying to finagle a few trades of my brand new blanks for old used Rhody signs.  Ken who was the head of the shop was telling me about a recent case there where a couple of kids were busted in East Providence for cutting down a sign (He didnt say what kind of sign it was but i am suspecting it may have been a STOP)  Anyway, he said that in the old days, you were caught chopping a sign, the cops would haul you to the station, kick your ass for a few hours, then send you home with a stern "Don't EVER do that again!!!" and that would be the end of it (leaving aside parental judgement).  As for THESE kids, he said, the local prosecutor wanted to throw the book at them....up to 5 years in jail and $5,000 in fines.....

A shame that young lives are ruined for what, in years gone by, was a childish prank....but this also had to be balanced against the risk to the public if the missing sign was vital to safety....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Quillz

Sign theft was apparently the reason California renumbered CA-69 to CA-245. And was a major reason why US-666 was eventually renumbered to US-491.

realjd

When I was in college, people kept stealing the "SPEED HUMP" signs on some of the campus roads. They ended up using one-way breakaway nuts, various epoxies, welding the nuts on, and other drastic measures to keep the signs there.

hbelkins

Sign theft problems around here aren't for any specific number, but so people can sell the metal for scrap.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on November 18, 2011, 10:59:37 AM
Sign theft problems around here aren't for any specific number, but so people can sell the metal for scrap.

Keep an eye on the I-69 signs ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

There has never really been a problem with the KY 69 signs in that part of the state. I don't know if that route will be renumbered or not.

Eth

I can't say for certain that this is the reason, but it is notable that 69 is the only unused two-digit route number in Georgia.

Alps

Quote from: realjd on November 17, 2011, 11:35:57 PM
When I was in college, people kept stealing the "SPEED HUMP" signs on some of the campus roads. They ended up using one-way breakaway nuts, various epoxies, welding the nuts on, and other drastic measures to keep the signs there.
Was it too hard to use the word BUMP?

hbelkins

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

xcellntbuy

"Speed humps" is another term used that my school district calls a series of four asphalt strips across driving lanes in our parking lots.  I specify it in the bids I write.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

Speed Lump? Never seem that before, but it sounds squishy and not really like a TCD.
Speed Table is different because it has a flat stretch on top. Like a table, yes. It's like a speed *ump where you stretch the two halves apart. In fact, some speed tables are used for crosswalks or entire intersections.

Duke87

I believe it's a question of scale. A speed hump is fairly large. A speed bump is smaller and requires you to slow down more. Of course, I've seen ones which I would call humps referred to as bumps. Perhaps due to the unfortunate coincidental other meaning of "speed hump".

Speed "lump" is a new one on me, though. Is it sitting alone in a boggy marsh?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

r-dub

Colorado has its fair share of sign thefts, too--most notably the Mile 69 sign. Why they don't go after the SH 69 sign is beyond me.

CDOT wised up and stopped using MM 69 signs in favor of these:
Found on SH 125 north of Walden.

Gotta admit, I was tempted to steal it just to mess with someone's mind...  :)
Ryan "r-dub"
Roadgeekin' Colorado Style

Takumi

I'd rather have that sign. It's actually an original idea.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Brian556

I've noticed that, in my area, nobody really ever steals signs anymore. Back in the 90's, the problem was so bad that a good portion of the street name blades in the nieghborhood would be missing at any given time.

Of course, looking at the big picture, juvenile delinquency peaked in the early 90's (example: 1992 Cowboys victory parade riots), mostly due to broken families /lousy parenting. Since them, steps have been taken to work on the problem, with much sucess. I know many of us think everthing is getting progressivly worse, but this is one of the things that has gotten better.

1995hoo

Electric Avenue in Dunn Loring, Virginia, suffered a massive rash of street sign thefts back in the early 1980s when that horrible song was a hit.

If I were to want to steal a road sign, I'd probably want a Mexican "topes" sign. Anyone who has been there know why. I hate topes, but I love the sign.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 28, 2011, 11:26:05 AM
Electric Avenue in Dunn Loring, Virginia, suffered a massive rash of street sign thefts back in the early 1980s when that horrible song was a hit.

And then they took it higher?

oscar

Back when Christine Whitman was New Jersey's governor, a rest area on I-295 was renamed for Howard Stern (she was a big fan of the shock jock).  That sign, showing Stern peering out from behind a tree, reportedly was stolen almost immediately, and was never replaced.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Duke87 on November 19, 2011, 12:33:18 PM
Speed "lump" is a new one on me, though. Is it sitting alone in a boggy marsh?

Nice reference.  ;-)
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

ctsignguy

Quote from: hbelkins on November 18, 2011, 04:03:59 PM
There has never really been a problem with the KY 69 signs in that part of the state. I don't know if that route will be renumbered or not.

In Ohio, Ohio 69 was decommissioned in 1968 and replaced by Ohio 4 which ran concurrently already from Dayton to I-70, and Ohio 235 which was extended north of I-70.  According to an ODOT manager i spoke with back in 1992, the final straw was when a high-ranking engineer rode Ohio 69 from Dayton to its north end (around 125 miles or so give or take) and saw only THREE individual shields the entire way (not including BGS)!  Plus it had the misfortune of passing through or near several colleges and universities which probably didn't help matters much...
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

sandwalk

In my part of Ohio, road signs for 'Lovers Lane' and 'Gore Orphanage Road' were always stolen.  And where I'm at currently in Illinois, Boone County only abbreviates 'Bloods Point Road' signs to read 'BL PT Road' because of thefts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.