News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on March 06, 2018, 07:53:56 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/38789450440/in/dateposted-public/
A partial APL so to speak.  I do not know if any are in your area, but in Orlando they are becoming common.

IIRC, the head of FDOT has been seeking approval for partial/sawn-off APLs like this one (not sure if approval was granted or if they're being installed anyways). I think another one is in use along University Pkwy at I-75.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on March 06, 2018, 07:53:56 PMhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/38789450440/in/dateposted-public/
A partial APL so to speak.  I do not know if any are in your area, but in Orlando they are becoming common.
Example of such in Union, NJ for Exits 142B & C off the northbound GSP.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 07, 2018, 09:40:46 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 06, 2018, 07:53:56 PMhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/38789450440/in/dateposted-public/
Example of such in Union, NJ for Exits 142B & C off the northbound GSP.
Well, sort of. The two lanes in question both exit, just to different places, so the "straight ahead" lane doesn't stay with the Parkway for any meaningful time. Frankly, such a sign would make more sense over two lanes that have already split from the Parkway. Was this interchange ever configured that way?

chays

Today I learned that National Natural Landmarks can be both publicly and privately owned.  The sign below is from a privately-owned one.  It looks like they wanted to mimic the USFS or BLM-style signage, but with that font and "arrows", this looks pretty ridiculous.  Its debatable whether this or not this falls into a "road sign" category rather than an advertisement/billboard, but I thought I'd share.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: chays on March 08, 2018, 02:02:48 PM
Today I learned that National Natural Landmarks can be both publicly and privately owned.  The sign below is from a privately-owned one.  It looks like they wanted to mimic the USFS or BLM-style signage, but with that font and "arrows", this looks pretty ridiculous.  Its debatable whether this or not this falls into a "road sign" category rather than an advertisement/billboard, but I thought I'd share.

You take a trip to Volcano, CA?

chays

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 08, 2018, 11:32:05 PM
No, that image just popped up when I was looking for 1-2-3 roadsigns.

I'll be visiting SoCal in July, was going to message you with some questions.  I plan on being in San Diego for 1 week for a conference, then heading up to Running Springs for 3 days, then Idyllwild for 3 days.  Looking forward to climbing San Jacinto!

busman_49

SMV signs as arrows...can't say I've seen that one before  :-D

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: chays on March 09, 2018, 10:05:31 AM

I'll be visiting SoCal in July, was going to message you with some questions.  I plan on being in San Diego for 1 week for a conference, then heading up to Running Springs for 3 days, then Idyllwild for 3 days.  Looking forward to climbing San Jacinto!

Nice, you planning on taking the Tramway out of Palm Springs?   There is some nice stuff down towards San Diego like CA 163 that's worth a look.  You'll be close to a lot of old US 66 haunts if you're heading towards Palm Springs.  Let me know if there is anything I can answer for you or point you in the direction of. 

chays

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 09, 2018, 12:36:37 PM
Quote from: chays on March 09, 2018, 10:05:31 AM

Nice, you planning on taking the Tramway out of Palm Springs?   There is some nice stuff down towards San Diego like CA 163 that's worth a look.  You'll be close to a lot of old US 66 haunts if you're heading towards Palm Springs.  Let me know if there is anything I can answer for you or point you in the direction of.
Thanks!  I'll PM you with questions.  As for the tramway, it is doubtful that we will take it.  We will probably take the Marion Mountain Trail from just north of Idyllwild.  It looks amazing, and that way we can say we have spent at least a few moments on the PCT.  Thru-hiking the entire PCT is one of the first things I plan on doing when I retire in about 12 years.

TBKS1

Searcy, Arkansas. The weird looking arrow under the AR-267 shield

US-67B, AR-267 by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Max Rockatansky

Took a clean photo of the CA 1 BGS at the Carmel River showing the openings/closures through Big Sur.  The affects of the Mud Creek Slide are still obvious:

1CAa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

On the way home I found a stray leftover CA 156 BL shield/placard combo.  I suspect the shield is probably a leftover from the days when CA 156 actually was through downtown Hollister, the business placard is weird looking.

156CABLa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

plain

Spotted this sign in Newport News on VA 312, at the bridge over the railroad. Makes me wonder if someone fell off the bike onto the track below

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

formulanone

Quote from: TBKS1 on March 10, 2018, 05:12:31 PM

I actually wish that was a standard, although it's ambiguous how much of a left-right / right-left movement would make that type of arrow practical?

'

Last week I found Smoky Park Cheese at Target, and thought the same thing...

KEVIN_224

At the entry for a maintenance yard off Massario Drive in Berlin, CT. Yes, that's painted on a piece from a plow truck.  :-D

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

thenetwork

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 18, 2018, 11:32:47 PM
At the entry for a maintenance yard off Massario Drive in Berlin, CT. Yes, that's painted on a piece from a plow truck.  :-D

Probably wished they had that plow for use the last few weeks
;^)

SectorZ

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 18, 2018, 11:32:47 PM

A few do that in Massachusetts, Hubbardston off the top of my head being one of them, https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4600186,-71.9958634,3a,24y,244.16h,80.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSsHCVPJIUiRZADG8jDQ04A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

formulanone

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 19, 2018, 12:40:10 PM
Quote from: formulanone on March 18, 2018, 02:07:39 PM
Quote from: TBKS1 on March 10, 2018, 05:12:31 PM

I actually wish that was a standard, although it's ambiguous how much of a left-right / right-left movement would make that type of arrow practical?
Here's how ALDOT signs US 231's dogleg in Oneonta:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9474842,-86.4714532,3a,15y,1.58h,87.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slwf7gvqE0nX9n2OOLC0PEQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Never noticed that until you pointed it out, sure enough...

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/40926526931/in/dateposted-public/

What is interesting about this one is the fact that FL 437 is only one city block long concurrent with FL 438.  The only reason its here is because just ahead FL 437 becomes County Road 437 and where this sign is located is state maintained for this very short overlap.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

I retraced part of the roadmeet on Sunday to get this:

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

formulanone

US71

Quote from: formulanone on March 20, 2018, 10:42:33 PM
Quote from: US71 on March 20, 2018, 09:31:28 PM

Inverted colors, interesting.

The overall design is more like an exit sign shield.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MikeTheActuary

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on March 20, 2018, 10:53:44 PM
Quote from: formulanone on March 20, 2018, 10:42:33 PM
Quote from: US71 on March 20, 2018, 09:31:28 PM

Inverted colors, interesting.

The overall design is more like an exit sign shield.

It is indeed. Maybe it's because I am a Louisianian, but this goes in my definition of "worst of". I have never liked these exit ramp shields.

But it gets worse than this nowadays. Just wait til I get shots of what has been put up lately by DOTD.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.