News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on December 02, 2022, 02:14:05 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 02, 2022, 02:06:46 PM
Fire Matt Patrica

Or at least get an actual offensive coordinator in that role. As much as I love BB, it makes no sense why he is set on employing old hands and relatives in such key roles, especially with mediocre (for them) results.
Honestly his son's defense has been pretty good. Not perfect, but good. The offense though...
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thspfc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 02, 2022, 02:06:46 PM
Fire Matt Patrica
" Hire wide receivers"  is more like it. Belichick is intent on continuing his strategy of picking up outcasted free agent pass catchers for pennies on the dollar, which worked with Brady at QB, but not anymore.

TheHighwayMan3561

The popular theory is he's just waiting for McDaniels to be inevitably fired and bring him back as the OC.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 02, 2022, 04:51:11 PM
The popular theory is he's just waiting for McDaniels to be inevitably fired and bring him back as the OC.

I can see that being his strategy. 

Not like any coaches off the Bill Belichick coaching tree have done anything at all. 

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on December 02, 2022, 05:15:14 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 02, 2022, 04:51:11 PM

I can see that being his strategy. 

Not like any coaches off the Bill Belichick coaching tree have done anything at all.

That's not entirely true. They've been hired by desperate, snakebit teams, try to use the Patriot Way that doesn't translate to other teams, get fired, and then come back to the mother ship, where they prbiably should have stayed

webny99

Mike Vrabel is a big exception to that.

And I think McDaniels is safe for at least another year with the Raiders. They've had a chance to win all but one game even though it was a disastrous start record-wise.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on December 02, 2022, 06:44:13 PM
And I think McDaniels is safe for at least another year with the Raiders. They've had a chance to win all but one game even though it was a disastrous start record-wise.

I expect he'll be around another year, but the Raiders are headed for a major rebuild and the question is if McDaniels is the guy you want to lead them through that. It doesn't help that their two 2020 first rounders are already off the roster due to being morons.

Ted$8roadFan

Vrabel is doing very well, but he technically wasn't a coach under Belichick (although undoubtedly benefiting from him as a coach).

webny99

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on December 03, 2022, 07:04:37 AM

Vrabel is doing very well, but he technically wasn't a coach under Belichick (although undoubtedly benefiting from him as a coach).

You're right, I guess I was thinking of him as being from the Belichick "tree" because of his time in Houston under Bill O'Brien.

mgk920

With their win today at the Bears, the Packers now have to most franchise wins in the NFL (787).

:wow:

Mike

Big John

Quote from: mgk920 on December 04, 2022, 05:58:16 PM
With their win today at the Bears, the Packers now have to most franchise wins in the NFL (787).

:wow:

Mike
A record the Bers held for over a century.

Roadgeekteen

Jimmy Garoppolo out for the season with a broken foot
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

amroad17

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 04, 2022, 08:16:42 PM
Another year, another injury.  :no:

On a more positive note, the Bengals have made it three straight wins over the Chiefs, winning 27-24.  Joe Burrow 3-0 over Patrick Mahomes II.  :clap:

I wonder if the tie game between the Giants and Commanders could possibly help both teams?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

thspfc

Titans/Eagles today showed the difference between a run-first team that is capable of throwing effectively when they need to, and a run-first team that is not. Here's my question with Tennessee: if you're committed to the "put everything on Derrick Henry" offensive strategy, why are you paying your QB $30 million a year? He's not influencing the game beyond simply not losing it all by himself. Might as well pick up someone like Teddy Bridgewater for dirt cheap and use the extra money to strengthen the o-line and defense.

Quote from: amroad17 on December 04, 2022, 08:32:09 PM
Further complicating the Garoppolo/Lance situation. San Fran looked great today, forcing 4 turnovers and more than doubling the Dolphins in time of possession en route to ending Miami's 5 game win streak. They should still win the division, but it's hard to figure them going deep in the playoffs with their 3rd string QB.

I wonder if the tie game between the Giants and Commanders could possibly help both teams?
All it really does is push the chips down the road to week 15. Giants play Philly next week and the Commies are on bye, so it's likely both teams will be 7-5-1.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thspfc on December 04, 2022, 08:58:38 PM
All it really does is push the chips down the road to week 15. Giants play Philly next week and the Commies are on bye, so it's likely both teams will be 7-5-1.

Generally, it's a 50/50 shot if it helps or hurts. If both teams are in the running for the 7th seed, they will need to look at the other matchup between both teams, in 2 weeks, to determine who has the head to head advantage.

Since the Conference generally sucks from seeds 9 on down, the tie may not be overly damaging if they can win a few more games each.

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 04, 2022, 09:26:20 PM

Generally, it's a 50/50 shot if it helps or hurts. If both teams are in the running for the 7th seed, they will need to look at the other matchup between both teams, in 2 weeks, to determine who has the head to head advantage.

Since the Conference generally sucks from seeds 9 on down, the tie may not be overly damaging if they can win a few more games each.

They're definitely both in the running for the 7th seed. In fact, they were 6th and 7th before the Seahawks won this afternoon to bump the Commanders down to 8th. So, this did very little to change the playoff odds. It will just put even more weight on the Week 15 matchup, but the tie could help both teams get in if the Seahawks fall back a game.

webny99

Quote from: amroad17 on December 04, 2022, 08:32:09 PM
Further complicating the Garoppolo/Lance situation. San Fran looked great today, forcing 4 turnovers and more than doubling the Dolphins in time of possession en route to ending Miami's 5 game win streak. They should still win the division, but it's hard to figure them going deep in the playoffs with their 3rd string QB.

Brutal. Purdy actually played OK, but their season becomes a lot more unpredictable now.

As long as the 49ers can still win the West, the NFC playoff picture is really starting to take shape. It's very likely the Eagles are the #1 seed and the Vikings are the #2 seed. Eagles will have to keep winning to hold off the Cowboys, but the Vikings are unlikely to fall from #2 and even less so with the Jimmy G injury. 49ers are the likely #3 seed, and the Bucs (or whoever wins the South) will be the #4 seed. Cowboys will likely be the #5 seed and the final wild cards will be Seahawks, Giants, and/or Commanders (2 of those 3) unless the Lions somehow get into the mix. So, it's early, but not too early to look at potential playoff matchups and they should be favorable for the Vikings, 49ers, and Cowboys (especially if the Bucs don't win the South).

Meanwhile, the AFC is much more in flux. The Raiders are going to be last year's Dolphins, where they're probably in too big a hole to make it, but they're going to keep winning and make those of us who forked them sweat until the last week or so.

The Texans and Bears were officially eliminated today, so that's money in the bank for those of us who forked them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on December 04, 2022, 10:14:41 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 04, 2022, 09:26:20 PM

They're definitely both in the running for the 7th seed. In fact, they were 6th and 7th before the Seahawks won this afternoon to bump the Commanders down to 8th. So, this did very little to change the playoff odds. It will just put even more weight on the Week 15 matchup, but the tie could help both teams get in if the Seahawks fall back a game.

If WAS lost today, their seeding would be the same.  WAS & SEA don't play each other this year, so it would come down, most likely, to their records within the conference or against common opponents.  At least currently, in my view the tie hurts WAS more than helps.

thspfc

Season's first fifty burger in Dallas.

ilpt4u

Quote from: thspfc on December 04, 2022, 11:29:25 PM
Also a Scorigami, is 54-19

TheHighwayMan3561

Vikings can't put a team away when they have them on the ropes, nor can anyone else put them away when they're on the ropes.

But the Vikings finish the clean sweep of the AFC East with the win over the Jets today.

amroad17

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 04, 2022, 11:39:18 PM
What the hell happened in that 4th quarter?  Indianapolis misses a 2-point conversion to tie it at 21 with 3:49 left in the 3rd, and then it was like they fell apart as Dallas scores 33 in the 4th?!?

With the 2-point conversion and the extra point kicked from the 23, it seems there have been many more "Scorigami's" in the last five years.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

webny99

Quote from: amroad17 on December 05, 2022, 12:58:37 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on December 04, 2022, 11:39:18 PM
What the hell happened in that 4th quarter?  Indianapolis misses a 2-point conversion to tie it at 21 with 3:49 left in the 3rd, and then it was like they fell apart as Dallas scores 33 in the 4th?!?

With the 2-point conversion and the extra point kicked from the 23, it seems there have been many more "Scorigami's" in the last five years.

Also, 33 points in a single quarter is wild. Tough to find info on what the record is for points scored in a single quarter, but it might be 34 (Lions vs. the Bears in 2007).

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 04, 2022, 10:46:55 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 04, 2022, 10:14:41 PM

If WAS lost today, their seeding would be the same.  WAS & SEA don't play each other this year, so it would come down, most likely, to their records within the conference or against common opponents.  At least currently, in my view the tie hurts WAS more than helps.

I see it as a built-in tiebreaker for Washington. Now, it won't come down to other tiebreakers with Seattle because the tie will ensure they don't finish with the same record, and they only have to finish a half-game ahead instead of a full game.

1995hoo

What would be funny is if Washington and New York play to another tie two weeks from now. (As an aside, I'm pretty sure no team has ever had two ties in one season since the 1974 adoption of regular-season overtime, although a couple of teams have come close.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.