News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

The Red Sox need to win tonight... it's a shame because I want the Mariners to make the playoffs but not at the expense of the Red Sox.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Bruce

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 29, 2021, 09:30:30 PM
The Red Sox need to win tonight... it's a shame because I want the Mariners to make the playoffs but not at the expense of the Red Sox.

The Ms haven't been to the playoffs since before you were born.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Bruce on September 30, 2021, 12:51:12 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 29, 2021, 09:30:30 PM

The Ms haven't been to the playoffs since before you were born.
About half of UMass undergrads were born after the Mariners last playoff appearance.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

Hopefully the playoffs for the AL include obviously the White Sox, Rays, Astros as well as the Yankees and Mariners. I'll take the Yankees over the Red Sox.

webny99

I don't follow MLB very closely but I kind of wanted the Blue Jays to make the playoffs. They felt almost like a local team after their time in Buffalo. It doesn't seem very likely now though.

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on September 30, 2021, 08:03:26 AM
I don't follow MLB very closely but I kind of wanted the Blue Jays to make the playoffs. They felt almost like a local team after their time in Buffalo. It doesn't seem very likely now though.
They are only a game behind the Red Sox. It'd be nice to see them make it over Boston. We've had enough of Boston winning for awhile.

Flint1979

I remember in 2004 when the Red Sox and Yankees were playing in the ALCS. I had the game on the radio and was rooting for the Yankees. I remember I was getting off I-75 onto I-675 when I figured out the score was 19-8 Yankees and this was game 3 and they went up 3-0 and I'm thinking cool one more game and Boston's gone. Game 4 the Yankees had the lead 4-3 going into the bottom of the 9th with Rivera on the mound who almost never screwed up in the playoffs, then Rivera walks Kevin Millar and Dave Roberts pinch runs and steals second, a Bill Mueller (who won the batting title in 2003) gets a base hit to score Roberts and the game is tied. Skip ahead a few innings and that big fat gorilla named David Ortiz hit a walk off home run to win the game.

Then the next night Rivera blew another save. It was almost like the previous night Millar walks, Roberts pinch runs but didn't steal second instead Trot Nixon first to thirds him and he scores on a Jason Varitek sac fly. Then skip ahead a few more innings and Ortiz gets a walk off single.

The next game was the Curt Schilling bloody sock game, then game 7 the Red Sox routed the Yankees winning 10-3. I remember all of it.

NWI_Irish96

The current wild card standings have the Yankees leading Boston by 1, Seattle by 1.5 and Toronto by 2. The top two teams get in. Seattle has 3 games left and the others have 4.

If there is a 2-way tie for the top 2 spots, then both teams are in and the winner of the season series hosts the wild card game. If there is a 3 or 4 way tie (this is possible) for the top 2 spots, or a tie for the second spot, tiebreaker games are played to determine who gets in.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hotdogPi

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 30, 2021, 08:21:45 AM
I had the game on the radio and was rooting for the Yankees.

Any reason why? While I was too young to remember it, I would think that 2004 Red Sox was like 2016 Cubs: pretty much everyone except the opposing team wants the losing streak to break.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Flint1979

Quote from: 1 on September 30, 2021, 08:23:29 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on September 30, 2021, 08:21:45 AM
I had the game on the radio and was rooting for the Yankees.

Any reason why? While I was too young to remember it, I would think that 2004 Red Sox was like 2016 Cubs: pretty much everyone except the opposing team wants the losing streak to break.
Because I hate the Red Sox. I've hated them for years. The Yankees winning didn't bother me. And then the way their fans have acted since then is top notch annoying.

NWI_Irish96

As a fan of a potential AL playoff opponent, I 100% want to see the Red Sox over the Yankees.

webny99

Is there any chance that the Blue Jays and Mariners both make it, and Red Sox and Yankees both miss out?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on September 30, 2021, 10:37:06 AM
Is there any chance that the Blue Jays and Mariners both make it, and Red Sox and Yankees both miss out?

Remaining games:
Yankees: 1 at Blue Jays, 3 vs Rays
Red Sox: 1 at Orioles, 3 at Nationals
Mariners: 3 vs Angels
Blue Jays: 1 vs Yankees, 3 Orioles

Blue Jays beating the Yankees today would go a long way towards that end. Another big question is how much Tampa Bay uses their best players/pitchers against the Yankees as the Rays have locked up the #1 seed in the AL and have nothing to gain by winning any more games. The other three teams all play bad teams and will be favored to win at least 2 out of 3.

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on September 30, 2021, 10:37:06 AM
It's possible but I don't know how likely. The Red Sox are in Baltimore right now and then go to Washington to play the Nationals I think they'd have to lose the rest of their games, the Yankees are in Toronto right now so if the Blue Jays beat them it could happen, the Yankees have to play the Rays to finish up the season so they might lose the rest of their games. The Blue Jays play the Orioles in the last series so it's possible they could sweep them since the Orioles suck. The Mariners don't play today and finish up the season at home against the Angels. I think it's possible that the Blue Jays and Mariners can get in.

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 30, 2021, 10:35:10 AM
As a fan of a potential AL playoff opponent, I 100% want to see the Red Sox over the Yankees.
I would go for that too since the Red Sox have the worst pitching out of the playoff contenders, the Mariners do too but the Mariners don't score runs at an alarming rate which surprises me that they are in contention. It'd be great to see the Red Sox and Yankees both miss the playoffs.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: gr8daynegb on September 29, 2021, 06:57:30 PM
Dumb injuries in baseball!!!..........baseball

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/brewers-pitcher-devin-williams-likely-to-miss-playoffs-after-breaking-his-hand-punching-a-wall/ar-AAOYeDq?ocid=msedgntphdr

earlier part of story:

ST. LOUIS – The Milwaukee Brewers' postseason chances took a huge hit Wednesday, when it was learned that setup man Devin Williams will have to undergo surgery on his fractured right throwing hand.

President of baseball operations David Stearns said Williams likely will require surgery to place a plate in his hand to help repair the fracture, and that the injury "is likely to keep him out for the remainder of the season."

Williams told reporters before Wednesday's game that the injury was self-inflicted — he punched a wall out of anger after having "a few drinks" following Sunday's celebration of the team clinching the National League Central.

"After our celebration, I went out to have a few drinks and on my way home I was a little frustrated, upset, and I punched a wall," Williams said. "That's how it happened.

"I'm pretty upset with myself. There's no one to blame but me. I feel like I've let the team down, the coaching staff, the fans, everyone. I know how big a role that I play on this team and there's a lot of people counting on me.

That's even dumber than when Zach Grienke broke a rib playing pick-up basketball in the 2010/11 off season.
But not quite as dumb as this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK81Ej5hm8s
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Flint1979

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 30, 2021, 03:37:44 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/brewers-pitcher-devin-williams-likely-to-miss-playoffs-after-breaking-his-hand-punching-a-wall/ar-AAOYeDq?ocid=msedgntphdr

earlier part of story:

ST. LOUIS – The Milwaukee Brewers' postseason chances took a huge hit Wednesday, when it was learned that setup man Devin Williams will have to undergo surgery on his fractured right throwing hand.

President of baseball operations David Stearns said Williams likely will require surgery to place a plate in his hand to help repair the fracture, and that the injury "is likely to keep him out for the remainder of the season."

Williams told reporters before Wednesday's game that the injury was self-inflicted — he punched a wall out of anger after having "a few drinks" following Sunday's celebration of the team clinching the National League Central.

"After our celebration, I went out to have a few drinks and on my way home I was a little frustrated, upset, and I punched a wall," Williams said. "That's how it happened.

"I'm pretty upset with myself. There's no one to blame but me. I feel like I've let the team down, the coaching staff, the fans, everyone. I know how big a role that I play on this team and there's a lot of people counting on me.

That's even dumber than when Zach Grienke broke a rib playing pick-up basketball in the 2010/11 off season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK81Ej5hm8s
Aaron Boone did that too about 17 years ago.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 30, 2021, 04:16:26 PM

earlier part of story:

Which is the only reason why ARod ended up in New York.

Devin Williams pulled a Gus Frerotte.  Remember when he scored a TD and ran head first into a wall and sprained his neck? 

And after the Red Sox dropped 2 of 3 to a AAA caliber team, they're more dead than Generalissimo Francisco Franco.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadgeekteen

Mariners deserve the playoff spot more than we do.

Alps

The Sux are still tied for WC2 with the M's. Of course, the M's are on a relatively hot streak right now, but let's see what we've got:
* Yankees: 2 game lead, 3 against Rays, tough team but already clinched.
* Sux: 3 against Nationals, not playoffs and not even AL, so no incentive to play spoiler
* M's: 3 against Angels, good team that just didn't get it together and same division, so incentive to play spoiler
* Jays: 1 game deficit, 3 against Orioles, terrible team but for some reason causing fits with better teams (Sux)

How does this play out? If I take just the standings, Yankees would win 1/3, Sux would win 3/3, M's would win 2/3, Jays would win 2/3 (or so). Two AL east teams in the wild card. If I look at how teams are doing lately and the factors above, my predictions: every team wins 2/3 in the above list. Yankees secure the first WC (and give me a home game to attend on Tuesday). Sux and M's play off Monday and... depends on the pitching matchup and who gets home field.

Flint1979

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 30, 2021, 11:24:05 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on September 30, 2021, 04:16:26 PM

earlier part of story:

Which is the only reason why ARod ended up in New York.

Devin Williams pulled a Gus Frerotte.  Remember when he scored a TD and ran head first into a wall and sprained his neck? 

And after the Red Sox dropped 2 of 3 to a AAA caliber team, they're more dead than Generalissimo Francisco Franco.
That is correct. The Red Sox had a trade all set up to send Manny Ramirez to Texas and A-Rod to Boston. Also going to Texas would have been a real young at the time Jon Lester. But the MLBPA vetoed the deal because of a reduction of salary in A-Rod's contract. Then just before Spring Training was to start for the 2004 season the Rangers traded him to the Yankees for Alfonso Soriano and another player that I can't remember off the top of my head. But keep in mind he was suppose to go to Boston for Manny.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on October 01, 2021, 12:42:39 AM
The Sux are still tied for WC2 with the M's. Of course, the M's are on a relatively hot streak right now, but let's see what we've got:
* Yankees: 2 game lead, 3 against Rays, tough team but already clinched.
* Sux: 3 against Nationals, not playoffs and not even AL, so no incentive to play spoiler
* M's: 3 against Angels, good team that just didn't get it together and same division, so incentive to play spoiler
* Jays: 1 game deficit, 3 against Orioles, terrible team but for some reason causing fits with better teams (Sux)

How does this play out? If I take just the standings, Yankees would win 1/3, Sux would win 3/3, M's would win 2/3, Jays would win 2/3 (or so). Two AL east teams in the wild card. If I look at how teams are doing lately and the factors above, my predictions: every team wins 2/3 in the above list. Yankees secure the first WC (and give me a home game to attend on Tuesday). Sux and M's play off Monday and... depends on the pitching matchup and who gets home field.
Imagine playing a winner take all game 163 and then a winner take all wild card game.

abefroman329

My dad and brother and I got tickets to a White Sox ALDS game to be named later and to an ALCS game to be named later.  Neither one is guaranteed to happen, I think both are for a post-Game 4, but it will be exciting if it happens.

Flint1979

I went to game 2 of the 2005 World Series the game where Paulie hit a grand slam and Scotty Pods hit a walk off. I got my ticket off this broker I knew in Chicago that I met when I ended up going to a Red Sox-Cubs game earlier in the year since I was in Chicago and the Sox were out of town I think they were in San Diego that weekend if my memory serves me right and I had nothing to do so I went to get these tickets and went to the game. Well now the Sox are in the playoffs and I'm thinking I have to go to at least one game if I can afford it. So I remembered that I got this guys card when I met him and called him up and asked him if he had anything for the Sox game because I had asked him if he did the Sox too. So I got ahold of him early in the day I left here at 4:30 in the morning and got to Chicago a little after 8 central time and he told me he had some tickets for game 2 of the World Series and I told him I wanted one so I met him at Hollywood Grill on North and Ashland and I paid him $100 for an upper deck seat. The game was 4-2 and it was like the 6th inning and I'm thinking this sucks the Sox are losing I came all this way to see them lose I'm too familiar with this. Then they load the bases in the bottom of the 7th and Paulie steps up I just blurted up great time for a grand slam and this was just after a pitching change as Dye was hit to load the bases. I swear the first pitch he hits it out of the ballpark and the stadium started to shake Sox take a 6-4 lead and I'm thinking this is great it took a game that sucked because the Sox were losing to a game that was fun. Jenks pitched the 9th and I'm thinking he's been pretty good we should be up 2-0 after this inning. The Astros had 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs and Jenks allowed a base hit to tie the game. I think Pods was the second hitter of the inning and he had a 1-1 count or 2-1 count on him and then proceeded to hit a walk off homer. A guy that didn't hit a single homer all regular season he hit two in the postseason, one against Boston and one against Houston. I remember Ozzie signaling to the bullpen for Jenks, he had his arms out his sides like give me the fat guy.

Stephane Dumas

If the Cardinals go deep in playoffs right to the World Series, will they use the song "Gloria" like the Blues did in 2019?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.