News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Rather amusing error in both yesterday's (left) and today's (right) Washington Post that tends to confirm the suspicion that they don't have proofreaders:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 14, 2022, 10:30:42 AM
Rather amusing error in both yesterday's (left) and today's (right) Washington Post that tends to confirm the suspicion that they don't have proofreaders:
TBS did the same thing, and they were broadcasting the game.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

mgk920

I don't think that the name that the Cleveland, OH Baseball team has chosen is catching on with fans in NE Ohio, either.

Mike

US 89

I still think they should have gone with Spiders.

Alps

Quote from: mgk920 on October 14, 2022, 07:33:23 PM
I don't think that the name that the Cleveland, OH Baseball team has chosen is catching on with fans in NE Ohio, either.

Mike
It's a nice harmless name but not easy to remember. Way better than Commanders.

CtrlAltDel

Eighteen innings. Eighteen.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

oscar

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 15, 2022, 11:19:24 PM

While the Mariners' fans were undoubtedly disappointed in the final outcome, at least they got the equivalent of two games for the price of one.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jgb191

Glad it's finally over and my Astros advance to their sixth that's 6th straight ALCS....approaching the record of eight consecutive appearances by the Yankees from the 1996 ALCS to their epic collapse of 2004 ALCS.

If the current pattern continues -- 2022 is an even number year -- my Astros are slated to be eliminated by the winner of the Yankees/Guardians series.  Since 2016, the Astros have won the ALCS in odd-numbered year 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023, and so on; and lost the ALCS in every even-numbered years 2018, 2020, 2022, and so on; which means they will make the World Series again next year to keep the pattern alive.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Bruce

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 12, 2022, 03:38:46 AM
Mariners choked just like they inflicted onto the Blue Jays

Blame it on the air, which is hazardous enough to warrant cancellation of outdoor sporting events.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: jgb191 on October 16, 2022, 01:45:55 AM
Glad it's finally over and my Astros advance to their sixth that's 6th straight ALCS....approaching the record of eight consecutive appearances by the Yankees from the 1996 ALCS to their epic collapse of 2004 ALCS.

If the current pattern continues -- 2022 is an even number year -- my Astros are slated to be eliminated by the winner of the Yankees/Guardians series.  Since 2016, the Astros have won the ALCS in odd-numbered year 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023, and so on; and lost the ALCS in every even-numbered years 2018, 2020, 2022, and so on; which means they will make the World Series again next year to keep the pattern alive.

They've been doing a BANG-up job for sure.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

74/171FAN

Freddie Freeman (as a Dodger) and the Braves get eliminated on the same day.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

SectorZ

Mysteries of the universe...

- Is there life on other planets
- Can gravity be unified with the other forces
- Why does Dave Roberts still have a job managing the Dodgers

That guy can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like no other

74/171FAN

^I am sure that Dave Roberts would have been fired already if he did not win the World Series in 2020.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

SectorZ

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 16, 2022, 09:22:00 AM
^I am sure that Dave Roberts would have been fired already if he did not win the World Series in 2020.

I feel that was the do or die for him and since he did it bought him a few more years.

1995hoo

Quote from: oscar on October 15, 2022, 11:31:24 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 15, 2022, 11:19:24 PM

While the Mariners' fans were undoubtedly disappointed in the final outcome, at least they got the equivalent of two games for the price of one.

This sounds like how I brag that when I play golf, I get a lot more swings for the same amount of money that someone with a scratch handicap pays.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

They'll find a new way to cheat next year, exactly.

Buck87

1997 was Cleveland over Baltimore and 2002 was Anaheim over Minnesota.

The Astros now have the record by themselves at 6, taking it from the A's (5 straight from 71-75)

Henry

Quote from: Buck87 on October 16, 2022, 08:25:58 PM

1997 was Cleveland over Baltimore and 2002 was Anaheim over Minnesota.

The Astros now have the record by themselves at 6, taking it from the A's (5 straight from 71-75)
IIRC, they're just two behind the Braves, who appeared in every NLCS from 1991 to 1999 (the one exception being 1994, which was a strike year).

I'm not the least bit surprised that the Dodgers lost to their southern neighbors. It was overconfidence that did them in, and clearly Dave Roberts is this century's Bobby Cox. Both managers have had great regular seasons, only to fall short in the postseason, and each won a World Series title after a shorter-than-usual season (Cox won in a 144-game season, and Roberts in a 60-game season). I'm now hoping the Padres beat the Phillies in the NLCS, as well as either the Yankees or the Guardians beating the Astros in the ALCS.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Let's not forget that the Astros records belong in the same category as Barry Bonds' records.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

I stand by my decision regarding the ALCS: Yankees over Astros.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jgb191

^ I agree with you....my Astros are getting eliminated by the Yankees in six games.  I predict the Yankees will take the first three games, then the Astros will stave off elimination for the next two games at the Bronx, and finally Yankees knock us out in Game Six at Minute Maid.  It's been a good season Astros, six straight ALCS is nothing to be upset about, but my team will have to regroup after the ALCS and find a way to get better for next year.  Congrats Yankees on making it to the World Series for the first time in 13 years; I believe they have the better team.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: jgb191 on October 19, 2022, 04:29:18 PM
^ I agree with you....my Astros are getting eliminated by the Yankees in six games.  I predict the Yankees will take the first three games, then the Astros will stave off elimination for the next two games at the Bronx, and finally Yankees knock us out in Game Six at Minute Maid.  It's been a good season Astros, six straight ALCS is nothing to be upset about, but my team will have to regroup after the ALCS and find a way to get better for next year.  Congrats Yankees on making it to the World Series for the first time in 13 years; I believe they have the better team.

Your prediction will not come true, at least not in that manner - Astros won Game 1 last night.

jgb191

^  Astros have given me a slight glimmer of hope in the ALCS by holding serve at home both games to win the first two games. I had predicted Astros winning just two games, but looks like they'll win at least three games and push the Yankees to the full seven games, maybe even could take the ALCS.....it could happen!  Go Astros.

Alps

Quote from: jgb191 on October 21, 2022, 12:42:58 AM
^  Astros have given me a slight glimmer of hope in the ALCS by holding serve at home both games to win the first two games. I had predicted Astros winning just two games, but looks like they'll win at least three games and push the Yankees to the full seven games, maybe even could take the ALCS.....it could happen!  Go Astros.
1996 world series says don't count chickens until hatched

CoreySamson

Quote from: jgb191 on October 19, 2022, 04:29:18 PM
So, uh, you were saying?
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.