News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Largest highway shield

Started by andrewkbrown, May 30, 2011, 09:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewkbrown

What are some of the largest highway shields anyone can recall seeing, be it interstate, US highway or state highway?

I thought of this since I often pass under this for I-95...
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=38.795269,-77.143228&spn=0.003897,0.014656&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=38.795295,-77.143075&panoid=lxviE-p1lmmtx8IMXgVZ8A&cbp=12,244.33,,0,-9.88

What size might this one be? 5x5 or 6x6 ft?
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Quillz

myosh_tino

How about these...

Too bad it's been replaced with new reflective signs.  The shields on the new one aren't as big...
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

jdb1234

Dr Frankenstein

national highway 1

Quote from: myosh_tino on May 30, 2011, 09:51:19 PM
How about these...

Those two shields were particularly fugly...Thank God they were replaced.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Quillz

I think they look awkward because they're at an angle. I think head-on, they look like fairly standard route shields.

DTComposer

Why isn't the I-5 shield centered? Just another Caltrans mystery...

mightyace

^^^

It looks like there's room for NORTH to the right of the shield.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

national highway 1

Better still, mount a three-paneled sign bridge before the overpass, perpendicular to the traffic lanes.
Left Panel:
EXIT 221
JCT CA 99 1 1/2 MILES
Middle Panel:
I-5 NORTH
San Francisco
Sacramento
Right Panel:
EXIT 219B
Laval Road West
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

J N Winkler

I think the only sign that should be bridge-mounted should be the Laval Road exit direction sign, with information relating to the I-5/SR 99 split being relegated to an overhead structure further down the road.  This makes more sense in terms of message loading and avoids having the extreme skew of the overbridge get in the way of interpreting the messages related to the split.

In principle the I-5 and SR 99 messages can do without downward-pointing arrows, but the interchange configuration (three lanes of SR 99 leaving on the left) is so unusual that I can understand why they are used.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hobsini2

The Interstate shields (I-55, I-40) on the BGS at the west JCT in West Memphis AR were pretty big.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Bickendan

Quote from: national highway 1 on May 31, 2011, 05:39:10 AM
Better still, mount a three-paneled sign bridge before the overpass, perpendicular to the traffic lanes.
Left Panel:
EXIT 221
JCT CA 99 1 1/2 MILES
Middle Panel:
I-5 NORTH
San Francisco
Sacramento
Right Panel:
EXIT 219B
Laval Road West
Or even:
Left panel
CA 99 Golden State Freeway

Right panel
I-5 West Side Freeway

myosh_tino

Here are the signs on I-5 before the CA-99 split drawn based on the suggestions of National Highway 1 and Bickendan...

Quote from: national highway 1 on May 31, 2011, 05:39:10 AM
Left Panel:
EXIT 221
JCT CA 99 1 1/2 MILES
Middle Panel:
I-5 NORTH
San Francisco
Sacramento
Right Panel:
EXIT 219B
Laval Road West

Quote from: Bickendan on June 01, 2011, 01:47:00 AM
Or even:
Left panel
CA 99 Golden State Freeway
Right panel
I-5 West Side Freeway

Mods: If you feel that this should be in the Road-Related Illustrations thread, feel free to move it.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

national highway 1

Exactly what I meant, myosh_tino! Great work!  :clap:

agentsteel53

I remember the button copy shields and they were indeed fugly - it's not just the angle at work here, it is the non-standard stretched design as well. 

the largest shield I can recall is that I-95 at the beginning of the NY Thruway which Quillz posted a photo of.  But some of the shields which are painted directly in the lane might be larger.

tough to tell because of the angles - I believe they are probably significantly heightened vertically to compensate for the foreshortening and make them look approximately correct when being driven over.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

Pavement marking shields are indeed bigger--the 2di shield at smallest is 6' x 15' according to the 2004 SHS book.

I think the pavement shields are in a whole separate class of shields that it's not fair to compare to regular sign shields.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Alex

Quote from: Quillz on May 30, 2011, 09:45:31 PM

Definitely the largest I have seen. That photo size does not do it justice.

Though temporary and long gone, these fugly things were quite large as well:

Michael

In the mid 1990s, NYSDOT reconstructed NY 5 east of Auburn, and installed huge NY 5 signs.

Duke87

Quote from: Alex on June 03, 2011, 04:44:34 PM
Quote from: Quillz on May 30, 2011, 09:45:31 PM
{Huge I-95 shield at New England thruway toll plaza}

Definitely the largest I have seen. That photo size does not do it justice.

Compare it to the minivan waiting in the lane next to it. That sucker's gotta be six feet tall.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

cu2010

Quote from: Michael on June 04, 2011, 01:34:33 PM
In the mid 1990s, NYSDOT reconstructed NY 5 east of Auburn, and installed huge NY 5 signs.

NY104 has some even bigger than that after a recent reconstruction project east of Oswego...they're so large that they make the standard-sized banner look tiny!
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

pianocello

Although not as big as ones previously posted, normal route signs in Indiana seem to be a lot bigger than in other states
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

architect77

Quote from: DTComposer on May 31, 2011, 02:13:26 AM

Why isn't the I-5 shield centered? Just another Caltrans mystery...
They were trying to compensate for the foreshortening caused by the angle. Would it have killed them to mount these signs with a bracket to properly face the road?

Brandon

Quote from: architect77 on June 27, 2011, 04:58:57 PM
They were trying to compensate for the foreshortening caused by the angle. Would it have killed them to mount these signs with a bracket to properly face the road?

If it's CalTrans, you just answered your own question.  :pan:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.