News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Street blades by city

Started by Buffaboy, October 13, 2015, 07:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Burien, Washington, a suburb of Seattle, has some weird street blades:

Non-rectangular street sign in Burien by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Revive 755

Quote from: Big John on January 25, 2016, 03:27:13 PM
For 2009 MUTCD, Section 2D.43. Orange is no longer allowed.

I really wish there was more push back against that provision - it is one of the few parts IMHO where the MUTCD goes too far without enough justification.  While orange may not be the best color, I do not see why purple could not be allowed in areas without any toll faculties, and why a few more colors could not be allowed for blades not attached to signal mast arms - perhaps similarly to the verbiage used for the colors for tourist wayfinding signs.

As for the more unique street name signs in Illinois:

* Downtown Arlington Heights

* Hoffman Estates variant

* Carthage vertical version

* Griggsville

* North Aurora (which is changing over to white on blue per a newspaper article a few months ago).

* Goreville

* St. Peters, Missouri, used to use Blue on White (Example 1) (Example with less blurring), but I believe they are switching over to the more standard white on blue.

jakeroot

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 11, 2016, 01:54:05 PM
* St. Peters, Missouri, used to use Blue on White (Example 1) (Example with less blurring)

With Streetview, all you need to do is click around until you find a less blurry picture. Alternatively, use the "historic imagery" option to see if older imagery is less blurry, either because the algorithm didn't unecessarily blur a road sign, or the street view car was closer to the curb, making for a closer, sharper photo of the sign.

Same intersection, much closer view: https://goo.gl/JgTeYM

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 11, 2016, 01:54:05 PM
Quote from: Big John on January 25, 2016, 03:27:13 PM
For 2009 MUTCD, Section 2D.43. Orange is no longer allowed.

I really wish there was more push back against that provision - it is one of the few parts IMHO where the MUTCD goes too far without enough justification.  While orange may not be the best color, I do not see why purple could not be allowed in areas without any toll faculties, and why a few more colors could not be allowed for blades not attached to signal mast arms - perhaps similarly to the verbiage used for the colors for tourist wayfinding signs.

As for the more unique street name signs in Illinois:

* Downtown Arlington Heights

* Hoffman Estates variant

* Carthage vertical version

* Griggsville

* North Aurora (which is changing over to white on blue per a newspaper article a few months ago).

* Goreville

* St. Peters, Missouri, used to use Blue on White (Example 1) (Example with less blurring), but I believe they are switching over to the more standard white on blue.

The Mesa Fiesta District has red and purple signs that are still being installed today.  I wonder how they were able to get away with that.  Perhaps because it is a historic district?

At least the newest installs are no longer using Clearview, but are still using a non-compliant color.

US71

Fort Smith, AR uses White on Blue, except private streets which are White on Green.

Fayetteville, AR is just the opposite.

Springfield, MO uses White on Green, but White on Brown for historic districts.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mapman1071

Maricopa County, AZ (No Block #'s)
(Includes All Non Incorporated Towns and Cities and County Islands) 
Also can be found in older areas of Avondale, Goodyear, Litchfield Park
White on Green, Public Street
White on Brown, Private Street

Phoenix
Black on White

Glendale, AZ
White on Green

Peoria, AZ
Black On White

Avondale
White On Green

Goodyear
White on Green

Litchfield Park
White on Green With City Logo (No Block #'s)

Scottsdale
White On Green

Town Of Paradise Valley
White on Blue (No Block #'s)

Tempe
White on Green

Mesa
White on Green

Chandler
White on Brown with City Logo

Gilbert
White on Green

coatimundi

It was a lot harder to find a picture of a Salinas street sign, so I guess I'll have to go out and take some. But they use a non-standard Serif font for both their blades and the signs on the traffic signals.
https://goo.gl/maps/JF7yAHD7obR2
https://goo.gl/maps/GizVNGTfB7R2

Marina used to use brown blades, and there are still quite a few of those, but the newer ones are white on blue with a variation on the city's seal: https://goo.gl/maps/HS7qmN3bguH2

Meanwhile, Schoonover Park - owned by Cal State Monterey Bay - uses white on blue with a CSUMB logo: https://goo.gl/maps/VC4Qb2g41fq

And little Del Rey Oaks uses white on brown with its seal, an oak tree: https://goo.gl/maps/mK5NMxFddjx

roadman

Many cities and towns in the Greater Boston area include their seal on street signs.  To me, it's always been a stupid practice as a) the details of the shield are basically illegible unless you're standing right up against the sign and b) unlike the rest of the sign, the seals typically become totally worn out in only one or two years.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pink Jazz

Quote from: mapman1071 on December 18, 2016, 07:54:02 PM
Maricopa County, AZ (No Block #'s)
(Includes All Non Incorporated Towns and Cities and County Islands) 
Also can be found in older areas of Avondale, Goodyear, Litchfield Park
White on Green, Public Street
White on Brown, Private Street

Phoenix
Black on White

Glendale, AZ
White on Green

Peoria, AZ
Black On White

Avondale
White On Green

Goodyear
White on Green

Litchfield Park
White on Green With City Logo (No Block #'s)

Scottsdale
White On Green

Town Of Paradise Valley
White on Blue (No Block #'s)

Tempe
White on Green

Mesa
White on Green

Chandler
White on Brown with City Logo

Gilbert
White on Green

For signalized intersections Phoenix and Peoria are White on Green.  Also, Surprise is White on Brown, and Queen Creek is White on Green.

Also, I think Maricopa County for private streets is White on Blue, not White on Brown.  I have seen some White on Blue signs on county islands.

Mesa has some areas with other colors for signalized intersections.  In the Fiesta District, they are either White on Red (older installs) or White on Purple (newer installs).  The Power Knowledge Corridor (Power Road from Williams Field to Ray) has White on Blue, and Eastmark has White on Brown.

Downtown Chandler has White on Teal.

jmd41280

Pittsburgh's street signs are white on blue.  The signs at the major intersections include the block numbers and the name of the neighborhood on the top of the sign (in this case, Oakland).  The signs at the minor intersections just have the street name on it.

Oakland neighborhood - Pittsburgh, PA by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Duke87 on January 23, 2016, 03:06:09 PM
Northampton PA has black on orange street signs:

No, this is not construction signage. They are all over town and quite permanent.

Acknowledging the bump- On my travels today I passed through Northampton and sure enough they still have the orange signs. There was a kerfuffle over a decade ago about them with the feds, but then they said back in 2011 they didn't have to change the signs out right away for the proper colors, only when they needed to be replaced. Link to an article (sorta paywalled, but you might be able to Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C then paste the text to your favorite software before it disappears). There has definitely been some sign updating since the original edict. This location grew an "E" on its 21st St. sign after 2016.

burgess87

Austin's are far and away the best in my point of view.  (bonus neighborhood sign in link 1, still in FHWA font!)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Esj2psFtuaNB3B3Y9

https://maps.app.goo.gl/3btQtiR7LrJYXM5H7

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.