News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Doomed US highways

Started by bugo, April 30, 2014, 11:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Two highways that could be decommissioned at any time are US 61 north of Saint Paul and US 60 west of Phoenix.  Both of these stretches of highway are in states that have historically been very hostile to US routes.  I'm not talking about highways that parallel future interstate corridors, I'm talking about roads that could easily be decommissioned without any existing roads being built.  US 266 also comes to mind, but I think ODOT forgot about it (not to mention that an OK 266 exists north of Catoosa.)

Quillz

US-95 could potentially be eaten up by an extension of I-11, since I could see Reno eventually pushing for a Vegas-Reno Interstate corridor.

agentsteel53

I'm surprised US-85 still exists in Texas.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

US 400 runs concurrent with other U.S. routes in most of Kansas. It doesn't seem to add a lot of value to the system, in addition there not being a US 00 parent route (I doubt if that bothers the average motorist though).

Thing 342

If I-73 (at least to Roanoke) & I-99 are ever completed, then I suspect that most, if not all, of US-220 will be decommissioned.

hotdogPi

All of them, according to FritzOwl.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Zeffy

US 46? I feel like it could turn into a state route at any time, even though I don't think the US 46 designation would be used anywhere else...

Quote from: 1 on April 30, 2014, 03:22:05 PM
All of them, according to FritzOwl.

:-D
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alex

I always felt that when US 222 was shortened to Conowingo, MD its days were numbered. Years later its still hanging on, but more of it is freeway.

US 113 in Delaware could go by the wayside with it being shortened from Dover to Milford in 2004. Both causes would require two states to petition for their removal, so that is likely going to save them.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Quillz on April 30, 2014, 02:27:59 PM
US-95 could potentially be eaten up by an extension of I-11, since I could see Reno eventually pushing for a Vegas-Reno Interstate corridor.

What are the current Reno-Vegas traffic volumes like?  I recall that being a sleepy corridor.

hbelkins

US 460 in Kentucky west of Pikeville.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

Quote from: Quillz on April 30, 2014, 02:27:59 PM

I'm not talking about highways that parallel future interstate corridors, I'm talking about roads that could easily be decommissioned without any existing roads being built.

vdeane

US 15 north of Williamsport
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beeper1

All of these routes are redundant to Interstates and could be eliminated:
US 5 - whole route
US 11 - all except the part across northern NY, which could be renumbered an extension of US-2
US 12 - east of twin cities
US 19 - along I-79 corridor
US 21 - whole route
US 22 - east of Harrisburg
US 30 - whole route
US 31 - south of Indianapolis
US 36 - east of Indianapolis
US 42 - whole route
US 46 - whole route
US 51 - south of Memphis
US 65 - north of Des Moines
US 69 - north of Kansas City
US 71 - south of Shreveport
US 80 - Cut back to exist only between Meridian and Macon
US 81 - north of Watertown, SD
US 85 - south of Cheyenne.
US 90 - whole route. Section west of San Antonio taken over by extended US-285. TX-54 extended to cover remaider to Van Horn.
US 91 - whole route
US 92 - whole route
US 113 - whole route
US 117 - whole route
US 130 - whole route
US 138 - whole route
US 159 - whole route

FightingIrish

Quote from: Chris on April 30, 2014, 03:12:47 PM
US 400 runs concurrent with other U.S. routes in most of Kansas. It doesn't seem to add a lot of value to the system, in addition there not being a US 00 parent route (I doubt if that bothers the average motorist though).

The state of Kansas already knows that. US 400 is merely a placeholder for their near-impossible dream of running I-66 through that corridor. Sure, US 400 is pretty useless, but it will stay until Kansas gets bored with it.

Alps

US 46, though short, is separate from I-80 for its entire length and serves a ton of local traffic (5-10 mile range) through NJ. It deserves to remain in the network just like US 309 and 611 should.

Charles2

US 78 between Memphis and Birmingham? Or for that matter, between Memphis and Atlanta?
US 11 between New Orleans and Bristol, or even further north into Virginia?
Once I-49 is completed, should US 71 be put on a death watch?

US71

Quote from: Charles2 on April 30, 2014, 09:25:36 PM
Once I-49 is completed, should US 71 be put on a death watch?

No. Arkansas will hide it, but south of Shreveport it will still exist, as it will north of St Joseph, MO

I-49 ends at Three Trails Crossing, but 71 continues to I-29 unless you redesignate  it MO x49 or MO x29.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Molandfreak

Quote from: US71 on April 30, 2014, 09:57:02 PM
No. Arkansas will hide it
Even though AHTD has opted to have 71 parallel route 549 rather than follow it?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 30, 2014, 02:33:44 PM
I'm surprised US-85 still exists in Texas.
Especially when there is not one sign for it in New Mexico.

The list of US Highway eliminations I would like to see is too large to put in words.  I've been working on maps, but it's a long project.  There are a LOT of redundancies, illogical meandering and other unnecessary bullcrap.
The amount of mileage I would get rid of is in the 10's of thousands of miles.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mcdonaat

US 71 south of Shreveport is still an active route. Sure, it parallels an Interstate in a sense, but it gives a route from Alexandria to Shreveport that passes through some real places. I'd rather get stranded on US 71 than LA 1, since you have Tioga, Colfax, Montgomery, Clarence, Campti, Coushatta, and then Bossier City. For LA 1, you have Boyce and Natchitoches. Plenty of gas stations along US 71 as well. It's the preferred route from Pineville (across the river from Alexandria) to Shreveport-Bossier without having to cross the river.

Now, south of Alexandria, you have Lecompte and Bunkie, and that's it. It does, however, give a direct route from US 190 to Alexandria.

I would like to see US 165 decommissioned below Kinder, and US 167 decommissioned below Lafayette.

hbelkins

Does US 60 need to exist east of Sam Black Church, WV? From there to Lexington, Va., it either runs parallel to or concurrently with I-64. From Lexington on eastward to Richmond, it's not really a major highway the way US 460 or US 58 are across Virginia. And from Richmond on east to Hampton Roads, again it's either adjacent to or concurrent with I-64.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WichitaRoads

Quote from: FightingIrish on April 30, 2014, 05:58:54 PM
Quote from: Chris on April 30, 2014, 03:12:47 PM

The state of Kansas already knows that. US 400 is merely a placeholder for their near-impossible dream of running I-66 through that corridor. Sure, US 400 is pretty useless, but it will stay until Kansas gets bored with it.

Eh, I don't know the actual counts between Wichita and the Eastern terminus at Three Corners (KS OK MO), but every time I drive the stretch it's well worn and full of trucks. It was, in it's previous life, a very busy 2-lane K-96. I hate the number, of course, but it does have a value regionally. It won't go away... unless a new number is assigned... which won't happen.

ICTRds

Henry

I'm surprised that US 166 and US 266 have been allowed to survive while their parent route was entirely replaced by parts of (in east to west order): I-55, I-44, I-40, I-15 and I-10. What's wrong with making them state routes of the same number?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Molandfreak

Quote from: Henry on May 01, 2014, 04:02:04 PM
I'm surprised that US 166 and US 266 have been allowed to survive while their parent route was entirely replaced by parts of (in east to west order): I-55, I-44, I-40, I-15 and I-10. What's wrong with making them state routes of the same number?
238 138.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Brandon

Quote from: Molandfreak on May 01, 2014, 04:11:33 PM
Quote from: Henry on May 01, 2014, 04:02:04 PM
238 138.

At least it has interstate company - I-238.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.