News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstates Routes Entirely Multiplexed...

Started by thenetwork, May 12, 2014, 09:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevalDragon

Wait - I 41 is a real thing now? I thought it was still in the planning stages? I didn't see any signs of it this afternoon between Neenah and Milwaukee.

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 12, 2014, 10:08:37 PM
Quote from: FightingIrish on May 12, 2014, 09:26:49 PM
I-894 in Wisconsin is multiplied with I-43 or US45 it's entire route. By the end of this year, it will multiplex with I-41 for it's entire route.

I'm not sure what I-41's exact route is supposed to be, but won't it all be multiplexed with either I-894, US 45, or US 41?
I-41/US-41 all the way from Green Bay to the Tri-State north end in IL.  Add US 45 from the Germantown Merge to the Hale Interchange, I-894 for the whole route, I-94 from the Mitchell to the Tri-State.  So in essense it's a cover route
[/quote]

oscar

Quote from: -NCX75- on May 12, 2014, 11:29:35 PM
I-2 in south TX shares its alignment with US-83...

And I-69C and I-69E are multiplexed, respectively, with US 281 and US 77 (plus, at the south end of 69E, US 83). 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

roadman65

I-49's Missouri segment is completely concurrent with US 71.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: mcdonaat on May 12, 2014, 11:53:18 PM
Quote from: pianocello on May 12, 2014, 11:37:55 PM
Isn't all of I-49 in Missouri cosigned with US-71? If so, I hope 71 is moved back onto its old route at some point.
I was told a while back that US Routes cannot be moved back onto their former alignment if it is a downgrade to highway. I already asked about moving US 90 once I-49 was signed, with no luck.

I-910 in New Orleans - multiplexed with US 90 Business
NC did it with US 117 and VA did it with US 13.  Just as PA says FU to the FHWA about traffic signals on interstates, any state really can to this.  FHWA ruling is not law (unless Buddy Schuster cons the rest of Congress to make it so), so they cannot take action on a state if they violate most MUTCD rulings.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

QuoteI-110 in MS is multiplexed with MS 15.

Not anymore, as I understand it.

QuoteNC did it with US 117 and VA did it with US 13.

NC flouted AASHTO in this case, and in the Virginia case, US 13 went back to what is still a major 4+ lane route.

QuoteFHWA ruling is not law (unless Buddy Schuster cons the rest of Congress to make it so), so they cannot take action on a state if they violate most MUTCD rulings.

Actually, what you'll find is that, unless Congressional action dictates otherwise, FHWA rulings *DO* carry the force of law.  But since we're talking about US routes, FHWA doesn't get involved with their routings.  That's strictly between AASHTO and the states.

PurdueBill

With the move of US 24 to go around the north side of Fort Wayne instead of the south side, I-469 is now independent between where US 33 leaves and where US 30 joins.  Only a few miles (exits 11 to 18) but it is now independent of US routes for a short stretch whereas it used to always be combined with 33, 24, or 30.

CNGL-Leudimin

I-305 and MD I-595. Both are signed as, and run entirely concurrent with, US 50 AFAIK.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

roadman65

Quote from: froggie on May 13, 2014, 06:27:13 AM

QuoteNC did it with US 117 and VA did it with US 13.

NC flouted AASHTO in this case, and in the Virginia case, US 13 went back to what is still a major 4+ lane route.

QuoteFHWA ruling is not law (unless Buddy Schuster cons the rest of Congress to make it so), so they cannot take action on a state if they violate most MUTCD rulings.

Actually, what you'll find is that, unless Congressional action dictates otherwise, FHWA rulings *DO* carry the force of law.  But since we're talking about US routes, FHWA doesn't get involved with their routings.  That's strictly between AASHTO and the states.

Then if FHWA carries the full force of the law how is the Town of Breezewood allowed to get away with being a stumbling block for the PennDOT or PTC from making the I-70 and Pennsylvania Turnpike connection? Most of all how is Pennsylvania allowed to get away with having signals on I-70 and I-676 near the Ben Franklin Bridge?

Better yet, how was the Woodrow Wilson Bridge replacement allowed to still be a draw span when ruling prohibits such things on the system?

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Quote from: Molandfreak on May 12, 2014, 10:38:20 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on May 12, 2014, 10:09:09 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on May 12, 2014, 10:06:52 PM
* I-172 with IL 110

* I-88 with IL 110, depending upon where the actual western terminus of I-88 is (since the end/begin signs are west of I-80, see Streetview)
IL 110 follows another route for its entirely - what route depends on where.
That's not the question. The question is weather I-88 actually ends at I-80, or at the first at-grade west of I-80.

It ends at I-80 according to the mileposts and FHWA.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

pianocello

Even if it did end at the first at-grade west of 80, I-88 would still be completely multiplexed with a state route. IL-92 follows the John Deere Expressway (IL-5/I-88) all the way from the 1st Avenue interchange in Silvis to Exit 6 (Joslin).
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

hotdogPi

I-25 is so close, especially for a major 2di. Colorado Springs disqualifies it, though.

(Unless Google is wrong.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Henry

I-124 with US 27

Quote from: thenetwork on May 12, 2014, 09:07:21 PM
-- I-277 in Akron is completely duplexed and signed with US-224 on its entire route.
I-277 in Charlotte is also multiplexed with another route the whole way around (US 74 on the John Belk Freeway, and NC 16 on the Brookshire Freeway).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TheStranger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 13, 2014, 10:24:54 AM
I-305 and MD I-595. Both are signed as, and run entirely concurrent with, US 50 AFAIK.

305 is an interesting case as later FHWA route logs suggest that it would include a section of freeway not part of US 50, but unsigned Route 51 (between US 50/Route 99 and E Street) that was built as I-80/US 99E in the 1960s.

Essentially, Business 80 paralleling 29th and 30th Streets has a concurrency with TWO unsigned routes!

The only other California all-concurrency interstates:

One existed briefly in the 1960s and was likely never signed: I-105 along US 101 on the Santa Ana Freeway between I-5 and the San Bernardino Freeway (today's US 101 exit 1D).

The other: the 1974-1982 I-15E with unsigned state route 194.  (Whole thing, which was US 395, is now I-215)

Chris Sampang

bing101

http://socalregion.com/highways/socal_unsigned/foothill_fwy/

I noticed that I-210 according to a 1971 map is entire route co-signed with CA-118 prior to an updated version of Foothill Freeway in Pasadena.

vtk

For a brief time in the 60s, I think all of I-271 was also OH 1.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

TheStranger

Quote from: bing101 on May 13, 2014, 08:14:31 PM
CA-51 Elvas/ Marconi Freeway/East Cap city Freeway.  was co-signed with I-80 prior to 1980. Since 1980 it has been known as Business 80.

Incorrect.

Route 51 was created in 1982 as an inventory number (unsigned) for Business 80.  Prior to that, the entire road WAS I-80 alone (1968-1981) or I-80/US 99E (1965-1967), and before that, US 99E in its entirety and US 40 from Arden Way northeastward.

The original Route 51 in the 1964 route renumbering was a former alignment of US 101 near Angel Stadium that was deleted from the system a year or two later.

Chris Sampang

doorknob60

Charles2

TheStranger

Surprised Nevada's 580 (concurrent with US 395 in its entirety) hasn't been given a mention yet.
Chris Sampang

Alex

MS 15 was dropped from the I110 overlap after the new MS 67 trumpet interchange with the realigned MS 15 opened in 2009. There is an end sign for MS 15/67 at I110.

PurdueBill

Regarding I-465, doesn't it breathe free of US and IN routes between exits 13 (US 36) and 25 (US 52)? 

pianocello

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 14, 2014, 12:06:02 AM
Regarding I-465, doesn't it breathe free of US and IN routes between exits 13 (US 36) and 25 (US 52)? 

Yes, although it is multiplexed with I-74 for 3 of those 12 miles.

On that note, I-865 is completely concurrent with US-52.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

vtk

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 14, 2014, 12:06:02 AM

Yes, but there's I-74 also, so I-465 is only overlap-free from interchange 16 to interchange 25.  Still, that seems to disqualify I-465.

But this brings to attention I-865, with US 52. Has that been mentioned yet?

Edit: apparently pianocello posted while I was researching, and I'm not ashamed to post essentially the same response.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

froggie

QuoteThen if FHWA carries the full force of the law how is the Town of Breezewood allowed to get away with being a stumbling block for the PennDOT or PTC from making the I-70 and Pennsylvania Turnpike connection? Most of all how is Pennsylvania allowed to get away with having signals on I-70 and I-676 near the Ben Franklin Bridge?

Exemptions can be (and are often) requested, subject to engineering study.  Bottom line is that FHWA has final approval over any design aspect on the Interstate system.  But, as it has been since the beginning, they leave actual construction to the states.

QuoteBetter yet, how was the Woodrow Wilson Bridge replacement allowed to still be a draw span when ruling prohibits such things on the system?

FHWA does not explicitly prohibit drawbridges on the Interstate system.  It highly discourages them, but they are not explicitly prohibited, as there are certain situations where a fixed-span may not be possible (I-264 VA and I-110 MS are examples).

DandyDan

I-129 is entirely multiplexed with US 20 and US 75.
I-380 in Iowa is multiplexed with IA 27 and US 218 (its northern end).

Way upthread, I-135 is mentioned, but it goes alone between I-35 (Kansas Turnpike) and the 47th St. S. exit (US 81).
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.