News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Freeways that shouldn't be extended

Started by mcdonaat, June 02, 2014, 11:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdonaat

I was driving along the Pineville Expressway, at the northern extreme of it, and took the ramp for US 71 North. I thought to myself, "I'm glad that they never extended this highway north along US 167, because it would completely tear up the communities." I thought the same about I-110 being extended north along US 61 in Baton Rouge, where it would create a mess of access roads to and from ExxonMobil facilities and Chevron facilities all along the coast.

Any highways that gracefully bow out, and shouldn't be extended?

Bruce

I-90's unfinished segment between the soon-to-be-demolished Alaskan Way Viaduct and 4th Avenue in SODO, Seattle. It would create a large wall south of Safeco Field.

hbelkins

I-26. A full freeway through southwestern Virginia is unnecessary.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Having both I-69E and I-69C is totally redundant as both alignments are too close to each other.  Have one or the other.

Then I-73 and I-74 is another one where only one freeway should be built.  Namely only I-73 south of Rockingham as I-74 should only go to Wilmington.  Looping back around to Myrtle Beach is too crazy and idea as north of Greensboro is as well. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Bruce on June 03, 2014, 07:58:57 PM
I-90's unfinished segment between the soon-to-be-demolished Alaskan Way Viaduct and 4th Avenue in SODO, Seattle. It would create a large wall south of Safeco Field.

But it's in a part of the city (mostly industrial, warehouses, etc.) where "building a wall" doesn't have as much of a downside, and would have provided an extremely useful connection so people from, say, the northwestern quadrant of the city wouldn't have to sit through a bunch of lights to get from 99 to I-5.

TEG24601

Quote from: Kacie Jane on June 03, 2014, 11:02:27 PM
Quote from: Bruce on June 03, 2014, 07:58:57 PM

But it's in a part of the city (mostly industrial, warehouses, etc.) where "building a wall" doesn't have as much of a downside, and would have provided an extremely useful connection so people from, say, the northwestern quadrant of the city wouldn't have to sit through a bunch of lights to get from 99 to I-5.

Better yet, it would have also provided direct access between the port and the Interstate Highway Network, instead of using city streets.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Henry

I-83 through Baltimore, because how would you connect Fayette Street to I-95 now? It would be better to reroute this around I-695 to absorb I-97, given how ridiculously short it is, and give the in-town route an I-x83 number, like I-183 or I-383. And I wouldn't be surprised if they went through with the plans to tear down the elevated portion downtown and truncate it further back.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Avalanchez71

The northern belt of TN SR 840.  The terrain is rocky and hilly.  It would bust up tons of farms in the area as well.  There is just no need for it and it appears it never had wide support.  The northern loop has no support and it is all but dead.

roadman65

Should I-99 be extended?  Many of us already think it is a waste of the interstate numbering system, so to extend it further south into MD really is useless.  I have driven US 220 between Bedford and Cumberland, and so no heavy traffic.  The two lane country road of US 220 was more than enough to handle what little traffic was using it.

What about from I-80 to Williamsport?  Is I-99 to be built for the sake of having it a freeway corridor from South Central PA to Rochester, NY really feasible as well?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mr_Northside

Quote from: roadman65 on June 04, 2014, 10:50:42 AM
Should I-99 be extended?  Many of us already think it is a waste of the interstate numbering system, so to extend it further south into MD really is useless.  I have driven US 220 between Bedford and Cumberland, and so no heavy traffic.  The two lane country road of US 220 was more than enough to handle what little traffic was using it.

VERY long term it would be rather logical to extend it south toward Cumberland... but since the $$ is being focused on the US-219 corridor (which is in more need of improvement) a ridge over in Somerset county for now, and US-220 isn't that bad there, that might be up to the next generation.

QuoteWhat about from I-80 to Williamsport?  Is I-99 to be built for the sake of having it a freeway corridor from South Central PA to Rochester, NY really feasible as well?

Most of it is already freeway.  PA-287 to west of Williamsport has been in limbo for some time, and still is.  I recall reading PennDOT is building an interchange (or at least an overpass) on US-220 just north of I-80, but haven't read anything about it recently.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

TheOneKEA

Quote from: Henry on June 04, 2014, 09:50:08 AM
I-83 through Baltimore, because how would you connect Fayette Street to I-95 now? It would be better to reroute this around I-695 to absorb I-97, given how ridiculously short it is, and give the in-town route an I-x83 number, like I-183 or I-383. And I wouldn't be surprised if they went through with the plans to tear down the elevated portion downtown and truncate it further back.

The final plan for I-83 to I-95 involved a six-lane tunnel under the eastern side of the Inner Harbor to bypass Fells Point. Given the age and condition of the elevated structure, one conceptual solution would be to tear down the elevated segment anyway and replace it with a longer tunnel. You might even be able to minimize the underwater segments of the tunnel with better geometry.

My vote for a freeway that shouldn't be extended is US 29, north of I-70. There's no point in doing so, as the furthest it could go is MD 26, and for that short a distance, a four-lane divided surface route is more than enough.

hbelkins

Since the federal funding (Appalachian Regional Commission) went away for US 220 and was transferred elsewhere in Pennsylvania, I'd say the prospects for extending I-99 south to Cumberland are not only dead, but extinct and being used as fossil fuels somewhere up on US 322.

Alps

Strider

Quote from: roadman65 on June 03, 2014, 10:17:26 PM
Having both I-69E and I-69C is totally redundant as both alignments are too close to each other.  Have one or the other.

Then I-73 and I-74 is another one where only one freeway should be built.  Namely only I-73 south of Rockingham as I-74 should only go to Wilmington.  Looping back around to Myrtle Beach is too crazy and idea as north of Greensboro is as well.

I-74 in NC. Their routing is ridiculous. I think I-74 should be renumbered to something else.

Strider

Quote from: hbelkins on June 03, 2014, 09:52:44 PM

I-26 doesn't enter Virginia. it ends at the TN/VA state line. Perhaps you mean in Tennessee?

on_wisconsin

WIS 26 to the north.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Quote from: Strider on June 05, 2014, 01:02:56 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 03, 2014, 09:52:44 PM

I-26 doesn't enter Virginia. it ends at the TN/VA state line. Perhaps you mean in Tennessee?

Actually, it ends short of the state line, at the US 11W interchange, and the freeway from there to the state line carries only US 23. My comment was meant for those who think it would be a good idea to turn 23 into a full freeway through Virginia and into Kentucky.

Henry

Quote from: Brandon on June 05, 2014, 01:31:58 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 05, 2014, 12:21:50 AM
I-5.

Tell that to FritzOwl.
That doesn't count, because it hits both the Canadian and Mexican borders.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

vdeane

I-81.  As much as I'd like to fix the border breezewoods, I don't want to see Hill Island paved over.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

The Atlantic City Expressway should not be extended east.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

bugo

Henry

Quote from: 1 on June 05, 2014, 09:41:40 PM
Again, that would be impossible anyway, because of the ocean. That's like saying I-264 in Virginia Beach should not be extended east.

bugo

Quote from: Henry on June 06, 2014, 02:33:57 PM
Again, that would be impossible anyway, because of the ocean. That's like saying I-264 in Virginia Beach should not be extended east.

And it flies right over Henry's head...

jakeroot

Quote from: bugo on June 06, 2014, 02:46:37 PM
Quote from: Henry on June 06, 2014, 02:33:57 PM

And it flies right over Henry's head...

Not once but twice...

Quote from: Henry on June 05, 2014, 04:40:10 PM
Quote from: Brandon on June 05, 2014, 01:31:58 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 05, 2014, 12:21:50 AM
I-5.

Tell that to FritzOwl.
That doesn't count, because it hits both the Canadian and Mexican borders.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.