News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Isolated" freeways

Started by getemngo, June 12, 2014, 07:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdindy88

For Indiana, the Vincennes and Kokomo bypasses should count. And small portions of the Bloomington (from SR 48 to SR 45) and Muncie (from US 35 to SR 32) bypasses should also work.

As for non-bypass isolated freeways, two separate sections of the Lloyd Expressway (west of US 41 and east of US 41, but not including the interchange with US 41.) And even when the Lloyd/41 interchange is rebuilt it will still be isolated unless it is ever connected to I-69 as a full freeway. I guess the SR 49 highway (a bypass but also a through-way as well) from US 30 to Vale Park interchange is another decent stretch of freeway. Finally SR 641, but only temporarily until a connection with I-70 is made.

jemacedo9

Quote from: briantroutman on June 14, 2014, 04:39:25 PM
Yes, but the US 219 freeway running from Somerset to Ebensburg doesn't directly connect to any other freeways, so the two together are essentially "off the grid" .

Ah, yes, you're correct...

bing101

How about Westside Parkway in Bakerfield and Alfred Harrel Highway in the Same area they are Isolated freeways.

http://www.bakersfieldfreeways.us/project_westside_parkway.html

http://socalregion.com/highways/socal_unsigned/alfred_harrell_hwy/

bing101

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

hbelkins

I couldn't really think of any Kentucky examples, with the possible exception of the US 23 Pikeville cut-through, but then I thought of the limited-access portion of KY 4 (New Circle Road) in Lexington.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CrystalWalrein

The Henderson Expressway in the Providence, RI area, and TX 6 through Bryan and College Station. I-2 and the 69's in the Rio Grande Valley, as of now.

Also, A-70 around Saguenay, Québec, and a short segment of ON 11 north of Thunder Bay.

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 12, 2014, 08:53:27 PM
Perhaps the category should be narrowed to exclude freeways that continue on in expressway/semi-expressway form on one or both ends.  That said:

* The Elgin-O'Hare Expressway in Illinois, although construction is currently underway on the eastward extension that will connect it to I-290.

* The Amstutz Expressway/IL 137 in Waukegan - Originally intended though to connect to I-94 at the IL 137 interchange, although the east-west section along the east-west part of IL 137 didn't survive the EIS process.  The isolated north-south section was supposed to be much longer though.

* IL 8/IL 116 from Washington Street in Peoria to Main Street in East Peoria

You can add to the Illinois list,

* Lawrenceville/Vincennes Bypass (US-50)

* Elgin Bypass (US-20)

* Lake Shore Drive (US-41) north of the Loop
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Brandon on June 14, 2014, 10:26:01 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on June 12, 2014, 08:53:27 PM
Perhaps the category should be narrowed to exclude freeways that continue on in expressway/semi-expressway form on one or both ends.  That said:

* The Elgin-O'Hare Expressway in Illinois, although construction is currently underway on the eastward extension that will connect it to I-290.

* The Amstutz Expressway/IL 137 in Waukegan - Originally intended though to connect to I-94 at the IL 137 interchange, although the east-west section along the east-west part of IL 137 didn't survive the EIS process.  The isolated north-south section was supposed to be much longer though.

* IL 8/IL 116 from Washington Street in Peoria to Main Street in East Peoria

You can add to the Illinois list,

* Lawrenceville/Vincennes Bypass (US-50)

* Elgin Bypass (US-20)

* Lake Shore Drive (US-41) north of the Loop

more maybes for IL

parts of Palatine Road it's an junior expressway

parts of Skokie Highway US 41

Ned Weasel

Kansas examples:

• US 169 most of the way through Miami County.
  • K-18 from just east of I-70, all the way to K-113 (isolated because of the lack of a freeway-to-freeway connection to I-70, plus the at-grade intersection with Boller Road).
  • US 54/400 approximately between Kingman and Goddard, although this isolation is probably only temporary.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

vtk

Ohio:

• US 23 in the middle of Delaware. Not really a bypass, as it cuts right through town.  Not an expressway directly north or south of Delaware.  Almost too short to count, having only one complete and one partial interchange, though until ca 2001 it had another partial interchange on its south end.
  • OH 104 Frank—Refugee Expressway in Columbus.  Isolated from I-71 and US 33 because OH 104 does not retain freeway characteristics into those interchanges.

There might be an example or two in the Cincinnati area...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Alex

Quote from: roadman65 on June 14, 2014, 04:43:04 PM
Does GA 204 count near Savanah?  If I am not mistaken it is not a direct freeway to freeway connection between it and I-95 sort of like I-99 to I-80 in PA.

Truman Parkway east from GA 204 to President Street yes, but GA 204 itself is not a freeway at all. There is an interchange at US 17, but the route is at grade on either side of the exit.

You can add Ronald Reagan Parkway east of Atlanta as a bona fide isolated freeway too.

Thing 342

All of Lynchburg's Freeways (US-29/460 bypass, US-29 Madison Heights Bypass, US-29-BR/501 Lynchburg Expy) are disconnected from each other.

TheStranger

Quote from: bing101 on June 14, 2014, 07:48:51 PM

http://socalregion.com/highways/socal_unsigned/pacific-highway-in-san-diego/

Pacific Highway/old US 101 directly connects with I-5, so it's not isolated from the local freeway network at all.

The old I-15/US 395 freeway (Kearny Villa Road) between Miramar Road and Route 163 ALMOST is, but does have a direct ramp from the southbound side to 163 south.

Quote from: bing101How about Westside Parkway in Bakerfield and Alfred Harrel Highway in the Same area they are Isolated freeways.

http://www.bakersfieldfreeways.us/project_westside_parkway.html

http://socalregion.com/highways/socal_unsigned/alfred_harrell_hwy/

The Westside Parkway is only isolated for the time being - it is slated to be future Route 58 (with a connection to Route 99 and the existing Route 58 freeway).
Chris Sampang

US 41

Quote from: hbelkins on June 14, 2014, 10:05:30 PM
I couldn't really think of any Kentucky examples, with the possible exception of the US 23 Pikeville cut-through, but then I thought of the limited-access portion of KY 4 (New Circle Road) in Lexington.

The Hal Rogers Parkway and US 68 in Maysville. Although both of those are 2 lane freeways.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

hbelkins

I thought about the Hal Rogers, but didn't count it because of the at-grades it has in the middle of the route. The KY 66 and KY 118 interchanges are at-grades, and there are others that have been built in Clay and Leslie counties.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Anthony_JK

Only example I can think of in LA is the Earhart Expressway in NOLA...the upcoming construction of ramps to Airline Highway will help some, but until there is a connection to I-310 or I-10, it would count as an "isolated" freeway, right??

Duke87

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 14, 2014, 12:42:08 AM
CT 187/189 in Windsor/East Granby.

Ehhhh... I dispute that being a "freeway". It's a section of divided highway that has an interchange. The speed limit is only 50 and it's less than a mile from the 187/189 trumpet to the intersection where they split apart again.

I will grant you, for Connecticut that is special. But in the greater scheme of things if "it's divided and it has an interchange but no driveways or intersections for some length" qualifies something as a freeway, there are a bajillion little segments of ARC roadways, urban overpasses, and random roads wherever that also count.

Here is a similar length segment of road that is divided and has an interchange but no driveways or intersections. Is this a freeway? No, it's an interchange on a divided highway.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

amroad17

I guess the US 30 freeway around Delphos, OH could be considered an "isolated freeway."
The portions of the US 52 freeways between Portsmouth, OH and around Ironton, OH could also be considered as "isolated freeways."
The new OH 73 freeway bypass of Wilmington, OH is also one.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

mgk920

Quote from: on_wisconsin on June 14, 2014, 08:07:33 PM
WIS 11 around Monroe, WI  https://goo.gl/maps/BaMRB

Besides WI 11 at Monroe, also in Wisconsin:

-WI 54 (Mason St Fox River bridge) in Green Bay;
-Campus Dr in Madison;
-US 51 in the Windsor-De Forest area, also in the McFarland area;
-US 14 from just south of the Beltline in Madison to Oregon;
-(until the WI 29 and US 53 freeways were completed in the Eau Claire area in the 2000s, US 53 from the City's north side area to the Rice Lake/Haugen area was an isolated freeway as per the definitions of the O.P. - ditto WI 29 from WI 124 in Chippewa Falls to just east of WI 27 at Cadott);
-US 53 from the north edge of La Crosse through Holmen (its interchange at I-90 includes ramp intersections).
-WI 64 in the Somerset/New Richmond area (note, when the currently under construction Saint Croix River bridge is complete, it will still be isolated - MN 36, which it will feed into, is a suburban surface arterial street);
-WI 26 from NE Janesville to the north end of Milton, from the south end of Fort Atkinson to the north end of Jefferson and around Watertown.

(Note, I am not including several stretches of WI 29, US 10, US 151 NE of Madison, etc, where one and/or the other ends of the major four lane highway directly connect to a system-connected interstate or compatible highway via a true freeway-to-freeway interchange with no intermediate signalized or STOP sign intersections nor roundabouts.  The freeway sections of US 151 west of Madison are thus 'isolated' under this criterium.)

Mike

bzakharin

Quote from: GaryV on June 14, 2014, 07:31:32 AM
Does having an interchange make it a freeway?  If so, there's a Very Short Section of freeway on US-127 at the M-57 interchange.
Then NJ would be teeming with them, State routes 10, 38, 41, 70, 73, US 1, 130, 46. That's just off the top of my head.
And to stretch a point, the I-75 freeway between St. Ignace and Sault Ste. Marie is isolated, as it has a non-freeway bridge at either end.
NJ 55 northbound narrows to 1 lane before entering NJ 42

Avalanchez71

What about US 70 through downtown Jackson, TN?  I seem to remember that there are a couple of interchanges downtown.  US 70 has been rerouted so many times in Jackson, TN it is hard to keep up with it.

amroad17

US 35 freeway from Gallipolis, OH to northwest of Rio Grande, OH as well as the Jackson, OH bypass.
US 20 freeway near Cherry Valley, NY.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

mrsman

I question some of the earlier California examples listed.  I don't believe that Pacific Highway, Kearney Villa, or La Cienega Blvd are long enough to be considered freeways.  They are merely express portions of local streets (or possibly expressways in the California sense of the term) with no at-grade crossings. 

Also, in California there are Freeway Entrance signs when entering a freeway.  These roads don't have them.  Nor are there end freeways signs at the end.  Even short freeways like the Marina Freeway have these signs.

La Cienega may come close (and in fact was a historical alignment for the never built 170 southern extension) but the light on northbound La Cienega at Stocker kills the freeway treatment.

TheStranger

Quote from: mrsman on June 16, 2014, 07:47:31 PM
I question some of the earlier California examples listed.  I don't believe that Pacific Highway, Kearney Villa, or La Cienega Blvd are long enough to be considered freeways.  They are merely express portions of local streets (or possibly expressways in the California sense of the term) with no at-grade crossings. 

Simply using "freeway entrance" signs as a strict determiner whether a route is a freeway or not in California is a little bit of a misnomer; by California standards, that would include the one-interchange Skyline Boulevard/Route 35 segment from Hickey Boulevard to Westmoor Avenue in Daly City.  (Conversely, the north part of Junipero Serra Freeway along Route 1 in San Francisco isn't given the freeway entrance signs at all, even though there are three interchanges north of 280!)  The examples brought forth here all have multiple interchanges in a row, which I think is sufficient for purposes of the thread.

1. Pacific Highway wouldn't count anyway as isolated (it's connected to I-5) but it was built as a US 101 freeway alignment in the 1940s.  It DOES have four interchanges before I-5: a Y at Barnett Avenue, Witherby Street, the frontage road, and Washington Street.

2. Kearny Villa was the I-15 (originally US 395) freeway until 1984 and has two interchanges (Miramar Way, Harris Plant Road) before reaching Route 163. 

3. La Cienega, which IS an isolated freeway through Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Area, has actually  four interchanges as well: Wrightcrest Drive (southbound), the recreation area road, Stocker Street (northbound), Slauson Avenue.
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.