News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Exit 0

Started by Duke87, July 25, 2009, 09:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Quote from: Darkangel on October 08, 2009, 07:23:52 AM
I-110 in Louisiana has too many Exits 1 - from south to north - 1I-J (Terminus), 1A, 1B, 1C, 1H, 1D, 1G, 1E and 1F (yes, in that order.)

Only Exit 0 I've ever seen was the one on I-40 in Texas. And even then they're hit or miss - I-45 doesn't have any Exits 0, but has at least one exit that'd probably qualify.

Certainly you must have driven through Interstate 65's southern terminus  :colorful:

oscar

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 20, 2009, 05:41:09 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 26, 2009, 02:03:03 AM
there is even an Exit 00 somewhere (Texas?  I forget) where apparently there were exits 0 and 1 and they wanted to fit one inbetween but didn't want to call it 0A.  Or something like that.  Maybe it was even before 0, and they didn't want exit -1.

The only 00 I remember seeing was in Puerto Rico.

Yeah, within the very complicated PR18/22 interchange in San Juan.

http://www.hawaiihighways.com/Puerto-Rico-page2.html (second photo from the top).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Darkchylde

Quote from: AARoads on October 10, 2009, 11:27:59 AM
I-110 in Louisiana has too many Exits 1 - from south to north - 1I-J (Terminus), 1A, 1B, 1C, 1H, 1D, 1G, 1E and 1F (yes, in that order.)

Only Exit 0 I've ever seen was the one on I-40 in Texas. And even then they're hit or miss - I-45 doesn't have any Exits 0, but has at least one exit that'd probably qualify.

Certainly you must have driven through Interstate 65's southern terminus  :colorful:

Last time was 2004, and it was on a Greyhound, so I didn't see the exit tabs.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I get the feeling that I-110's terminus with I-10 in Baton Rouge wasn't originally numbered (or lettered in this case) since that I & J seem out of place.  Then again, I'm not sure who in Red Stick had the bright idea of giving every offramp from 110 NB & SB it's own letter designation.
But that quirk I believe gives I-110 the highest exit letter total for just one interstate (unlike KC or Cincy where multiple interstates are sharing the letters).
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alex

Quote from: osu-lsu on October 16, 2009, 12:01:45 PM

I get the feeling that I-110's terminus with I-10 in Baton Rouge wasn't originally numbered (or lettered in this case) since that I & J seem out of place.  Then again, I'm not sure who in Red Stick had the bright idea of giving every offramp from 110 NB & SB it's own letter designation.
But that quirk I believe gives I-110 the highest exit letter total for just one interstate (unlike KC or Cincy where multiple interstates are sharing the letters).

Exit 1I and 1J were previously unnumbered (2002 photo): http://www.interstate-guide.com/images110/i-110_la_st_24.jpg
Exit numbers were assigned by 2003: http://www.interstate-guide.com/images110/i-110_la_st_15.jpg

rarnold

There are "Exit 0" tabs at the I-380 Southern Terminus in Iowa. Makes sense in this case because the roadway continues as U.S. 218/Iowa 27.

Fcexpress80

As I recall, there is an Exit 0 on Interstate 90 on the Montana side of the Idaho/Montana Border at Lookout Pass.  The exit provides access to a ski area at the summit.  Of note; Lookout Pass is also a time zone border.

Brandon

ISTHA also seems to like Exit 0.  I-355's south end is marked as Exit 0A for I-80 East and Exit 0B for I-80 West.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

DandyDan

As of this year, I-480 in Iowa has an Exit 0 for "Riverfront" in Council Bluffs.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

dgolub

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Exit 0 on I-70 in Wheeling, West Virginia, yet.

dgolub

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 20, 2009, 06:29:31 PM
Quote from: rawmustard on July 28, 2009, 01:02:35 AM
Now with sequential exits, it would be wrong for there to be an Exit 0, since you don't count a 0th item when counting sequentially.
Unless you were a computer scientist :P

Yes, I've seen CS books with a Chapter 0.  My introductory electrical engineering textbook from college also has one.

Big John

There is also a 0th law of thermodynamics.

The High Plains Traveler

I-172 where it ends at I-72, just east of Hannibal.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

theline

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 21, 2009, 12:00:40 AM
The Indiana Toll road interchange with US 12/20/41 where it becomes the Chicago Skyway is Exit 0.

This was true even in the sequential-numbering days, despite the discussion upthread about "exit 0" making no sense in a sequential numbering scheme. According to Wikipedia, there were 2 exits numbered 0 in those days, including also the western SR 912 exit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Toll_Road#Exit_list. I have not confirmed that.

NE2

Quote from: theline on December 07, 2013, 06:57:51 PM
According to Wikipedia, there were 2 exits numbered 0 in those days, including also the western SR 912 exit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Toll_Road#Exit_list. I have not confirmed that.
According to who the fuck added that turd? That part of SR 912 was built in 1984, but the exits were renumbered in 1981.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Brandon on December 07, 2013, 12:34:28 AM
ISTHA also seems to like Exit 0.  I-355's south end is marked as Exit 0A for I-80 East and Exit 0B for I-80 West.

Have a picture?

english si

Quote from: theline on December 07, 2013, 06:57:51 PMThis was true even in the sequential-numbering days, despite the discussion upthread about "exit 0" making no sense in a sequential numbering scheme.
where's this discussion?

Certainly, informally, 'junction 0' appears in UK roadgeek discussions, when referring to unnumbered termini.

And at least one of them is official - here's secondary legislation referring to the M58's junction 0. The number doesn't appear on signs, not least as there is no exit.

Brandon

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 07, 2013, 08:25:59 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 07, 2013, 12:34:28 AM

Have a picture?

Not yet.  It was in the dark when I saw it.  Not exactly prime photo taking time.  ISTHA also has an "EXIT 0 A-B" tab in the yard at the Cermak Road Toll Plaza on the Tri-State (where they store all their finished signs prior to installation).  There's only one place on the entire system it can go.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

PHLBOS

While the exit for I-295 along I-195 (& NJ 29) is signed as Exit 60, the same exit number for the interchange as I-295 itself, it should theoretically be Exit 0 IMHO.  Just eliminate the 6 from the exit tabs of the following BGS' and their respective subordiantes.

Along NJ 29 Eastbound:

Along I-195 Westbound:

Note: I am aware of the upcoming switch for I-295 north of the interchange becoming a western extension of I-195 once the I-95/PA Turnpike interchange is completed.  Such change will make the interchange number for the I-195 pieces become Exit 16(?) rather than 60; which would make this interchange no longer a candidate for Exit 0 from any direction.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: Alex on October 10, 2009, 11:27:59 AM

Technically, shouldn't that be "EXIT 0A" and "EXIT 0B"?.  And the '10 WEST" BGS illustrates one of my top signing pet peeves - squeezing multiple down arrows onto a narrow panel, with the result that the arrows don't properly line up over the lanes they apply to.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on December 10, 2013, 02:18:31 PM

Technically, shouldn't that be "EXIT 0A" and "EXIT 0B"?  And the '10 WEST" BGS illustrates one of my top signing pet peeves - squeezing multiple down arrows onto a narrow panel, with the result that the arrows don't properly line up over the lanes they apply to.
Something tells me that I-10 West BGS panel may have originally been sized for only 2 arrows but was changed to 3 arrows either just after the BGS was already fabricated and/or erected.

I find it interesting that the only listed destinations are states rather than cities.  Such practice is now either a No-No or is discouraged in the eyes of MUTCD/FHWA.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 10, 2013, 02:46:35 PM
I find it interesting that the only listed destinations are states rather than cities.  Such practice is now either a No-No or is discouraged in the eyes of MUTCD/FHWA.

Somebody better tell IDOT and ISTHA with their "Wisconsin", "Indiana", and "Iowa" controls.

PHLBOS

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 10, 2013, 02:46:35 PM
I should have emphasised the word only in bold earlier; I've since done so.  While I have seen BGS' that list a neighboring state as a destination for one sign/direction; very rarely (if ever) have I seen every sign for every different direction listing only states per the I-10 example.

Quote from: Brandon on December 10, 2013, 02:53:39 PMSomebody better tell IDOT and ISTHA with their "Wisconsin", "Indiana", and "Iowa" controls.
Don't shoot the messenger here; I'm just posting my observations & findings.  Personally, I think that barring the listing of states as a destination is absolutely ludicrous because there are indeed some cases where listing such makes more sense and is more appropriate.  Example: the listing of New Jersey for an eastbound I-276/PA Turnpike destination.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ethanhopkin14

Why not have Exit 0?  If you are staying true to mileage based exits, you have to have an Exit 0 if the junction happens before the 1st mile post.

In Texas there is an Exit 0 on Interstate 10 for FM 1905, Anthony and an Exit 0 on Interstate 40 in Glenrio for Bussiness Loop 40.

The other mile zeros in Texas don't have Exits 0, which include Interstates 20,27,30,35,35W,37 and, 45. Now I have never witnessed Interstate 44's terminus so not sure about that one.

That I remember none of the 3dis in Texas have Exit 0, except Interstate 110 in El Paso at the border. I-69 and I-2 (and the suffixed I-69s for that matter) have no exit numbers so they can't be counted. US 75 in Dallas has sequential exit numbers so there is no need for an exit 0. And Interstate 345's exit numbers do not reflect the mile posts on I -345. 

mwb1848

I'd rather have an Exit O than an exit numbering system which starts arbitrarily. When TxDOT replaced button copy signage on US 54 in El Paso, they renumbered the exits starting at 20.

Loop 375, at the terminus of the highway, became Exit 20. US 62, Paisano Dr., became 20A, and I-110 to Juarez became 20B. (I don't think I've ever seen ANY exit tabs on I-110 itself.)

These signs have been slightly modified to reflect a traffic pattern under which cross-border autos use I-110 and cross-border trucks use US 62 to access the Bridge of the Americas.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.