News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State-named interstate shields

Started by Mergingtraffic, May 06, 2014, 09:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 16, 2016, 01:41:53 PM

East Orange, NJ.
It's really not that hard to find state name shields in NJ. They don't have to be as old as that one. Sometimes I wonder if they still make them. Here's one of I-280 that is a lot newer:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7948223,-74.2532656,3a,37.5y,27.86h,87.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suTvBuFz6MI5QVr0vp-9xpQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1?hl=en-US

paulthemapguy

Has anyone had the idea of making a map showing the states that use neutered shields and which ones don't?  It would make it much easier to organize this information.

Anyone care to edit or add to this?  (It's just MS Paint)
I was also considering adding a category of "historical use" for states that used them before but don't anymore.  Or maybe a "recent" category for states that started using them only recently (like Mississippi from what I've heard).
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

thefraze_1020

Washington state can be "occasional" because the only agency that I know of that uses state-named shields is Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT).
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

hbelkins

Change Kentucky to "occasional." I've seen state named markers for every Interstate in Kentucky except I-24. They're becoming more widespread.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

There's a map for this somewhere that is similar to the Clearview map, either on this family of sites or elsewhere.

Maine only uses state name shields. PA did at one point, but stopped quite a while back, as did VT and NH. New York stopped in the late 80s or early 90s. Many of our neutered shields are relatively new.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alex

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 16, 2016, 04:49:30 PM
Has anyone had the idea of making a map showing the states that use neutered shields and which ones don't?  It would make it much easier to organize this information.

I was also considering adding a category of "historical use" for states that used them before but don't anymore.  Or maybe a "recent" category for states that started using them only recently (like Mississippi from what I've heard).

We had one on AARoads years ago. I am sure it has been discussed years prior on the forum as well.

With some of the recent changes involving at least six states, here is what I can come up with based on personal observation and texts/emails with Jeff R., Jake, Andy etc. (There are of course exceptions, such as the city of Seattle aforementioned, city of Manchester, NH, Pinellas County, FL installs, etc.):

States that use the state name:
AL, CA, CO, CT, ME, ND, SC, WV

States that recently added the state name:
LA, MS, TX, UT

States mostly using the state name, but with some neutered shields:
AZ, GA, KY, NJ, NM, NV, WY#

States included the state name until somewhat recently:
AR, IA, MO, VT*

States that switched to neutered shields years ago:
DC, DE, FL, NH, HI, ID, IL, IN, MD, MA, MI, MN, MT, NC, NH, NY, OH, PA, OR, RI, SD**, TN, WI, VA

# - lots of neutered shields in recent installations.
* - rapid sign replacements over the last four years removed most of the mainline and interchange based shields, several left in towns
** - a few 1970 spec based shields posted, but almost all neutered.

Edited to add GA

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Alex on June 17, 2016, 10:23:30 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 16, 2016, 04:49:30 PM

We had one on AARoads years ago. I am sure it has been discussed years prior on the forum as well.

With some of the recent changes involving at least six states, here is what I can come up with based on personal observation and texts/emails with Jeff R., Jake, Andy etc. (There are of course exceptions, such as the city of Seattle aforementioned, city of Manchester, NH, Pinellas County, FL installs, etc.):

States that use the state name:
AL, CA, CO, CT, ME, ND, SC, WV

States that recently added the state name:
LA, MS, TX, UT

States mostly using the state name, but with some neutered shields:
AZ, KY, NJ, NM, NV, WY#

States included the state name until somewhat recently:
AR, IA, MO, VT*

States that switched to neutered shields years ago:
DC, DE, FL, NH, HI, ID, IL, IN, MD, MA, MI, MN, MT, NC, NH, NY, OH, PA, OR, RI, SD**, TN, WI, VA

# - lots of neutered shields in recent installations.
* - rapid sign replacements over the last four years removed most of the mainline and interchange based shields, several left in towns
** - a few 1970 spec based shields posted, but almost all neutered.
Georgia uses the state name, but I forget if it was recently adopted or not.
Also, Tennessee has at least one state name posted in/near Memphis. Probably due to a contractor "error" though.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

formulanone

There have been more new Florida state-named shields appearing in the past 6-7 years, although only a handful used for reassurance.

paulthemapguy

Updated the map to match Alex's suggestions.  Anything for OK, KS, and NE?  Changes to Alex's propositions?  I just wanted to unify all the things people have been reporting in this thread.

Mapmikey

If washington is orange because of a single city, then Indiana should be orange - Indianapolis has some.

Virginia doesn't do many new installs of state-named but there are pockets of modern state-named signs in central and western Virginia

How many neutered shields defines never?  SC has a few neutered interstate shields...

cl94

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 17, 2016, 06:15:54 PM
If washington is orange because of a single city, then Indiana should be orange - Indianapolis has some.

Virginia doesn't do many new installs of state-named but there are pockets of modern state-named signs in central and western Virginia

How many neutered shields defines never?  SC has a few neutered interstate shields...

Same with New York. NYCDOT occasionally installs state name shields. We're getting into dangerous territory with that one.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

paulthemapguy

I was actually hoping to get more orange on the map.  My idea for the orange was basically "if there are any new installs of state-named shields at all."  I can change IN, VA and NY to orange in that case.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 17, 2016, 06:11:44 PM
Updated the map to match Alex's suggestions.  Anything for OK, KS, and NE?  Changes to Alex's propositions?  I just wanted to unify all the things people have been reporting in this thread.

Alaska could also be gray for "N/A". Also, red should probably be "very few/none", since some of the states that are red still have a few surviving.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

cl94

Quote from: freebrickproductions on June 17, 2016, 07:03:40 PM
Alaska could also be gray for "N/A". Also, red should probably be "very few/none", since some of the states that are red still have a few surviving.

Agree. Ohio has virtually none (they switched as soon as neutered became an option), but New York didn't switch until the 90s and there are still quite a few kicking around in certain parts of the state, particularly New York City. Regions 1, 3, and 4, for example, had quite a few until this decade's sign replacements. I know that PA still has some around as well, but those are quickly disappearing.

noelbotevera

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 17, 2016, 06:30:15 PM
I was actually hoping to get more orange on the map.  My idea for the orange was basically "if there are any new installs of state-named shields at all."  I can change IN, VA and NY to orange in that case.
PA should be orange. Multitudes of state names are on new BGS' and two of them are across the hospital of the town that I live in (they're only a couple years old, but the red has faded to white). There's been a lot around the Harrisburg area too recently.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Alex

Agree with others that WA should just be red, since the Seattle ones I saw were mostly of older vintage. There was one I-5 on the mainline at Tacoma and a few on the I-90 mainline left in 2006. Zero for I-82.

My brother was distracting me when I came up with the list, so the three remaining states were just omitted by mistake.

NE dropped the state name a long time ago. Might be a few I-80's left but zero for the other routes.
KS was mostly state named in 2003/04, but my trip there in 2015 revealed a lot more neutered shields.  The I-470 mainline was mostly devoid of state named shields for instance.
OK is mostly state named with a few neutered.

jakeroot

Quote from: Alex on June 17, 2016, 10:54:43 PM
Agree with others that WA should just be red, since the Seattle ones I saw were mostly of older vintage. There was one I-5 on the mainline at Tacoma and a few on the I-90 mainline left in 2006. Zero for I-82.

There are some along the backroads (notably, a pair along Cedardale Rd near Mt Vernon: https://goo.gl/Sv3ypw). The two along the 90 and 5 freeways are long gone.

The Seattle DOT sign shop still makes signs using the state name. This LGS with state names was only installed maybe 2-3 years ago. Granted, they're inconsistent (some other new ones drop the state name), but it's still common enough in the Seattle area that labelling WA as red is fairly misleading.

paulthemapguy

Updated it again:

If a state has only a couple state-named shields that are on ancient assemblies, I'm keeping it as red.  The main question is whether state-named shields are produced for CURRENT new installations.  Then, if I want to go the extra mile maybe consider historical signage trends etc.  Of course there's always gonna be the gray area of "well, how recent is recent?" 

odditude

Alex

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 18, 2016, 01:59:20 PM
Updated it again:

<snip>

If a state has only a couple state-named shields that are on ancient assemblies, I'm keeping it as red.  The main question is whether state-named shields are produced for CURRENT new installations.  Then, if I want to go the extra mile maybe consider historical signage trends etc.  Of course there's always gonna be the gray area of "well, how recent is recent?"

Kansas should be Widespread, not "not until recently".

FWIW, Colorado went from widespread neutered to entirely using the state name back in 2002.

While Seattle's city department occasionally crafts state named shields, I'd still say the state should be red. Maybe hatch work for the state, add another color category for states with local jurisdictions still posting them, or just put an orange dot over Seattle :p

Speaking of local jurisdictions using state named shields, there was a period of time when Pinellas County, FL was posting state named shields left and right, but recent installations are back to standard neutered. There are some state named shields posted by the Tampa Expressway Authority at each SR 589 interchange, and occasionally contractor signs have the state name, such as in the city of Jacksonville and District 3. But even with those exceptions, I would still categorize Florida as None (or virtually none).

cl94

Quote from: Alex on June 21, 2016, 05:12:34 PM
While Seattle's city department occasionally crafts state named shields, I'd still say the state should be red. Maybe hatch work for the state, add another color category for states with local jurisdictions still posting them, or just put an orange dot over Seattle :p

Do the same for New York. As with Seattle, one jurisdiction posting them should not turn the entire state orange, but conditions are similar enough that New York and Washington should be the same color.

Vermont still has quite a few state name shields around, even with the mass replacement. Noticed a bunch along I-91 when I was through there this weekend.

formulanone

I would put Florida in the "Occassional/Rare", because they seem to be making a bit of a comeback.

I've seen several recent I-95, an I-10, and some I-75 shields with the state name and there's also been a few for I-4 and I-275 posted here and there.

I think I-595 is the only interstate in Florida in which I've never seen a state-named example, historical (it's only about 25 years old) or otherwise.

ethanhopkin14

What's the difference between "Always" and "Widespread"?  Does "Always" mean they have never stopped using state named shields, and "Widespread" means they have always used state named shields, but a few neutered shields have slipped through the cracks from contractors and such?  The reason I ask is I have seen some neutered shields in California.  They are rare, but just as rare as seeing a neutered shield in Arizona.

Texas has had a love/hate relationship with state named shields.  There were times they did and times they didn't.  I would say Texas should not be in the "Not until recently" category.  There should be a "neuter/state shield mix" category.  That way, states that are big like Texas that have several districts (and believe it or not, TxDOT districts do things way different from district to district) can be better represented because one district may be state shield heavy while another never puts out state shields.

Is Arkansas correct?  I thought they recently incorporated neutered shields, but still have some state shields, like on Interstate 49.

Alex

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 22, 2016, 09:43:34 AM
What's the difference between "Always" and "Widespread"?  Does "Always" mean they have never stopped using state named shields, and "Widespread" means they have always used state named shields, but a few neutered shields have slipped through the cracks from contractors and such?

Well keep in mind that I worked with what paulthemapguy came up with and came up with the classifications on the fly. So it's still open to interpretation.  :coffee:
With that stated, widespread meant that the state installs both state named shields and neutered shields, but with a tendency for the former. Georgia is a good example. You can find a mixture of both state and non-state name on the I-95 mainline for instance. Widespread also conveys that it is not hard to find a state-named shield. Contrast this to a state like Virginia where you may find some for I-81, but you will never find one for I-77 as the last was replaced several years ago.

The reason I ask is I have seen some neutered shields in California.  They are rare, but just as rare as seeing a neutered shield in Arizona.

Any neutered instance in California is either a local install or a contractor error. Those angular 3-di width neutered I-5's installed in the Central Valley for instance were placed in error. The error reference is from when Andy corresponded with Caltrans about them a few years back. So more or less, all state named shields is what you get (or are supposed to get).

Texas has had a love/hate relationship with state named shields.  There were times they did and times they didn't.  I would say Texas should not be in the "Not until recently" category.  There should be a "neuter/state shield mix" category.  That way, states that are big like Texas that have several districts (and believe it or not, TxDOT districts do things way different from district to district) can be better represented because one district may be state shield heavy while another never puts out state shields.

Yes, you are correct, Texas was vastly neutered up until a few years ago. The state is "recently added," because of our very own Jeff R, who led efforts to have the state re-add the name on Interstate shields. He went to a number of agencies, chambers of commerce, etc. to pitch the idea. In the end, the right people liked the concept of having their state's name displayed that much more often, so it was re-added to their signing practices. He was similarly successful with convincing LADOTD to readopt it in Louisiana.

Is Arkansas correct?  I thought they recently incorporated neutered shields, but still have some state shields, like on Interstate 49.

The Arkansas neutering news, along with Iowa and Missouri, was also from Jeff R. Most new assemblies. I cannot confirm if they all new assemblies are, but ones I have seen posted here, such as those for I-555 are neutered with the over sized numbers. Granted there are plenty of remaining state named shields in place (and will be for years to come), I mostly wanted to pass on the info that a few states that previously used the state name no longer will.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Alex on June 22, 2016, 04:02:08 PM
Contrast this to a state like Virginia where you may find some for I-81, but you will never find one for I-77 as the last was replaced several years ago.

Not that it changes the meaning of your thoughts, but as of Sept 2015 there was still at least 1 state-named I-77 shield:
https://goo.gl/maps/592CmGCN9KS2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.