News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Emails to the webmasters

Started by Alex, May 13, 2009, 02:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

If anyone can answer these questions, post your reply here and I will relay to those who wrote.

Subject: AARoads feedback: Midpoint of Highway U.S. 1

Name: Aubrey J.
Link:

As U.S. 1 goes from Key West to Maine, I\'ve often wondered where the midpoint of this great highway is. Can you tell me?
Thank you very much,

Name: Barry H.
Link:

Is Hoosier Pass open now?  I am planning a trip up that way and want to take that pass.

Thank You,

Barry H.

74/171FAN

QuoteSubject: AARoads feedback: Midpoint of Highway U.S. 1

Name: Aubrey J.
Link:

As U.S. 1 goes from Key West to Maine, I\'ve often wondered where the midpoint of this great highway is. Can you tell me?
Thank you very much,
I calculated it according to mileage and the answer is in Richmond, VA at VA 147 East(W Cary St)(US 1 is also multiplexed with US 301 here)(according to the VA Highways Project and other sites accessed from http://www.us-highways.com/)             and to be fair to VA 147 the next intersection for VA 147 West(W Main St)(as VA 147 is split into one-way streets in Downtown Richmond) 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

yanksfan6129

QuoteName: Barry H.
Link:

Is Hoosier Pass open now?  I am planning a trip up that way and want to take that pass.

Thank You,

Barry H.

I thought Hoosier Pass was open all year, except in storms. Check the weather, I guess.

Alex

Name: Gregory
Link: No

is elko  bigger then ely

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

As of the 2000 Census, Elko had a population of 16,980, while Ely had a population of 4,041.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alex

Thanks Scott, here is another I got today:

Hello -

I am doing research on I-469 for the Strategic Highway Research Program.  I read on www.interstate-guide.com that the cost of the road was $207,000,000.  Do you know what year dollars that figure is in?  I need to convert it to current year dollars.  Thanks.

Susan

Alex

Subject: motorcycle trip

Name: Sam D.

Comments:   am looking for map with 2 lane an scenic roads from punta gorda fl. to cheboygan michigan....would prefer fl,ga,sc,nc,tenn,ky,oh,mi....is this available,or anything like it???????????  SAM

US71

Quote from: AARoads on May 29, 2009, 02:18:56 PM
Subject: motorcycle trip

Name: Sam D.

Comments:   am looking for map with 2 lane an scenic roads from punta gorda fl. to cheboygan michigan....would prefer fl,ga,sc,nc,tenn,ky,oh,mi....is this available,or anything like it???????????  SAM

There might be a website for motorcyclists showing sceninc drives, but I have no idea where it is.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alex

One from this evening:

Do you have any information regarding Foster Elementary School on Hwy 285; the mile maker is 194 which is just past Fairplay, CO?  I was just in  Colorado in July and I am fascinated by old buildings.  I would love to write a book about my travels and want to include historical old buildings. 

Alex

I saw a sign for Georgia Highway 54 near Forest Park that read something like "..Georgia 55 and exit 54!"
Aren't these two numbers backwards?  Shouldn't it read.."Georgia 54 and exit 55?"  Thanks  :):)
Lance D.,  Thomaston, GA

Alex

Hello,

This is just a shot in the dark, but do you know who handles the small, directional signs off I-635? The ones that say which businesses are located off that off ramp? Any help you could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Joan H.

US71

There are probably several companies, but one I know of is Hiway Supply Company, Inc in Harrisburg, PA
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

best bet is to talk to the state DOT. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

Which I-635? I would bet that the ones on I-635 in KS would be done in-house by KDOT.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bryant5493

Quote from: AARoadsI saw a sign for Georgia Highway 54 near Forest Park that read something like "..Georgia 55 and exit 54!"
Aren't these two numbers backwards?  Shouldn't it read.."Georgia 54 and exit 55?"  Thanks   :):)
Lance D.,  Thomaston, GA

Yes, you're right. The numbers are backwards. Exit 55: S.R. 54/Jonesboro Road - Forest Park.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Alex

QuoteWhich I-635? I would bet that the ones on I-635 in KS would be done in-house by KDOT.

I wrote her back and asked which Interstate 635:

I'm actually referring to the one in Texas. Sorry I didn't make that clear...Specifically Mesquite Texas. Zip code 75150 in the Town East Mall.

Alex

I was searching the web trying to find out what the speed limit at mile marker 53 was on I-26 West in North Carolina.  I was traveling through there this past week and was pulled over being told that the speed limit was 55 but I never saw anything posted under 60 on the interstate the whole time that I was traveling it.  If you have any information on this it would be awesome.  It was between exits 49 and 54.  Thanks a bunch!

- Liz N.

Truman Parkway-Savannah, Ga
Any info. on the final phase of this project?

- Danny K.

njroadhorse

QuoteI was searching the web trying to find out what the speed limit at mile marker 53 was on I-26 West in North Carolina.  I was traveling through there this past week and was pulled over being told that the speed limit was 55 but I never saw anything posted under 60 on the interstate the whole time that I was traveling it.  If you have any information on this it would be awesome.  It was between exits 49 and 54.  Thanks a bunch!

- Liz N.

The speed limit just past the interchange is 65 MPH.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Mr. Matté

QuoteI was searching the web trying to find out what the speed limit at mile marker 53 was on I-26 West in North Carolina.  I was traveling through there this past week and was pulled over being told that the speed limit was 55 but I never saw anything posted under 60 on the interstate the whole time that I was traveling it.  If you have any information on this it would be awesome.  It was between exits 49 and 54.  Thanks a bunch!
The speed limit just past the interchange is 65 MPH.

However, before exit 54, there is a 55 limit on the Green River Gorge (Source), so perhaps that's where the confusion came in despite the fact that it goes back to 65 before exit 54 (source).

roadfro

Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 24, 2009, 05:24:20 PM
However, before exit 54, there is a 55 limit on the Green River Gorge (Source), so perhaps that's where the confusion came in despite the fact that it goes back to 65 before exit 54 (source).

From the source, that 55 speed limit was not posted as a standard speed limit sign, but as a separate panel underneath a large warning sign.  The fact that the speed limit panel is black text on white in the standard regulatory color scheme probably makes it legally binding. However, that really is not the best way to post a speed limit, and it does not conform to the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) standard for speed limit sign sizes (Table 2B-1 in Section 2B.03) nor North Carolina's 2004 state supplement to the MUTCD.  I can understand there being confusion there.  Depending upon NC state laws regarding regulatory signs and/or compliance with MUTCD & state supplement, there might be a legal grounds to get out of the ticket...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Bryant5493

Yeah, that's an awkward way to post a speed limit indeed.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

mightyace

Quote from: AARoads on August 24, 2009, 12:08:33 PM
I was searching the web trying to find out what the speed limit at mile marker 53 was on I-26 West in North Carolina.  I was traveling through there this past week and was pulled over being told that the speed limit was 55 but I never saw anything posted under 60 on the interstate the whole time that I was traveling it.  If you have any information on this it would be awesome.  It was between exits 49 and 54.  Thanks a bunch!

- Liz N.

I was on that just yesterday.  (literally) I don't remember exactly but I think Mr. Matté  is right.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

florida

Not the best way to post a speed limit on the bottom 1/6th of a sign. At least have huge diamond signs with a speed limit sign in the middle preceding this grade sign. Hope the ticket is thrown out because the sign is definitely not standard, and it's a cheap (shot) way to rack up tickets by putting a huge ENTERING BLAHBLAHBLAH since nobody pays attention to the ENTERING part.

Also, driving at 60+ mph, do you really have the time to read the WHOLE sign before making that sharp turn ahead??? It should be illegal since it could cause more danger than safety.
So many roads...so little time.

akotchi

QuoteFrom the source, that 55 speed limit was not posted as a standard speed limit sign, but as a separate panel underneath a large warning sign.

This type of panel is an advisory speed plate, and is not a speed limit.  I do not think it is enforceable, since it is not regulatory.  I have to think that most states have speed limits set by ordinance, which state that the regulatory sign needs to be posted.  (This is what New Jersey does, anyway.)
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.