News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Control city changes

Started by TheStranger, July 06, 2010, 05:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyace

Quote from: jwolfer on October 29, 2010, 05:24:33 PM
On I-95 in Florida.  The control cities used to be Miami/Jacksonville for most of the state.  Daytona Beach has been added over the past decade or so. I guess because the I-4 Junction is there. 

Or the race track?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

Quote from: mightyace on October 29, 2010, 06:38:06 PM

Or the race track?

is the racetrack important enough to merit its own interstate control city?  (No comments about Delaware Water Gap!)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

Well, the racetrack is not the control city, but the track is located there.

Estimated attendance for the two Sprint Cup Races 250,000 to 400,000 depending on the year.
Not including attendance for Speedweeks, the two weeks preceding the Daytona 500 or the big annual biker festival there.

Also, Daytona Beach itself is one of the popular Spring Break destinations.

jwolfer

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 29, 2010, 06:42:41 PM
Quote from: mightyace on October 29, 2010, 06:38:06 PM

Or the race track?

is the racetrack important enough to merit its own interstate control city?  (No comments about Delaware Water Gap!)

i always liked the I-295(NJ) control city of Del Mem Br

Duke87

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who pronounces that "Del Member". :rolleyes:

Use of major named bridges as control points is pretty common, at least in the New York area. Are there any other places where you see this?
(then again, no other major US city is built on a set of islands, so....)

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Bay Bridge is used in Maryland and Delaware in a number of locations.

I think Mackinaw (Mackinac?) Bridge may be used on I-75 in Michigan, but I'm not positive.

I also think the NY Thruway may use Tappan Zee Bridge.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on October 29, 2010, 09:28:59 PM
Bay Bridge is used in Maryland and Delaware in a number of locations.

I think Mackinaw (Mackinac?) Bridge may be used on I-75 in Michigan, but I'm not positive.

I also think the NY Thruway may use Tappan Zee Bridge.

Yes, "Mackinac Bridge" is used on I-75.  Makes sense, IMHO, as it is the biggest thing between the peninsulas.  :biggrin:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

iwishiwascanadian

Quote from: Duke87 on October 29, 2010, 09:17:17 PM
Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who pronounces that "Del Member". :rolleyes:

Use of major named bridges as control points is pretty common, at least in the New York area. Are there any other places where you see this?

It is done on the NY Thruway (I-87/I-287), it is also done on I-95 in NYC (Geo Washington Bridge), also on the Henry Hudson Parkway as well. 

Alex

I routinely call it the Del Member!  :crazy:

hbelkins

I don't use "Member" as one word but I have, in the past, said "Del Mem Br" as it is written.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

I always tend to pronounce silly abbreviations like that in my head. My favorite is "Sh Mn Pky" for Shawnee Mission Parkway in Kansas City...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

deathtopumpkins

LOL I've always called it the "Del Member!"

Around here we have a few uses of bridges as control points but tunnels are frequently used too, specifically the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, and the Downtown and Midtown Tunnels.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

OracleUsr

I-40 at Exit 298A (US 401S/70E-NC 50S) use to say Saunders Street/SOUTH, then Fayetteville/Garner, now it says South Saunders St./SOUTH/Garner...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=197152&l=003977d4ac&id=100001184090862

Sometimes change isn't so good...
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

realjd

Quote from: jwolfer on October 29, 2010, 05:24:33 PM
On I-95 in Florida.  The control cities used to be Miami/Jacksonville for most of the state.  Daytona Beach has been added over the past decade or so. I guess because the I-4 Junction is there. 

Generally speaking, for control cities on I-95, Brevard County and north use Miami/Jacksonville while Indian River County and south use Daytona Beach and West Palm Beach.

hm insulators

I think once upon a time (and it may still be true; I haven't driven in the Bay Area in years), the Golden Gate Bridge was listed as a control point from both US 101 heading northbound and at the western end of I-80.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

TheStranger

Quote from: hm insulators on November 09, 2010, 12:47:03 PM

I think once upon a time (and it may still be true; I haven't driven in the Bay Area in years), the Golden Gate Bridge was listed as a control point from both US 101 heading northbound and at the western end of I-80.

Still true:

Also the case at the Route 1/I-280 split in Daly City:
Chris Sampang

SteveG1988

I-29 in MN heading east alternates between Minnieapolis and St Paul for main control city, it seems every other Control City sign was different.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

mightyace

^^^

:confused: :confused: Huh?

I think you're thinking about another highway.  I-29 never enters MN and goes North-South.

national highway 1

Isn't he talking about I-35?
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

mightyace

Maybe, but it goes N-S as well.

SteveG1988

Sorry i was thinking about 94, 29 is the one i traveled on mostly when i was out west.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Interstate Trav

Another change is on the 5 freeway north in Orange County, the control city was always Los Angeles, but some signs have changed it to Santa Ana.  It actually almost confused me at an interchange, since I see Santa Ana and think 5 South, but it was for 5 north.  Almost went the wrong way, and I'm know as a walking road atlas.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.