News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roadgeeks who changed the world?

Started by Ken Jennings, August 04, 2010, 09:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Jennings

Hey, as I mentioned in this earlier post, I'm an author working on a book chapter about road buffs.  Right now, I'm interested in the idea that roadgeeks might actually perform a useful public service by, essentially, being the only nonprofessionals who really know or care about decisions made regarding public roads.

Can anybody suggest any real-world "good deeds" done by knowledgeable roadgeeks?  This could be something as small as having a state DoT fix an incorrect road sign, or--who knows?--as big as watchdogging some wrong-headed construction project so that it gets done right.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Alex

There was some discussion along these lines at this topic that may be of interest.

Roadgeek Adam

Am I the only one who think Jeff Kitsko and Scott Oglesby deserve good mention here? I mean the Pennsylvania Department of Inept Transportation kind of relies on Jeff for a lot of things on his website.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

agentsteel53

Danny Castro is single-handedly responsible for a great amount of historic 66 signage in California.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

You might want to talk to Richard Ankrom–he's an artist who got frustrated by the lack of I-5 signage on the Pasadena Freeway in California, so he looked up the exact specifications, made the signage, forged a Caltrans uniform, and got up on a gantry and installed the signage himself. His work was so good that Caltrans assumed they installed it until the local media reported otherwise! The signage has since been replaced, with the new signs mirroring the changes that Richard made.

He probably wouldn't admit to "changing the world", but our own J.N. Winkler managed to influence the 2009 MUTCD in a significant way. FHWA wanted to remove the section allowing diagrammatic signs (the large splitting-arrow signs that often precede large interchanges). They felt that the diagrammatics were obsoleted by a new signing method that was introduced in the new manual. Mr. Winkler was able to convince FHWA (through the public comment process) that there was still some situations that the old method could handle that the new couldn't, so the option to use diagrammatic signs was left in the manual.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bickendan

I know that the Oregon Department of Transportation will use Mike Wiley's defunct website on Oregon's highways as reference.

US71

I have contacted AHTD several times, but usually get BS answers. I've had (slightly) better luck harassing Gridlock Guru.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

oh, and Jeff Royston's bringing back state-named interstate shields in Louisiana.

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

ctsignguy is working on getting a new state highway shields in Connecticut... don't know if he'll be ultimately successful or not, but he's certainly talking to the right people!

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 04, 2010, 10:17:36 PM
He probably wouldn't admit to "changing the world", but our own J.N. Winkler managed to influence the 2009 MUTCD in a significant way. FHWA wanted to remove the section allowing diagrammatic signs (the large splitting-arrow signs that often precede large interchanges). They felt that the diagrammatics were obsoleted by a new signing method that was introduced in the new manual. Mr. Winkler was able to convince FHWA (through the public comment process) that there was still some situations that the old method could handle that the new couldn't, so the option to use diagrammatic signs was left in the manual.

So did I.  Just because Mr. Winkler toots his own horn all the time doesn't mean he's the only one contributing.  I personally made the comment that saved 8" signals in community settings, for example.

I would also submit Trent Legg, who has volunteered to replace and upgrade county signage in Georgia to meet MUTCD standards.  I don't know where he gets the money, but he does get the signs made and installed on new posts.

ctsignguy

And I am headed back up in a couple of weeks...so i will be doing some follow-up with ConnDOT...and see if maybe i can meet with some people who can help us (Jeff is still in our corner as far as i know)
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Troubleshooter

I got the language fixed in the MUTCD so someone can't misinterpret it to mean that a green arrow can allow a turn across a crosswalk with a WALK light on. The original language was ambiguous, and our city engineer insisted on misreading it.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Because of me, the highway trust fund is still totally American owned.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Rover_0

While trying not to brag, I was responsible for bringing (and then) clearing up the US-89A/UT-11 issue in Kanab, UT.  Hopefully (though not exactly likely), I'll be able to extend US-160 or US-64 to I-15 near Hurricane, UT, or restore US-60 in California.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

corco

I cured world hunger and singlehandedly prevented a federal mandate that all snowy roads be plowed with rubber bladed plows

agentsteel53

I invented the cutout highway marker.  And the lane stripe.

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

And I singlehandedly invented Kansas. :rolleyes:

agentsteel53

I fashioned the entire interstate highway system out of two thumbtacks and a roll of electrical tape.

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 05, 2010, 12:41:04 AM
I fashioned the entire interstate highway system out of two thumbtacks and a roll of electrical tape.

I invented US 71 with a kettle and some string  :-D

US71

Scott5114

TheStranger

I advocate equal overhead sign heights and sizes. :D
Chris Sampang

Ian

Quote from: ctsignguy on August 04, 2010, 11:15:57 PM
And I am headed back up in a couple of weeks...so i will be doing some follow-up with ConnDOT...and see if maybe i can meet with some people who can help us (Jeff is still in our corner as far as i know)

Snag a few extra signs while you're there!  :sombrero:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

bugo

I didn't intend to, but I got an error OK 82 cleaver removed from US 59.

KEK Inc.

From this thread, you can probably honestly say that Roadgeeks are one of the most self-engrossed egotistical pricks on the web.  :sombrero:

I'm not sure of anyone who made a true difference off-hand.  I believe there's a US-99 restoration project in the PacNW, but I don't know who's heading that program.
Take the road less traveled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.