News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

People who don't know much about roads

Started by Voyager, March 22, 2009, 08:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager

Can anyone think of any that you hear just normal people say? Not sure if the topic makes sense, but it's like people who say the interstate system is older than the US highway system.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Alex

People that have to use their GPS units when driving. This thread includes all of them...

ComputerGuy

Everyone in my 8th grade history class (including the teacher) except me...we're studying the transportation of America...I should be teaching this, our books says that the Interstates were made in the 1920's (no, it was the U.S. Routes and Autobahns) and U.S. Routes were made in the '40s.

Voyager

I always hate those people who insist that they're right about what highway or freeway to take when you KNOW which one you're supposed to be taking. It's like they think you don't know anything about highways, which is entirely wrong.

ComputerGuy

I've sent an angry e-mail to the publishers to correct them..

un1

I always love fighting with road idiots.  :-D (No this road goes here, no it doesn't geesh get a map!)
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

AZDude

There are some people here who call U.S 60, I-60.  :pan:

Alex

Unfortunately I've worked with a ton of people in the mapping industry that were completely clueless about roads.

Voyager

Oh that reminds me! I hate those little tourist maps that show all the highway shields wrong.

ComputerGuy

WSDOT apparently doesn't know roads anymore...they posted a US 202 sign along SR 202 in 2007...I have no pic though. :confused:

Alex

The little tourist maps are usually drawn by graphic artists, not cartographers. That is why they are loaded with shield inaccuracies.

Voyager

Voyager

Quotevoyageur/CG:  keep in mind that, to the old-timers, the U.S. highway system *WAS* the originial "Interstate" system.  By definition, the routes are inter-state in nature.

That's not what we're talking about though. We're talking about current references saying that the US highway system came before the Interstate system.

Alex

QuoteThey're still irritating.

I totally agree, its even worse when I see them on Newspaper maps!

AZDude

News channel 3 when they show the weather has all the highways labeled as U.S. routes on the weather map.  ie, AZ 64, 68, 85, 87, 88, 89 are shown as U.S. 64, 85, 87, 88, 89...

ComputerGuy

I got a mock-up created by me to "advertise" the location of a Target...

Ta-da...this shows SR 531 as I-531...they do that a lot, especially if its a freeway.

yanksfan6129

People that have no clue how long it takes to get from a certain place to another place. I know how long it takes usually. For some reason, in conversations with tons of people recently, it has come up the "driving time from my town (Montville, NJ) to Montreal" is, as those clueless people who claim to "have driven it", between 7 and 10 hours. It's about 6 or even less I've heard from much more reliable sources. Plus, I've driven to the border, and its about 4.5 to there from my house.

Posers.

74/171FAN

On NBC(WWBT 12 in Richmond) they show freeways like VA 288 and VA 150 in circles instead of the state route shield and in Prince George everyone bases directions off the "Circle D" at the intersection of VA 106 and VA 156
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Chris

Europeans who think "highway" only equals "freeway". (they mean "motorway" mostly.)

Sykotyk

I can't stand the people that call any 'freeway' or 'expressway' an interstate. I've heard PA-60, US-22, OH-7, and OH-11 called this before. They are not interstates. Although most around here call it "Route 7" "Route 11" "22" or "the Toll Road (aka, PA-60)".

Shows lack of knowledge, or lack of caring what it is.

Sykotyk

SSOWorld

or calling a road that has mixed interchanges and at-grade intersections a freeway. :pan:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Chris

Oh yeah, people who say "Holland", when they mean the Netherlands.  :sombrero:

Holland consists out of two provinces in western NL. There are a total 12 provinces. Sadly enough, many Dutchmen make the same mistake, especially trucking companies.

Bryant5493

^^ Wow! I didn't know that. The more you know, the more you grow.  :-D :-D

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

OracleUsr

I-531...well, given the I-238 in CA, I guess anything's possible.  US 202 in WA...a north south highway that starts in Delaware making a bigger east/west shift than I-35 (and in a shorter distance) and making it back just in time to end in Maine.  Oh, man, I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything while I read that "When you get to Wilmington, DE, take US 202 north through Seattle and then follow 202 to its end in Bangor..."

Isn't it around Tyson's Corner that there is signage for VA 7 that is signed as SR 7, or do I remember that wrong?

I would guess that if it weren't for road screwups, we wouldn't have as big a hobby.

Reminds me of a time when I was 5 and we were returning from the Outer Banks.  My parents were going to go straight at Mann's Harbor instead of turning right, thereby returning to Raleigh via US *2*64, not US 64...having travelled US 264 from Raleigh to Mann's Harbor myself, I know that is NOT the way you want to go to get home quickly.  My mother now uses a GPS if I'm not with her; she's smart enough to know she can't guess her way around.

Course, then, they turned the tables on me one time when we were looking at colleges in SC.  We were headed from Columbia (Univ of SC) to Greenville (Furman Univ.).  I had my mother take I-26 to Spartanburg, then I-85 to Greenville.  I dozed off, and briefly remember my mother waking me up and asking me what about I-385 to Greenville...I said to stay on I-26.  My father hit the roof when he saw the map, blaming me for us running out of gas (never mind that the trip was extended all of 15 miles).
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

74/171FAN

and those(including my Driver's Ed teacher) who say that a freeway is any road that is not tolled
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.