News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Started by MantyMadTown, February 18, 2019, 02:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MantyMadTown

Does anyone know why they only have the state name interstate shields in the avatar selection for this forum? When I first signed up I was thinking about putting the I-43 shield on my profile but I didn't like the look of the state name shield and I didn't want to upload a picture without it myself. Wisconsin does not put the state name on any of its interstate shields, and I-43 is entirely in Wisconsin so including the state name is redundant anyway. I think the forum should include interstate shields without the state name, like they use in most states. I bet lots of people would prefer this as well.

Because I didn't select any of the interstate shields I chose instead to use the US 151 shield as my avatar, because it's the highway that connects the two cities I've lived in. However, I also noticed that the 3 digit US highway shields use a different style than the 2 digit shields. The numbers are thicker and don't look like they use the font that's used on US highway signs. As a result I had to get around this by unearthing the hidden regular style and uploading the image from there. I think this style should be activated from wherever it was hidden to replace the current style in the avatar selection menu.

Can someone explain why these shields don't look the same as they do in the highways' respective states? I should ask myself why I didn't bring this up when I signed up for this forum. There should really be more accurate highway shields for users to select here.
Forget the I-41 haters

Alex

Quote from: MantyMadTown on February 18, 2019, 02:23:05 PM
Does anyone know why they only have the state name interstate shields in the avatar selection for this forum? When I first signed up I was thinking about putting the I-43 shield on my profile but I didn't like the look of the state name shield and I didn't want to upload a picture without it myself. Wisconsin does not put the state name on any of its interstate shields, and I-43 is entirely in Wisconsin so including the state name is redundant anyway. I think the forum should include interstate shields without the state name, like they use in most states. I bet lots of people would prefer this as well.

Because I didn't select any of the interstate shields I chose instead to use the US 151 shield as my avatar, because it's the highway that connects the two cities I've lived in. However, I also noticed that the 3 digit US highway shields use a different style than the 2 digit shields. The numbers are thicker and don't look like they use the font that's used on US highway signs. As a result I had to get around this by unearthing the hidden regular style and uploading the image from there. I think this style should be activated from wherever it was hidden to replace the current style in the avatar selection menu.

Can someone explain why these shields don't look the same as they do in the highways' respective states? I should ask myself why I didn't bring this up when I signed up for this forum. There should really be more accurate highway shields for users to select here.

I was the one that created them all and added them as options to the forum.

The three digit ones were based upon Jake's template from button copy overheads (why I used Highway gothic series E). Made those many years ago and in retrospect don't really like them, but don't want to put the time into remaking them all.

As for neutered vs non neutered. It was preference at the time, which was back in 2009. Never got around to making neutered versions because again didn't want to spend the added time.

Alps

You can also make your own shield, or take a photo and upload it as your avatar.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: Alps on February 18, 2019, 06:19:46 PM
You can also make your own shield, or take a photo and upload it as your avatar.

I specifically didn't want to do that. The point is they should already be there, to make it more inclusive for everybody and to conform to US highway standards.
Forget the I-41 haters

oscar

Quote from: MantyMadTown on February 19, 2019, 07:25:06 PM

I specifically didn't want to do that. The point is they should already be there, to make it more inclusive for everybody and to conform to US highway standards.

It's probably easier for you than the AARoads staff. You're from there. Photograph an I-43 marker in the wild, edit it down to 80x80 pixels, and upload.

I did that for my own avatar, using a DSLR with a telephoto lens. Some tips:

-- try to take the photo directly in front of the marker, and at the same level, to minimize distortion

-- a zoom or telephoto lens, at maximum zoom, will help with that, and also help ensure you have a high-res image to work with.

A possible alternative is to look for shield generator sites, that let you crank out your own route marker images which you can edit as needed. I haven't used one for ages, so I don't know what if anything is still out there.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

"I don't want to take my own energy. You guys should use up your energy."
Reeeeeeally not making us feel like doing this for you, guy.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: Alps on February 19, 2019, 08:17:46 PM

I think you're totally misinterpreting what I said. The first thing you said is pretty much your last point repeated back to you. I'm complaining because it's something I think the mods should've done in the first place. If you don't want to do it, that's fine, but at least don't be rude.
Forget the I-41 haters

Alps

Quote from: MantyMadTown on February 19, 2019, 10:22:34 PM

I think you're totally misinterpreting what I said. The first thing you said is pretty much your last point repeated back to you. I'm complaining because it's something I think the mods should've done in the first place. If you don't want to do it, that's fine, but at least don't be rude.
Telling AARoads what to do is rude.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alps on February 19, 2019, 11:00:54 PM
Quote from: MantyMadTown on February 19, 2019, 10:22:34 PM

Telling AARoads what to do is rude.

Agreed.

MantyMadTown, if you want extra avatars made & added directly to the forums, do you have a little $ to back it up?  We all work on this forum for fun with no $ involved (sans Alex paying for the hosting of course).  Heck, when the forums had crashed and had major issues awhile back, I spent a lot of my free time to get it back up with no compensation in return.  We all do this for the love of the community and in our free time.

jakeroot

why the fuck would aaroads waste their time making a shit-ton of non-state-named shields for the two people that want them? It would take way less effort for you to make them on your own.

Lucky for you, cuz I'm a nice guy, here's your shield...

Edit: how bout this nice one with a little drop shadow??

US 89

That's how I made my current avatar. I pulled these shields straight from Wikipedia, organized them in a Word document, and took a couple screenshot/crop cycles to get it down to the size limit. Took probably 5 minutes, and I have the image file stored on my computer if I need it again.

MantyMadTown

Guys, don't rub it in. You've made your point. Now I don't want this thread to continue anymore.
Forget the I-41 haters

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.