News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Lettered Exits

Started by fwydriver405, April 22, 2021, 11:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fwydriver405

On 2021/04/09, I noticed the Maine Turnpike Authority on the Maine Turnpike Approach (Route 703) started using a lettering-based exit scheme on this particular stretch of road. I'm not sure if the Scarborough Connector (Route 701) got it, or if the Turnpike Authority plans to put exit tabs on the guide signs. The exits on Route 703 previously had no exit numbers or letters at all until recently.

Upon further research, I discovered that the Atlantic City—Brigantine Connector (NJ 446X) also has lettered exits, A-I as well.

Are there other freeways that use a letter-based exit numbering scheme? I'm not talking about examples like on the Berkshire Connector (NY Thruway) where it goes B1, B2, etc... just solely letters only.

Scott5114

I-444 used to have normally-numbered exits, but they were based on a kind of wonky numbering scheme where the zero milepost carried over from I-244's mileage, which likewise carried over from I-44's mileage. So for a 2½ mile Interstate, the exits were 94A-B-C-D, 95, and 96A-B-C.

At some point, ODOT (or possibly Oklahoma Department of Highways) decided they wanted to get away from that. It was the button copy era, so they just popped the numbers off and left exits A-B-C-D on the east-west leg and A-B-C on the north-south leg. Problem was, one of the signs wasn't button copy, so they just left a random 94D in there.

Later all the signs got replaced, and now the exits aren't numbered at all.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Interesting that Maine is doing that.  They used to have the letter below the gore.  Is there any pattern to the letters?  They seem to be somewhat random and don't even match when the same exit can be accessed from both directions.

The Kansas City downtown loop is a quasi example.  While technically every exit is 2x based off the interstate mileage, since all of them have lots of suffixed exits 2 in the same place, they had each one use different suffixes, resulting in a freeway loop that acts like its own thing with lettered exits.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SkyPesos

Quote from: vdeane on April 23, 2021, 01:02:17 PM
The Kansas City downtown loop is a quasi example.  While technically every exit is 2x based off the interstate mileage, since all of them have lots of suffixed exits 2 in the same place, they had each one use different suffixes, resulting in a freeway loop that acts like its own thing with lettered exits.
Even though the KC exit 2 loop is because all 3 interstates in that loop are in their exit 2, in my mind, it prioritizes I-70's exit numbers over the other two in the loop. That's because I-70 starts at the beginning of the alphabet when it enters the loop, and goes through the alphabet in order until it leaves. For I-670, it's in the middle of alphabet, and backwards. For I-35, it starts at the end of the alphabet, then starts again at the beginning when the I-70 concurrency starts.

CoreySamson

A fun mini game we can play related to this is to find the furthest-in-the-alphabet letter on an exit gore sign (and the other letters up to the letter in question must also exist, i.e, exit 16W on the NJ Turnpike has no 16A-V) Here's I and J on I-110 in Baton Rouge:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.4424988,-91.1785668,3a,26.1y,180.85h,93.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scin4u2MBuE6Jov98lY7UHg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

JoePCool14

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 23, 2021, 01:24:15 PM
A fun mini game we can play related to this is to find the furthest-in-the-alphabet letter on an exit gore sign (and the other letters up to the letter in question must also exist, i.e, exit 16W on the NJ Turnpike has no 16A-V) Here's I and J on I-110 in Baton Rouge:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.4424988,-91.1785668,3a,26.1y,180.85h,93.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scin4u2MBuE6Jov98lY7UHg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I know this is off-topic, but every time I see those Louisiana Clearview Interstate shields with the oversized numerals I want to gouge my eyes out.  :ded:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

SkyPesos

Thought Kansas City is the winner of lettered exits already.

kurumi

I've never seen that before: AFAICT the Exit 1's increase northbound, then turn around before exit 2 and continue increasing southbound.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Scott5114

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 23, 2021, 02:22:42 PM

Thought Kansas City is the winner of lettered exits already.

Yes, they have a 2Y. The only skipped letter is 2I, because Series E(M) doesn't come with a serifed I by default, so it looks a lot like 21.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

I still give Missouri the win, because there is a legitimate reason to not use I.

Even then, Louisiana would tie with Illinois; there's a 51I and J in Chicago. Louisiana might well be DQ'd for artificially increasing the letters by using a different set southbound than it does northbound (there isn't a 1A—F southbound), and posting exits in mile 0 as part of mile 1 (ODOT uses a similar trick but it only gets us up to 1G on I-235).

So if you don't count Missouri, then Illinois should be the winner.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 23, 2021, 05:55:56 PM
I still give Missouri the win, because there is a legitimate reason to not use I.

Even then, Louisiana would tie with Illinois; there's a 51I and J in Chicago. Louisiana might well be DQ'd for artificially increasing the letters by using a different set southbound than it does northbound (there isn't a 1A—F southbound), and posting exits in mile 0 as part of mile 1 (ODOT uses a similar trick but it only gets us up to 1G on I-235).

So if you don't count Missouri, then Illinois should be the winner.

I'm actually not sure about that 51-J in Chicago. It shows up on the exit list on the Wikipedia as Taylor Street/Roosevelt Road, but on the ground it's posted as 52A. It's possible something changed at some point, and it's also possible that I've just overlooked something.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

SkyPesos

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 23, 2021, 05:55:56 PM
(ODOT uses a similar trick but it only gets us up to 1G on I-235).
I was about to correct you there and say it's I-75, not I-235 :D. Turns out both goes up to 1G.

Though before the Fort Washington Way (I-71) reconstruction in the 90s, it used to go up to 1K in downtown Cincinnati.

Roadgeekteen

Not a fan of lettered exits because many places use A-B-C for multiple ramps at one exit. This could cause confusion if some states are using letters as numbers.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

Quote from: fwydriver405 on April 22, 2021, 11:33:22 PM

Upon further research, I discovered that the Atlantic City—Brigantine Connector (NJ 446X) also has lettered exits, A-I as well.

The AC Expressway Connector uses letters because nearly every exit is an exception to the norm. A & B would be between MP 0 & 1, and Exits E - I are all between MP 2 & 3. Exits C & D aren't used. Exit H inexplicably comes before Exit G

So rather than using numbers as every one would require a letter suffix with very closely spaced exits, they just use letters.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 24, 2021, 12:02:31 AM

Upon further research, I discovered that the Atlantic City–Brigantine Connector (NJ 446X) also has lettered exits, A-I as well.

The AC Expressway Connector uses letters because nearly every exit is an exception to the norm. A & B would be between MP 0 & 1, and Exits E - I are all between MP 2 & 3. Exits C & D aren't used. Exit H inexplicably comes before Exit G

So rather than using numbers as every one would require a letter suffix with very closely spaced exits, they just use letters.
Use sequential exits than. I support mile based exits in most cases, but that is one where sequential would work.

Edit: Although I might be wrong, as some motorists might be confused by this. But I dunno.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

I don't really see what the problem is with using 0A, 0B (or 1A, 1B if you want to be a wuss about it), 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E.

Roadsguy

I know of three places in Pennsylvania where exits are "numbered" with only letters:

The first is on Park Avenue in State College, which becomes somewhat of a short surface expressway as it runs through the Mount Nittany Interchange (I-99/US 322). Before feeding into I-99, it has two half interchanges serving Innovation Park, designated Exit A and Exit B. While they're also signed with BGSes, they don't have exit tabs, instead saying "EXIT A" and "EXIT B" at the bottom as seen in the first link.

Next is the US 119/US 422 interchange in Indiana, which is a full cloverleaf between the two bypasses of the town. All ramps on both routes are designated Exit A or Exit B in their respective directions. PennDOT generally doesn't number exits on non-Interstates, which is why there are no numbers here, but giving each ramp at a cloverleaf a letter without a number is quite rare, as most cloverleafs on non-Interstates have no designations at all for the exits.

Similarly, the interchange between the Mon-Fayette Expressway (PA Turnpike 43) and US 40 west of Brownsville is a cloverleaf. The Mon-Fayette, being a Turnpike system road, has numbered exits (in this case 30A-B), but US 40 has Exit A and Exit B just like the previous example. Interestingly, unlike that interchange, the previous signage (prior to the Uniontown to Brownsville section of 43 opening) shows that there was originally space for a number alongside the letters, including on the exit gore signs which are still there today (or at least when Street View last went by).
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

roadman65

Mercury Blvd in Hampton at one used them. NB used double letters and SB used single letters for all the signalized intersections. 

They were especially present when the roadway had a dual carriage way configuration in the seventies and early eighties.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

odditude

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 24, 2021, 03:20:41 AM

I don't really see what the problem is with using 0A, 0B (or 1A, 1B if you want to be a wuss about it), 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E.
i could see it being very confusing to your average AC visitor - remember, this is an extension of sorts of the AC Expressway, and is largely considered by locals to be part of it. having duplicated exit numbers would lead to (even more) lost tourists. granted, less of an issue in the current GPS age, but at time of construction...

Scott5114

Quote from: odditude on April 24, 2021, 04:19:16 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 24, 2021, 03:20:41 AM

i could see it being very confusing to your average AC visitor - remember, this is an extension of sorts of the AC Expressway, and is largely considered by locals to be part of it. having duplicated exit numbers would lead to (even more) lost tourists. granted, less of an issue in the current GPS age, but at time of construction...

In that case, 100A, 100B, 102A, 102B, 102C, 102D, 102E. :P

But really, I don't think duplicated exit numbers on different highways really get confused too much. Exit numbers aren't really useful until you have directed the person onto the road they need to be on, so any good set of directions would make sure that someone wouldn't see the "wrong" exit 2.

vdeane

NY 347 has letters for a jughandle!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

fwydriver405

Quote from: vdeane on April 23, 2021, 01:02:17 PM
Interesting that Maine is doing that.  They used to have the letter below the gore.  Is there any pattern to the letters?  They seem to be somewhat random and don't even match when the same exit can be accessed from both directions.

I believe the exits were assigned letters based on what the Turnpike Authority (or MaineDOT, don't really know) for each on and off ramp. If you go further up the ramp, you may see "RAMP (letter)" posted. See below for SR 703 (Maine Turnpike App.) Exits:

ExitExit / Ramp ID EBExit / Ramp ID WB
to SR-114 / Maine Mall Rd / JetportJG
to I-295 N / PortlandEN (to the Scarborough Connector)
to Broadway / S PortlandANo westbound exit
to Scarborough / Old Orchard BeachSNo westbound exit

Based on what I've seen, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Scarborough Connector (SR 701) got the same treatment as well. EDIT: the gore signs on the Scarborough Connector (SR 701) do not have the same gore signs like SR 703 (METpkApp.) Still have the EXIT signs with the letter on the bottom of the sign.

fwydriver405

Update to the (solely) lettered exits in Maine... it appears that the lettering of exits has extended to the freeway portion of US Route 1 between Brunswick and Bath.

https://fox23maine.com/news/i-team/ask-the-i-team-why-are-some-route-1-exits-in-maine-now-using-letters-midocast-bath-brunswick-mainedot-road-changes-emergency-crews-first-responders

MaineDOT's reasoning for lettering the exits on the freeway portion of US 1:

Quote from: MaineDOT"We have lettered exit ramps at the southern end of I-295 to assist with emergency response, and we felt it was appropriate to do the same thing along Route 1."

I remember asking a similar question on 10 March 2020 about why there are no numbered exits on the freeway portion of US 1:

Quote from: MaineDOTWhy are there no exit numbers on the freeway portion on US-1 in Bath?
Route 1 isn't a control of access facility for its entire length, placing exit numbers in the middle of Route 1 for a 5 mile stretch might cause confusion. MaineDOT uses mile point numbers to number exits and several exits are less than a mile apart which would require us to put exit 60 A–B-C-D. So we decided it was less confusing leaving the exits as they are.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.