News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chays

Was cruising GSV along Sand Canyon Rd in Santa Clarita, CA, area (there have been some bad wildfires there lately).  I found this sign along the road:

The area is a dry Mediterranean climate...I'm wondering what kind of algae might be found on the roadways.  Has anyone ever seen this warning before?

https://goo.gl/maps/ayZh3Hv2zrr

1995hoo

Saw this earlier today at the northbound rest area on I-95 south of Melbourne, Florida. I've never seen a QR code on a sign before (recognizing the HUGE difference between a sign on a wall at a rest area versus a sign on the road itself).

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: kphoger on July 28, 2016, 02:12:57 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 27, 2016, 11:42:58 PM
This is one of my favorite signs and I've seen it in 2012 and 2014, but this afternoon was the first time I had a chance to get a picture. It's near the southern end of Bonaventure Boulevard in Weston, Florida, as you approach Griffin Road. I have no idea what legal authority (statute, city regulation, whatever) supports the sign, and I wonder how many people don't know what "queue" means. But I love the sign.

Well, simply barging your way over into the other lane, regardless of the presence of another vehicle and expecting everyone else to adjust to your maneuver...  That would certainly constitute an illegal lane change.  That's really only an issue in stand-still traffic, though.
It's the national sport of aggressive driving in south Florida.  It gets more common and far worse as you progress south from Palm Beach to Broward to Miami-Dade Counties.

cl94

Quote from: xcellntbuy on July 28, 2016, 05:53:14 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 28, 2016, 02:12:57 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 27, 2016, 11:42:58 PM
This is one of my favorite signs and I've seen it in 2012 and 2014, but this afternoon was the first time I had a chance to get a picture. It's near the southern end of Bonaventure Boulevard in Weston, Florida, as you approach Griffin Road. I have no idea what legal authority (statute, city regulation, whatever) supports the sign, and I wonder how many people don't know what "queue" means. But I love the sign.

Well, simply barging your way over into the other lane, regardless of the presence of another vehicle and expecting everyone else to adjust to your maneuver...  That would certainly constitute an illegal lane change.  That's really only an issue in stand-still traffic, though.
It's the national sport of aggressive driving in south Florida.  It gets more common and far worse as you progress south from Palm Beach to Broward to Miami-Dade Counties.

Damn common among tourons around here as well. Annoys the hell out of me. Queue starts forming 1-2 miles before the exit and some dipshit cuts in, slowing down both lanes.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

national highway 1

From the 'Exit Number Challenge' thread.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=17867.msg2162445#msg2162445

Interesting that this sign only includes route markers, but with no control cities.
Taken westbound on I-70, west of Topeka, KS.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

odditude

Quote from: national highway 1 on July 29, 2016, 12:32:41 AM
Interesting that this sign only includes route markers, but with no control cities.

these aren't that rare as the final signs at major interstate junctions/splits; previous signs will have more detailed guidance and smaller shields. examples:
I-195 EB @ I-95/NJTP in NJ
I-495 NB/IL @ I-270 (spur) in MD (StreetView is broken at the moment)

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: odditude on July 29, 2016, 11:12:22 AM

these aren't that rare as the final signs at major interstate junctions/splits; previous signs will have more detailed guidance and smaller shields. examples:
I-195 EB @ I-95/NJTP in NJ
I-495 NB/IL @ I-270 (spur) in MD (StreetView is broken at the moment)

This does have directions, but the entire sign display for the Interstate 345, Interstate 45 and Interstate 30 junction in Dallas has no control cities for exits off Interstate 345 and Interstate 45, which I always found odd.  And both directions:

Southbound Interstate 345:  https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7845242,-96.7914566,3a,42.6y,141.04h,94.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szRnVlQYEs2Vo23HlmvHohg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Northbound Interstate 45:  https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7752515,-96.7787549,3a,26.6y,326.44h,91.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sn06TWQ8uG-V1r-LZG6h7RQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

paulthemapguy

It's because there's no real reason to go west and exit to go back east again.  It's almost like they're saying "I don't know why you'd take this exit...but here it is lawl"  I've seen this at a bunch of exit ramps that take you to a road running in the opposite direction (Route A east to route B west, for example).  Also Illinois Tollways don't like control cities for some reason.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

Tom958

On the ramp from I-85 southbound to I-285 westbound at Spaghetti Junction, north of Atlanta. This appeared one morning on my normal route to work, but the day before I was reassigned to Clemson, SC. I didn't have camera at the ready, and it'd be a week before I could return to get a photo.Imagine the frustration:

vdeane

If you think waiting a week is bad, imagine this scenario: you're getting photos of I-90, but due to sun angle and whatnot, you didn't get a good picture of the welcome sign erected by the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority.  15 months later when you finally go on that stretch of road again in the eastbound direction, and MassDOT went ahead and replaced the sign with a standard one before you could get your picture.  This sign is now gone: https://goo.gl/maps/7jkssiL4v5r
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bruce

briantroutman

I noticed this guide sign on an FHWA video about concrete barriers in work areas.

I assume this is at the interchange of Nell Street and I-74 in Champaign, IL. Without doing any research, I'll also surmise that the extra wide diamond interchange there was previously a full eight-ramp cloverleaf, and that this SOUTH panel was to distinguish the first Nell Street exit (southbound) from the second (northbound). Was use of this type of large, route-marker-sized black-on-white directional panel standard practice for IDOT at the time?

jwolfer

Mapmikey

Quote from: jwolfer on August 04, 2016, 01:52:45 PM

Amelia Island, FL

There are a bunch of these in the Tallahassee area...well worth the excursions...

bzakharin

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 04, 2016, 08:21:17 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on August 04, 2016, 01:52:45 PM

Amelia Island, FL

There are a bunch of these in the Tallahassee area...well worth the excursions...
What exactly is the problem with the canopy? It obstructs your view up? It makes it a bit darker?

jwolfer

Low hanging limbs and clearance issues for trucks and RVs

Usually very scenic roads

kphoger

I just drove by this one on Saturday.  I suspect it's not heavily enforced...  :sombrero:

Translation:  60 km/h IN PRESENCE OF BUTTERFLIES

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

7/8

One more speed limit sign from me, just for good mesaure. :) I found this one on Fourth Ave at Kingsway Dr in Kitchener. The white line in the 4 makes me wonder if a stencil was used for the number.

Sorry for the dirty windshield :-D

hbelkins

Quote from: 7/8 on August 08, 2016, 06:56:33 PM
One more speed limit sign from me, just for good mesaure. :) I found this one on Fourth Ave at Kingsway Dr in Kitchener. The white line in the 4 makes me wonder if a stencil was used for the number.

Sorry for the dirty windshield :-D

KYTC District 11 used stenciled numbers, with obvious white lines, for many years, and a new stenciled sign will occasionally make its way onto a signpost via a new installation. I've got a few pics on my site.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: kphoger on August 08, 2016, 10:31:13 AM
I just drove by this one on Saturday.  I suspect it's not heavily enforced...  :sombrero:

Translation:  37 mph IN PRESENCE OF BUTTERFLIES

Fixed for those who refuse to go metric :sombrero:. I don't need translation.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

SidS1045

Quote from: vdeane on July 30, 2016, 09:27:22 PM
If you think waiting a week is bad, imagine this scenario: you're getting photos of I-90, but due to sun angle and whatnot, you didn't get a good picture of the welcome sign erected by the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority.  15 months later when you finally go on that stretch of road again in the eastbound direction, and MassDOT went ahead and replaced the sign with a standard one before you could get your picture.  This sign is now gone: https://goo.gl/maps/7jkssiL4v5r

I'd almost bet that 15-month interval contained the time when the Turnpike Authority was dissolved and administration of the Turnpike turned over to MassDOT.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

vdeane

My first attempt to get the sign was on 4/19/15 and when I came back was 7/23/16.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SidS1045

Quote from: vdeane on August 09, 2016, 12:51:04 PM
My first attempt to get the sign was on 4/19/15 and when I came back was 7/23/16.

Guess I'm a few years off.  The Authority disappeared in 2009.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

vdeane

I wonder if they replaced it in anticipation of the coming sign replacement contracts?

cl94

I noticed that today. I think it went up this summer. I'm pretty sure the old sign was up when I went through there in April (and possibly May).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.