News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: kenarmy on March 23, 2021, 07:59:30 PM
When people are always trying to correct thread titles and replies, but like in a smartass fashion. And it really doesn't contribute to anything.  Just move along and take that mess somewhere else 😭👋.

It wouldn't be a roadgeek forum if people weren't pedantic.

kphoger

When people are always trying to correct thread titles and replies, but like in a smartass fashion. And it really doesn't contribute to anything.  Just move along and take that mess somewhere else 😭👋.

You could have just said kphoger.  Would have saved you some typing.

Mods:  You should totally make a custom badge for my profile that includes the word "snark".  I'd wear it like a scarlet letter.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 23, 2021, 09:04:04 PM
Mods:  You should totally make a custom badge for my profile that includes the word "snark".  I'd wear it like a scarlet letter.

It's not an official badge, but US71 is already the "Master of Snark".

kenarmy

Quote from: kphoger on March 23, 2021, 09:04:04 PM

You could have just said kphoger.  Would have saved you some typing.

sure i could've, but there are several others 🍵.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 23, 2021, 03:11:27 PM
Quote from: GaryV on March 23, 2021, 08:54:50 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 22, 2021, 06:46:03 PM
But we have done things like switch doctors in part because their staff was cantankerous at us for being late to an appointment and almost not letting my wife see the doctor.
Obviously you should try to be on time, but if you have a good reason once or twice, they shouldn't get upset with you.  Compare it to how many times you got there on time but the doctor was running late!

We were coming from Norman and the appointment was in Northwest Oklahoma City and got slowed down by traffic. And yeah, we still had to wait on the doctor, even though we were late...

At that point you were being punished.

hotdogPi

"Drive like your kids live here" or similar wording on any road with a center yellow line.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

texaskdog

Quote from: 1 on March 25, 2021, 08:25:49 PM
"Drive like your kids live here" or similar wording on any road with a center yellow line.

I do, because my kids know not to play in the street or run into the street without looking.

roadman65

The drive up ATM when the car in front of you stays there for more than five minutes without withdrawing or depositing.  Most of the time the driver sits there and occasionally his or her hand comes out to push a few buttons, before another long pause, to return to the machine to push more buttons and then pull the arm in for another indefinite period to then again push more buttons to start over.

Sometimes the walk up ATM is more efficient.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tolbs17

When a stranger hugs you cause you don't know them (to be honest, this is real and it happened!).

I was going to post this a while back but I thought it would make people laugh.

webny99

Those bother me regardless of whether there's a center yellow line or not.

kurumi

If my kids live there, then I can pull into the driveway, open the fridge, have a beer, grill a couple steaks, call a babysitter to have the kids live somewhere else for a few hours, have a nice romantic evening with the wife, ... oh wait, my kids don't live here?
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

formulanone

If I drove like my kids, I'd probably be dead; or at least, need a new car.

Zeffy

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 25, 2021, 10:49:33 PM
When a stranger hugs you cause you don't know them (to be honest, this is real and it happened!).

Where I'm at in life, I'd take hugs no questions asked.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

texaskdog

Quote from: roadman65 on March 25, 2021, 10:48:55 PM
The drive up ATM when the car in front of you stays there for more than five minutes without withdrawing or depositing.  Most of the time the driver sits there and occasionally his or her hand comes out to push a few buttons, before another long pause, to return to the machine to push more buttons and then pull the arm in for another indefinite period to then again push more buttons to start over.

Also with drive up windows at fast food places.  I hate drive throughs I only use them now because I have asthma and I'd rather not deal with all the protocols.  You wait behind someone for 10 minutes and they always have either 10 bags of food or one small items.  If you see a large van or SUV you're doomed.  At least more places now are having you pull ahead.

texaskdog

Quote from: Zeffy on March 26, 2021, 09:23:59 AM

Where I'm at in life, I'd take hugs no questions asked.

I love hugs.  the funniest hugs are the ones where the person talks to you like 2 inches in front of you and youre still hugging (either kiss me or let me go lol)

formulanone

It's only weird when you don't know them well; and not sure if public circumstances permit. It's weird if they hug one person and not another; but I don't really get bothered by it. In recent years, there seems to be a social divide whereby "hugs are okay if you want them" and it's "honestly okay to not want them", which I can understand from both sides. I have kids and they shouldn't feel pressured to hug anyone that isn't family (though we never pressure them). This is coming from someone whereby I'll even hug good friends of mine if I haven't seen them in a really long time, and I know they are not socially embarrassed by anything!

Of course, due to COVID-19, hugs are verboten in the workplace and handshakes are even oddities (pleased to meet you...but no offense, I'm using hand sanitizer or washing up right afterwards).

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: texaskdog on March 26, 2021, 09:33:49 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 25, 2021, 10:48:55 PM

Also with drive up windows at fast food places.  I hate drive throughs I only use them now because I have asthma and I'd rather not deal with all the protocols.  You wait behind someone for 10 minutes and they always have either 10 bags of food or one small items.  If you see a large van or SUV you're doomed.  At least more places now are having you pull ahead.

as a former mcrobot-drive-thru guy... totally agree. what used to really toast my waffles (and probably customers' as well) was when they think its cute to let their 2 year old kid. all kid can say that i can understand is 'goo'. which i have always translated to 'mcnuggets happy meal with sprite, and honey sauce (which is a terrible idea for a kid in a car in the first place).

also, from the headset-wearer's pov.. would you PLEASE shut off your gigantic diesel pickup when you order? i want to get your order right, as much as you want me to get your order right. i would ask politely once, 'could you kill your engine for second?', and if you did not, would hit about 5 or 6 random items on the register and read you your total. of course, you get to the window, i say 'hi, $14.85 please' and you're like 'all i wanted was a cheeseburger!' ... well, i though i heard something else.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

tolbs17

Quote from: formulanone on March 26, 2021, 10:55:35 AM

It's only weird when you don't know them well; and not sure if public circumstances permit. It's weird if they hug one person and not another; but I don't really get bothered by it. In recent years, there seems to be a social divide whereby "hugs are okay if you want them" and it's "honestly okay to not want them", which I can understand from both sides. I have kids and they shouldn't feel pressured to hug anyone that isn't family (though we never pressure them). This is coming from someone whereby I'll even hug good friends of mine if I haven't seen them in a really long time, and I know they are not socially embarrassed by anything!

Of course, due to COVID-19, hugs are verboten in the workplace and handshakes are even oddities (pleased to meet you...but no offense, I'm using hand sanitizer or washing up right afterwards).
It was a total stranger at an event.

texaskdog

While I hate most of the protocols, shaking hands is kind of filthy by nature and I won't miss it.

interstatefan990

On that topic, I hate school speed limits that are unreasonably low. 25 mph is fine. If I see a group of young ones or another hazard, I will slow down. I'm all for child safety, but no need to force us to go 15 or 20 and then threaten us with higher fines just because kids are occasionally in the area and some drivers speed through. The parents/teachers should be watching out for the kids anyway.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

hbelkins

People who wrongly use the word "formally" for "formerly."

Used in a sentence: "The Mario M. Cuomo Bridge, formally known as the Tappan Zee Bridge," has an issue with substandard bolts."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JoePCool14

Quote from: hbelkins on March 26, 2021, 02:02:36 PM

Used in a sentence: "The Mario M. Cuomo Bridge, formally known as the Tappan Zee Bridge," has an issue with substandard bolts."

I'm sure this has something to do with the terms both being used for legitimate reasons. For example, using slang for something and then saying "formally known as...". It also has to do with the way the words are spoken. It's easy to write it wrong.

It's like "affect" versus "effect". People start getting lazy trying to use the right one.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Rothman

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 26, 2021, 05:25:00 PM

I'm sure this has something to do with the terms both being used for legitimate reasons. For example, using slang for something and then saying "formally known as...". It also has to do with the way the words are spoken. It's easy to write it wrong.

It's like "affect" versus "effect". People start getting lazy trying to use the right one.

Not in his example.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

For all intensive purposes, at lease their trying. In the throws off passion, wheel make eras. :D

Seriously, I'd rather that some people just use small and/or simple words, and not try to act smart, if they so choose to misuse more than one word in a sentence. It has become increasingly obvious when autocorrect chose the word and it was accidentally selected, rather than the wrong word intentionally used.

Admittedly, effect and affect sound similar to some ears, but usually I can tell by context which one is correct (one is a verb, the other is a noun). I say we call the misuse of them a "daffect" or "deffect".

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on March 26, 2021, 05:34:20 PM

Not in his example.

I think what he's getting at is that "the Stan Span, formally known as the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge" is a legitimate use of the word, and the fact that it has such a legitimate use might contribute to its misuse elsewhere.

However, I hardly ever see it used that way.  In that context, the word "officially" is generally used instead.  I just did a Google search for {"officially named the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge"} and for {"formally named the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge"};  the first returned 48 results, but the second returned only two.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.