News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

AARoads Page Updates

Started by Alex, January 19, 2009, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Added photos to the Outer loop page of Interstate 495 in Virginia. Also added information on the project to add HOT lanes. How is that going anyway? The new photos are from 2005, and unfortunately I have nothing more recent. This will matter not as the whole road will change drastically over the next 4 years and need to be rephotographed.

The Beltway pages also now reflect that the Springfield Interchange is completed (well except for Phase IIX).

I also updated the Capital Beltway pages for I-95/495 to reflect the Woodrow Wilson Bridge Replacement, and added a few more photos taken during the work. Unfortunately for this, I only have traveled the route at night, so there are no updated photos showing the final configuration. For the outer loop page, I have directed viewers to see Froggie's site for updated imagery.

I split the Maryland 295/Baltimore-Washington Pages to separate the state-maintained vs. NPS maintained sections. Added a few more photos to northbound from 06/22/05.

Also slapped up a few photos of MD 4 when we drove from I-95/495 to the beginning of Suitland Parkway.

Lastly, the Interstate 95 guides for Virginia were resplit and html files renamed to na, nb, nc and sa, sb, sc, etc. I realized that there are several pages with very little content, and Interstate 95 is one of the routes in the state that we have well covered. So in the coming weeks/months, I'll try to add more to those weaker pages.

I have revised the map as per Andy and Froggie's suggestions, but am waiting to get a final output before posting it. The new map will be a zoomify map, allowing for more detail.

My DC area queue is down to 254 photos, many of which were taken on multiple trips along I-395. I'll be working through these next before likely returning to updating New York.

This weekend I'll be out of town on a roadtrip with Carter to Memphis and perhaps points north.

Alex

I moved all of the 2007 and 2008 updates onto their own pages from the main updates page on AARoads.

Also, in continuing with my DC area update, I added/replaced photos on I-695 (mainly eastbound) and I-395 (both directions across the Potomac and on the Southeast Freeway) tonight and also created a small VA 233 guide and added four photos to U.S. 1 south at Crystal City. All that remains in our queue from within the Beltway are photos of Interstate 395 in Virginia.

Alex

Finished updating the I-395 Virginia pages, which involved splitting them into north and southbound guides. This includes new photos from 01/02/08 of every southbound exit.

I was a bit off in my statement about I-395 being the last batch of photos within the beltway in our queue... we still have some photos of George Washington Memorial Parkway and a couple of Virginia 110, which will be added in my next update.

WillWeaverRVA

Since your updates have found their way back to VA, do you still need those photos of I-564 (I have all new photos in both directions)?
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

froggie

Noticed the Outer Loop in Virginia page (I-495 standalone section), at the bottom, links directly to the Maryland page instead of the I-95/495 duplex in Virginia...

On the northbound B-W Pkwy page, with the 3 photos of MD 201...that's actually part of Kenilworth Ave and not the B-W Pkwy.

The northbound and southbound I-95 in Fairfax County pages need some notable rehab...or at least mention of two items:  the currently underway, multi-year widening of the mainline lanes between the Occaquan River and either at (SB) or just south of (NB) SR 7100/Fairfax County Pkwy.

Alex

Quote from: froggie on September 19, 2009, 09:41:26 PM
Noticed the Outer Loop in Virginia page (I-495 standalone section), at the bottom, links directly to the Maryland page instead of the I-95/495 duplex in Virginia...

Fixed, thanks for the heads up.

On the northbound B-W Pkwy page, with the 3 photos of MD 201...that's actually part of Kenilworth Ave and not the B-W Pkwy.

Also fixed. Until researching for that page the other day, I had no idea that Maryland 201 was even a part of the picture.

The northbound and southbound I-95 in Fairfax County pages need some notable rehab...or at least mention of two items:  the currently underway, multi-year widening of the mainline lanes between the Occaquan River and either at (SB) or just south of (NB) SR 7100/Fairfax County Pkwy.

As I admitted above, those Interstate 95 pages are way out of date, with the southbound ones very lacking in any content. I may or may not add some of that material in my next round of updates. If I continue on I-95 guides, I'd likely not stop until finishing updating all of the Virginia pages. Its a matter of whether or not I want to prioritize that.  :hmmm:

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer
Since your updates have found their way back to VA, do you still need those photos of I-564 (I have all new photos in both directions)?

Sure, I can sneak in an update for I-564 with your images in my next round! Email me what you have. :colorful:

WillWeaverRVA

Okay, give me till the end of the day and I'll send them to you.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

FLRoads

Since I was recently in the southwest corner of Arkansas, I decided to create a couple of pages to give the Interstate 30 page in the Arkansas portion of the site some company. :)

I added an Arkansas 549 page, covering the northbound perspective from its beginning near the state line to its end in Texarkana. I split the page so there may hopefully be an eventual southbound perspective of the now state limited-access freeway. Of course this will change when (and ever the always if) it becomes a part of Interstate 49.

rickmastfan67

Got a few new shots of the start of I-579 on I-279 with the new exit numbers.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: AARoads on September 19, 2009, 11:56:09 PM
Sure, I can sneak in an update for I-564 with your images in my next round! Email me what you have. :colorful:

I sent the email earlier this afternoon. It was just under gmail's size limit. Did you get it?
Will Weaver

Alex

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on September 21, 2009, 12:08:24 AM
Quote from: AARoads on September 19, 2009, 11:56:09 PM

I sent the email earlier this afternoon. It was just under gmail's size limit. Did you get it?

Yes, it is in my inbox. I have to remember which program I extracted the last compressed file batch.

I thought I was done with D.C. material, but I overlooked 12/26/06 photos I took of B/W Pkwy & MD 201, DC-295, and I-295, so I got those posted tonight. Also posted a few updates here and there such as MD-32, small pages for VA 28 and VA 234, and added a couple of I-66 images.

froggie

On that I-295 page, and the first photo in particular, I-695 ends at that Pennsylvania Ave exit.  The Southeast Freeway between the 11th St Bridge and Pennsylvania Ave is officially I-295, even though you can no longer make the direct connections to "stay on I-295".

The "first standalone I-295 shield" is no longer where you photographed it.  It's now a bubble-shield (similar to the I-H201 shields) just before the Howard Rd exit.

Some of the photos (such as the Exit 2 signage) bring up a "multiple choices" error.  Most of the rest bring up photos that don't match the thumbnails.

On the I-66 page, about 1/4 down, it's very noticeable that your photos are dated.  The 2-to-4 transition heading eastbound is now just west of Prince William Pkwy (VA 234 South), and construction has been underway for awhile now to extend it to US 29/Gainesville.

On the DC 295 page, the first 4 photos are a major construction area right now, as DDOT rebuilds the overpass over Burroughs Ave.  I believe this project is also reconfiguring the ramps in the area, but I'm not 100% on that.

The "END SOUTH DC 295" shields no longer exist.

Minor nitpick:  on some of your DC area pages, I've noticed you reference a given route as "controlled access".  Although you're technically not wrong there, in most parlance, "controlled access" refers to freeway-grade facilities, and "limited access" refers to expressways (engineering definition, not the Northeast/Chicago definition).  That said, Virginia switches the two terms.

Alex

Quote from: froggie on September 21, 2009, 09:46:08 AM

Some of the photos (such as the Exit 2 signage) bring up a "multiple choices" error.  Most of the rest bring up photos that don't match the thumbnails.

Minor nitpick:  on some of your DC area pages, I've noticed you reference a given route as "controlled access".  Although you're technically not wrong there, in most parlance, "controlled access" refers to freeway-grade facilities, and "limited access" refers to expressways (engineering definition, not the Northeast/Chicago definition).  That said, Virginia switches the two terms.

Doh!  :crazy: I forgot to send up the new D.C. 295 images, they should work properly now.

I'll address some of your other suggestions/corrections later. Regarding the minor nitpick, I use the term limited-access for freeways and controlled-access for expressways. I know the rules sometimes swap; for instance when I worked for Universal Map, they used "controlled access highway" for all freeways on their map legend and in their updates. To me controlled access is no private driveways, shopping center entrances, etc.; only access at interchanges or at-grade intersections.

Also regarding the discussion over at Tim's thread about our DC 295 guide. The exit numbers in the file names are something that we came up with. We will assign mile-based exit numbers for file-naming to make it easier to organize photos. I do not actually reference the implied exit numbers in the captions, but Andy sometimes does. So the Exit number references on D.C. 295 are purely suggestive in nature.

mefailenglish

Minor update about MD 32.  It certainly wasn't the case in '04 but now all of the exits have exit tabs/numbers posted. 

Alex

Quote from: mefailenglish on September 21, 2009, 01:27:50 PM
Minor update about MD 32.  It certainly wasn't the case in '04 but now all of the exits have exit tabs/numbers posted. 

I was using Wikipedia's list to fill in some of the missing numbers. But it appears that Guilford Road is unnumbered, and the exits through Fort Meade may also be unnumbered. It has been since 2005 since I last drove or photographed the route...

mefailenglish

Quote from: AARoads on September 21, 2009, 01:41:46 PM
I was using Wikipedia's list to fill in some of the missing numbers. But it appears that Guilford Road is unnumbered, and the exits through Fort Meade may also be unnumbered. It has been since 2005 since I last drove or photographed the route...
Hmm.  It's not too far from home; I'll try to check it out in the next week or so.

Alex

Quote from: mefailenglish on September 21, 2009, 01:55:47 PM
Hmm.  It's not too far from home; I'll try to check it out in the next week or so.

If you take any photos, let me know. That page could use some updating.  :colorful:

mefailenglish

Quote from: AARoads on September 21, 2009, 01:58:15 PM
Quote from: mefailenglish on September 21, 2009, 01:55:47 PM

If you take any photos, let me know. That page could use some updating.  :colorful:
In the meantime I do have one from the eastbound direction:)

Alex

I addressed the corrections and updates Froggie mentioned above on I-295 DC, DC-295, and I-66 VA.

Today I split the southbound I-295 pages into two parts with 01/02/08 photo additions between Interstate 95 south of Ashland to Virginia 36 at Fort Lee.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: AARoads on September 26, 2009, 02:06:44 AM
I addressed the corrections and updates Froggie mentioned above on I-295 DC, DC-295, and I-66 VA.

Today I split the southbound I-295 pages into two parts with 01/02/08 photo additions between Interstate 95 south of Ashland to Virginia 36 at Fort Lee.

Looks great so far, but you used an I-95 south graphic at the bottom of the first I-295 south page! :p
Will Weaver

Alex

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on September 26, 2009, 03:22:16 AM

Looks great so far, but you used an I-95 south graphic at the bottom of the first I-295 south page! :p

Oops, forgot to send up the I-295 graphic for that. When the server cannot find the image in question, it sometimes approximates by posting a file with a similar name. Its fixed now, thanks!

froggie

QuoteWhen the server cannot find the image in question, it sometimes approximates by posting a file with a similar name.

Hence the "multiple choices" error I was getting on some of the pages last week, I would imagine...

Alex

Quote from: froggie on September 26, 2009, 09:50:38 PM
QuoteWhen the server cannot find the image in question, it sometimes approximates by posting a file with a similar name.

Hence the "multiple choices" error I was getting on some of the pages last week, I would imagine...

Yes, the server will also try to approximate for missing files. If there are multiple files with similar names, it will give the multiple choices option. Better than a 403 error.

Alex

Created a VA-150 page with photos taken by Will Weaver. Also added three of Will's photos for I-295's north end and replaced one photo of I-295 south at Exit 28B. Next update will focus on I-564.

Alex

A major improvement to the Interstate 564 guide is now online, thanks again to Will Weaver. Also added/replaced four photos of I-64 east at I-564 with images taken on the same trip.

This will be the last update for a week.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.