For us who use ad blockers on our Chrome, Edge, Firefox, or Mac browsers

Started by Billy F 1988, October 28, 2023, 12:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

GaryV

Quote from: thspfc on October 30, 2023, 08:12:55 PM
a few of my videos hit big last year and the additional amount I would have made off that if not for adblockers could have bought me a round-trip flight

Including $78 for TSA? 

(Sorry, wrong thread)

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 30, 2023, 09:06:13 PM

Quote from: kalvado on October 30, 2023, 08:56:59 PM
Creators are free to move to TikTok. Do they have any payout programs, btw?

TikTok is not suitable for the long-form videos that make up most of YouTube.

TwiXtter, perhaps?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bruce

YouTube still is the best widespread video platform, for all its faults. Especially for those of us who prefer to watch videos in landscape as they should be.

I did get the popups a few times but did the simple purge-and-refresh of the filters in uBlock and it seems to have fixed everything. Still looking into using a PiHole as a long-term solution, though.

Rothman

A VPN seems to work to get around the adblock ban...just have to choose the right country...

Also wonder about fadblock and if it's reliable or safe.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Molandfreak

I'm able to exit out of the message telling me that ad blockers are no longer allowed and watch videos normally. It's an extra step, but it works.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Rothman

Quote from: Molandfreak on November 01, 2023, 07:43:17 AM
I'm able to exit out of the message telling me that ad blockers are no longer allowed and watch videos normally. It's an extra step, but it works.
It'll switch over to a message that you can watch three videos until they disable the player.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

I'm noticing a new trend among some news websites of posting a message demanding that you either subscribe or disable your adblocker, with no easy apparent way to get rid of the message other than complying. I know they're businesses, they need to make money, and advertising is a part of that, but until they come up with ways to advertise that don't involve pop-up ads or forcing you to tolerate unwanted video advertising, I'll stick with the adblockers.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Molandfreak

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 01, 2023, 08:14:00 AM
I'm noticing a new trend among some news websites of posting a message demanding that you either subscribe or disable your adblocker, with no easy apparent way to get rid of the message other than complying. I know they're businesses, they need to make money, and advertising is a part of that, but until they come up with ways to advertise that don't involve pop-up ads or forcing you to tolerate unwanted video advertising, I'll stick with the adblockers.
That's better than the subscription-only model almost every paper under the sun has been adopting. Sorry, but I have enough on my plate managing streaming service subscriptions. No way I want to add 10 newspaper subscriptions to that repertoire. If you're a major publisher in a top-50 metro area, you should have no problem getting companies to pay you top dollar to run ads on your content.
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

kalvado

Quote from: Molandfreak on November 01, 2023, 08:22:16 AM
That's better than the subscription-only model almost every paper under the sun has been adopting. Sorry, but I have enough on my plate managing streaming service subscriptions. No way I want to add 10 newspaper subscriptions to that repertoire. If you're a major publisher in a top-50 metro area, you should have no problem getting companies to pay you top dollar to run ads on your content.
Ad market seem to have more supply of ad space than demand from advertisers.

GaryV

Quote from: kalvado on November 01, 2023, 08:55:22 AM

Maybe because the advertisers know how many ad blockers there are, and it's not a good investment of their marketing budget.

kalvado

Quote from: GaryV on November 01, 2023, 10:01:09 AM
Quote from: kalvado on November 01, 2023, 08:55:22 AM

Maybe because the advertisers know how many ad blockers there are, and it's not a good investment of their marketing budget.
There are only that many things to be bought with money on hand, and people are growing immune to ads in general.
total ad market may be what, 1% of disposable income, if not less? It's not a small amount - but there are plenty of takers . Online, TV, newspapers, external ads... 

Scott5114

Turning off JavaScript tends to work on those sites. Unless they load massive swaths of the content with JavaScript, in which case you can safely assume that the site is run by people with poor taste who lack common sense, meaning that you probably shouldn't care much about what they want to tell you anyway.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mgk920

Maybe if the advertisers start creating ads that don't make us WANT to use ad-blockers in the first place . . .

:banghead:

Mike

kalvado

Quote from: mgk920 on November 01, 2023, 03:12:20 PM
Maybe if the advertisers start creating ads that don't make us WANT to use ad-blockers in the first place . . .

:banghead:

Mike
Unfortunately, that's the race to the bottom. Hard to explain people that ultimate outcome is negative for them. And the main target is older or less tech  people, who just need to be confused into doing stupid stuff, so confusing and misleading is the name of the game.
I really tried to give some web sites a chance over the years, very rarely other side ends up playing nice... and no second chance, once exception is removed there is no reason to  bring it back....

Big John

I just played a TouTube video and they had an ad to the side for an ad blocker.

HighwayStar

Quote from: Rothman on November 01, 2023, 08:07:11 AM
Quote from: Molandfreak on November 01, 2023, 07:43:17 AM
It'll switch over to a message that you can watch three videos until they disable the player.

They keep changing what happens. Today YouTube was showing a "You're offline" error to me even when I was online and every other site worked including YouTube up to the point where you wanted to watch a video.

So now they are using fake error messages as well.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Molandfreak

Brandon

Firefox with AdBlock and DuckDuckGo's ad blocker here, and so far, I've avoided ads on YouTube while being able to watch videos and having no issues doing so.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Billy F 1988

I was fed up with Chrome bugging me to update the stupid thing every time. So, I swapped over to Edge and have, not one, not two, but THREE blockers running on my Edge browser and no issue of YouTube slapping that "ad blockers are not allowed" error screen so far.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Scott5114

"I got tired of Chrome so I switched to Edge" carries the same energy as "After the government bought out my house in Love Canal, I used the money to buy a place in a nice little town called Pripyat".

Billy F 1988

Not sure how switching from Chrome to Edge and not encountering the same "Ad blockers not allowed" roadblock translates to trading a house in Love Canal for a geno-mutated Pripyat. At least my OS allows me to delay updates for Edge up to 35 days! Something Chrome doesn't do.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Scott5114

Edge is Chrome with the serial numbers filed off. You're just choosing to have Microsoft steal your data instead of Google.

The only safe browser is Firefox.

kalvado

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 30, 2023, 08:39:06 PM
Not sure how switching from Chrome to Edge and not encountering the same "Ad blockers not allowed" roadblock translates to trading a house in Love Canal for a geno-mutated Pripyat. At least my OS allows me to delay updates for Edge up to 35 days! Something Chrome doesn't do.
Is that how Fedora deals with that?

Scott5114

Quote from: kalvado on December 31, 2023, 10:48:34 AM
Is that how Fedora deals with that?

Fedora only updates when you type sudo dnf update and enter your password. If you want to configure it to auto-fire that command, you can, but you're responsible for deciding the update schedule. Likewise, if a reboot is required to apply some update, you're responsible for deciding when to reboot.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.