News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

When garbage trucks can't turn off the yellow strobes when they are not picking up trash bins.  It makes it hard to tell if they are just in transit or going to make a sudden stop.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on March 05, 2022, 09:55:20 AM
When garbage trucks can't turn off the yellow strobes when they are not picking up trash bins.  It makes it hard to tell if they are just in transit or going to make a sudden stop.

Along that same line, when trucks have yellow strobes on, and they hit their turn signal. That usually gets lost in the fray of all the strobe flashing. I'm aware of it and sometimes I'll turn my strobes off a moment before I put my turn signal on to make it more apparent that I'm turning.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2022, 10:41:26 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 04, 2022, 07:52:18 PM
You tip for service? I've never done that. Tipping is effectively mandatory. I don't really care how bad the service is, you tip. If something is wrong, tell someone, but don't stiff 'em.

Are you telling me you leave the same tip, no matter how good or bad the service was?  If so, then that's a totally foreign concept to me.

Correct, that's always what I've done. But then horrible experiences are so incredibly few and far between that I cannot readily think of the last time I felt like not tipping.

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2022, 10:41:26 PM
Your tip is your way of monetarily showing your appreciation for their good service.  If the service wasn't good, then the tip shouldn't be good either.

That's totally fine, but that's not usually how I've communicated my experience (good or bad). If things are great, sure, I tip a bit more than normal, but I try to make a point of leaving a review or saying that I appreciated their service (not in the military way), or even saying something to the manager. If I have a bad experience, I'll still tip (15 to 20%), but usually leave a poor review or say something to management. Substantially-reduced tipping or not tipping at all for "poor service" doesn't seem like it would have a positive effect on that person, and I don't want to assume that everyone in the service industry is always in great moods, not insanely overworked, etc. Some people have bad days, wake up on the wrong side of the bed, etc, and I don't feel like punishing them personally for that, especially without explaining why. Leaving reviews or speaking directly to either the server or management is much more likely to reduce or eliminate whatever problem there may have been, at least for people being served after me.

You may also do all of these things, I just don't *also* reduce the tip.

Quote from: webny99 on March 04, 2022, 09:18:02 PM
Maybe we just have two different terms for the same thing? I'm talking about leaving a tip when you eat at a sit-down restaurant. The reason you give the tip is because you get table service. And yes, it would be rude not to leave a tip, but it's still your choice, so in my view it's still "tipping for service" even if you always tip the same percentage.

I think my response above is sufficient enough of a response to your reply too.

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on March 05, 2022, 11:34:10 AM
I try to make a point of leaving a review or saying that I appreciated their service (not in the military way)

I know on a conscious level what you're trying to say, but the first mental image that leapt to my mind for "appreciating their service in the military way" was you approaching the waiter and solemnly and wordlessly pinning a medal to their shirt.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

noelbotevera

To add to the tip vs. no tip discussion: not every restaurant is created equal. I work for a mom-and-pop store, and all tips go into a shared pot. Tips have been used for...practically anything, from throwing parties to purchasing new pots and pans. I don't complain simply because I'm paid more than other restaurants in Chambersburg, through the magic of being paid under the table.

Not tipping in my case probably won't make or break the business. But it's a minor thing that bothers me, so it's in the thread.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Scott5114

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 05, 2022, 10:54:10 PM
Tips have been used for...practically anything, from throwing parties to purchasing new pots and pans. I don't complain simply because I'm paid more than other restaurants in Chambersburg, through the magic of being paid under the table.

All of that is hilariously illegal.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 05, 2022, 11:06:10 PM
Tips have been used for...practically anything, from throwing parties to purchasing new pots and pans. I don't complain simply because I'm paid more than other restaurants in Chambersburg, through the magic of being paid under the table.

Yes it is, but who's complaining?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

dlsterner

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 05, 2022, 11:16:40 PM

Hopefully there aren't any IRS employees who are also forum members.

kkt

Quote from: dlsterner on March 05, 2022, 11:40:30 PM

In a semi-anonymous forum with no specific restaurant named?  I don't think the IRS is going to get a warrant based only on that.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kkt on March 06, 2022, 12:52:56 AM

In a semi-anonymous forum with no specific restaurant named?  I don't think the IRS is going to get a warrant based only on that.

They should probably be more wary of State taxation employees, because if they're hiding tips, they're also hiding reporting taxable income to the state.  And they're also probably hiding revenue, so a loss in sales taxes to the state as well.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: jakeroot on March 04, 2022, 07:52:18 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 04, 2022, 07:46:07 AM
The whole concept of takeout is "I don't want to spend the time to eat in and have to tip for service", so you shouldn't have to tip or the tip should be a lot less at the very least.

You tip for service? I've never done that. Tipping is effectively mandatory. I don't really care how bad the service is, you tip. If something is wrong, tell someone, but don't stiff 'em.

For me, takeout tipping has still been mandatory due to lower levels of dine-in service at restaurants, and my desire to try and make up the difference (to the extent a single consumer can).

THANK you... not quite relevant, but i'm a delivery driver, and for me, that means the same as a server, just the kitchen is a little further from your table.

I'm not just 'a' pizza guy, I'm "the" pizza guy. If I deliver to you, you will remember the brand, and me, in a good way.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

snowc

When I search google and finds no results, this pops up.

This kinds of annoys me because Im trying to do work. And Not focus on a monster who wants to go fishing.  :spin:

formulanone

Quote from: snowc on March 06, 2022, 09:24:21 AM
When I search google and finds no results, this pops up.

This kinds of annoys me because Im trying to do work. And Not focus on a monster who wants to go fishing.  :spin:

I got that last week by realizing how badly I misspelled something.

On the other hand, it means there's all sorts of new words (or intentionally-misspelled apps/websites) to be created!

vdeane

Quote from: kkt on March 06, 2022, 12:52:56 AM

They could certainly audit his returns, especially since his real name is known.  Plus this forum is public (aside from a few boards like Fictional Highways), so they wouldn't even need to be a member... just happen to stumble on the wrong posts when browsing the internet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on March 06, 2022, 02:30:26 AM
THANK you... not quite relevant, but i'm a delivery driver, and for me, that means the same as a server, just the kitchen is a little further from your table.

I'm not just 'a' pizza guy, I'm "the" pizza guy. If I deliver to you, you will remember the brand, and me, in a good way.

And another thing that annoys me:  when we order delivery using an app, and it makes us enter in the tip amount ahead of time.  The driver hasn't even served me yet, so how can I possibly know if his service was good or bad?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: kphoger on March 07, 2022, 09:49:14 AM

And another thing that annoys me:  when we order delivery using an app, and it makes us enter in the tip amount ahead of time.  The driver hasn't even served me yet, so how can I possibly know if his service was good or bad?

if you're orderring from a place that has its own delivery mechanism, don't use an app. call them directly. the apps provide no service if the restaurant already has delivery. when a doordash/whatever order comes to my store, somebody grabs the ticket, enters it into our own POS, and we deliver it. doordash charged you 4.99 for the privilege of ordering online, even though we have our own website for that, or god forbid, the phone. for other places it makes sense. for where i work, you can fill in a 'pre-tip' when you order, some base amount that makes sense to you, like a minimum. if the service was particularly good (as it always is with me), there's a space to add more if you want.
clinched:

abefroman329

It's useless when you're using a third-party app where the delivery route is probably set by a computer, but try ordering, say, Domino's on the website or the app, leave a 20% pre-tax tip, and see how many minutes get shaved off the estimated delivery time.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 07, 2022, 12:04:41 PM

It's useless when you're using a third-party app where the delivery route is probably set by a computer, but try ordering, say, Domino's on the website or the app, leave a 20% pre-tax tip, and see how many minutes get shaved off the estimated delivery time.

I don't personally roll like that, you get the same service from me whether you tip or not. can't say there aren't those who do, but i'm a little older than most of my co-workers. i've lived in this area my whole life and for the rare address i can't find, i google it to get an idea of where it is, then set my own route. i can usually beat google.
clinched:

jeffandnicole

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 07, 2022, 12:04:41 PM

Seems like that could greatly vary if you order a single pizza, or $50 meal.

Scott5114

If you're talking about something like Doordash, my understanding is that tipping works slightly different there, to the point that I'd argue that "tip" is the wrong word to describe it. I know there are some people here who deliver through Doordash, so maybe they can correct me if I'm wrong.

What you're actually paying is functionally a commission to the driver. When a Doordash driver is shown the opportunity to do a delivery, they are shown the amount of money they will make by accepting it. This amount is the amount Doordash is paying + the tip. If the driver doesn't think the amount shown is worth it, they can decline the offer and instead wait for an offer that is more lucrative. (There is no penalty for doing this, so long as they don't accept an order and quit out of it before delivery.)

Of course, if you tip less than a dollar for a delivery all the way across town, you're going to wait longer, because all of the drivers are going to see that as a bad use of their time, so you're going to get rejected over and over. If you tip $20 for a delivery that's two blocks, the drivers will fall all over themselves to accept it.

Thus, the amount you're tipping is really "this is how much I am willing to pay for this delivery", and thus the word "tip" is a misnomer. Each driver is an independent contractor who has the choice to service whichever orders will make them the most money. So when you "tip" on that app you're not showing gratuity at all. What you're really doing is competing with other customers for a share of a limited number of delivery drivers.

Ain't capitalism fun?

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 07, 2022, 04:32:36 PM

If you're talking about something like Doordash, my understanding is that tipping works slightly different there, to the point that I'd argue that "tip" is the wrong word to describe it. I know there are some people here who deliver through Doordash, so maybe they can correct me if I'm wrong.

What you're actually paying is functionally a commission to the driver. When a Doordash driver is shown the opportunity to do a delivery, they are shown the amount of money they will make by accepting it. This amount is the amount Doordash is paying + the tip. If the driver doesn't think the amount shown is worth it, they can decline the offer and instead wait for an offer that is more lucrative. (There is no penalty for doing this, so long as they don't accept an order and quit out of it before delivery.)

Of course, if you tip less than a dollar for a delivery all the way across town, you're going to wait longer, because all of the drivers are going to see that as a bad use of their time, so you're going to get rejected over and over. If you tip $20 for a delivery that's two blocks, the drivers will fall all over themselves to accept it.

Thus, the amount you're tipping is really "this is how much I am willing to pay for this delivery", and thus the word "tip" is a misnomer. Each driver is an independent contractor who has the choice to service whichever orders will make them the most money. So when you "tip" on that app you're not showing gratuity at all. What you're really doing is competing with other customers for a share of a limited number of delivery drivers.

Ain't capitalism fun?

Thank you for explaining that.  I haven't used Doordash, but it's nice to know what to expect in case I should have to isolate myself at home and then run out of milk, etc.

Bruce

DoorDash/Uber/Grubhub only pay $2.50 to $3 for most deliveries. The rest has to be covered by "tips" or locality-specific bonuses.

I use "tip" in quotations because it's more similar to a bidding system. You are bidding to be accepted by the driver against other people ordering on the platform. We see a good portion of the total payout (base pay + tip) on most orders and determine whether it's worth 20-40 minutes of our time. Thus, it's not a good idea to leave a low tip and expect speedy service, even if you plan on making up the difference in cash.

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on March 07, 2022, 05:24:29 PM
I haven't used Doordash, but it's nice to know what to expect in case I should have to isolate myself at home and then run out of milk, etc.

We had never used such a service before March 2020, when we returned from Mexico and found ourselves in an unexpected 14-day home quarantine.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

J N Winkler

Just to add my thanks to Scott for explaining the bidding aspect of the Uber/DoorDash/GrubHub business model--it sounds like a thoroughly bad idea and I do not regret picking up my own takeaway.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.