News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 26, 2023, 08:03:15 PM
I probably wouldn't watch a movie with product placement in it if I knew that ahead of time. (Given that can mean anything from a barely-noticeable "all of the cars in the show happen to be Fords" all the way up to "this entire story is an infomercial for Google".)

Back in the 1960s and 1970s, many television shows were provided free cars courtesy of the automakers. There would be a line in the credits that say something like "Automobiles provided by Chrysler Corporation". That's why Andy Griffith always drove a new Ford patrol car. You can tell what season the episode you are watching by the year of Andy's car.

Here's a screenshot from the credits of The Andy Griffith Show with the mention of Ford Motor Company.

bugo

I've posted this picture here before, but this is the kind of picture that you can take when the tornado sirens start screaming and you run outside to look at the sky. It is true that Oklahomans do go outside to look at the sky during severe weather events, especially if the sirens are going off. Every time I run outside when the sirens go off, there's always somebody else out there doing the same thing.

US 89

As a meteorologist, I find there are few things more enjoyable than watching the approach of a severe thunderstorm.

Whenever we get a big storm, I always go up to the roof of my apartment complex's parking deck to watch it roll in. Usually I'm the only one up there, but on a couple occasions I've seen someone park their car up there and look at me like I've gone insane.

tchafe1978

Quote from: vdeane on August 02, 2023, 12:38:28 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on August 02, 2023, 09:20:47 AM
Self-Service checkouts which have the all of the equipment to accept CASH and credit in place....

...But the stores have some or all of the self serve registers as CREDIT/DEBIT only...

...and have limited to no signage stating as such.

I went to a smaller grocery store yesterday to purchase a few things.  They had 4 self-serve checkouts with cash accepting/dispensing attachments.  I scanned my items, and selected PAY NOW, only to find out it (and the other 3) was not accepting any cash.

The only indication as such was a tiny sign before the registers saying CREDIT/DEBIT ONLY.   Aargh!!

Wow.  Around here, the stores usually have a prompt notifying you and asking if you want to continue before you even start scanning.

It's usually not intentional when the self-checks are set to either cash only or card only. It's usually due to a malfuntction with the machine. And there are usually signs posted that state the condition, as well as prompts on the screen. People just either don't see those signs, or ignore them, and then get mad at the cashiers when they weren't paying attention.

US 89

Quote from: tchafe1978 on August 02, 2023, 11:44:42 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 02, 2023, 12:38:28 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on August 02, 2023, 09:20:47 AM
Self-Service checkouts which have the all of the equipment to accept CASH and credit in place....

...But the stores have some or all of the self serve registers as CREDIT/DEBIT only...

...and have limited to no signage stating as such.

I went to a smaller grocery store yesterday to purchase a few things.  They had 4 self-serve checkouts with cash accepting/dispensing attachments.  I scanned my items, and selected PAY NOW, only to find out it (and the other 3) was not accepting any cash.

The only indication as such was a tiny sign before the registers saying CREDIT/DEBIT ONLY.   Aargh!!

Wow.  Around here, the stores usually have a prompt notifying you and asking if you want to continue before you even start scanning.

It's usually not intentional when the self-checks are set to either cash only or card only. It's usually due to a malfuntction with the machine. And there are usually signs posted that state the condition, as well as prompts on the screen. People just either don't see those signs, or ignore them, and then get mad at the cashiers when they weren't paying attention.

Not around here. Over half of the self checkout stations I encounter around Tallahassee are card only permanently with non-temporary signage indicating such.

Scott5114

People in a grocery store aisle not actually buying anything, but instead looking at their phone, list, items in their cart, children, etc. while standing right in front of the item I want.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Big John

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 03, 2023, 02:55:15 AM
People in a grocery store aisle not actually buying anything, but instead looking at their phone, list, items in their cart, children, etc. while standing right in front of the item I want.
or standing in the middle of the aisle, making it impossible to pass them.

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 03, 2023, 02:55:15 AM

I have the grocery list on my phone in the Wegmans app (chief reason: it organizes the list by what aisle each item's in and I tap to check them off as I go). But I don't dawdle at the store. The only time I stop to look at the list is when I think I'm done, at which point I scroll through to make sure I got everything because that app no longer gives you a notification that you checked off all the items.

The people who bug me are the ones who seemingly bring the whole family–both parents, three kids who won't fit in the cart, and they manage to get in the way seemingly everywhere you go in the store. The only time those people are an advantage to have around is when an item is on the bottom shelf and is pushed back (so you can ask one of the little kids to get it for you rather than squatting down on the floor).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

I mean, I get that there's times you might need to look at your phone, list, items in cart, children, etc. while you're at the store. But that's when you need to move out to some out-of-the-way area (I like to use the area in front of a closed checkout line or one of the "crossovers" in "divided highway" type aisles when I need to do this) so you don't obstruct anyone else.

Seconded the Whole Family Outing people as being rather obnoxious. For one thing it tends to make the obstruction problem worse (because many times there's a discussion going on about whether to get Mrs. Butterworth's or Hungry Jack that makes Presidential debates look like tiddlywinks) AND you can't get around them in the aisle as easily. I'm not really comfortable talking to someone else's kids, either, so I don't even get the benefit of having them fetch me stuff.

Bruce

Weekend Costco is a chore to deal with. Giant groups (since everyone without a membership needs to tag along), people not moving from the sample zones at pinch points, long queues to checkout and receipt-check... I just don't bother for 3 days a week.

roadman65

Costco to me always had people moving down the aisles slowly just browsing and no room to pass them.

Then the food samples annoy me some as I would be the second person in line when the attendant puts out a new batch only for the person in front of me to grab them all to feed their family.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DTComposer

Road-related!:

Databases that are set to automatically capitalize the first *letter* of each word in an address, so that ordinals on numbered streets end up as "32Nd Street."

Similarly, use of all caps (intentional or not) on street name suffixes - Warren FWY, College AVE, etc. This happens on signage as well as in written documents.

Big John

^^ In Wisconsin, County Hwy Ee

Scott5114

Quote from: DTComposer on August 03, 2023, 06:07:14 PM
Road-related!:

Databases that are set to automatically capitalize the first *letter* of each word in an address, so that ordinals on numbered streets end up as "32Nd Street."

Yeah, everyone knows that proper capitalization would be "#2nd Street."

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 03, 2023, 07:20:47 PM
Road-related!:

It irritated me when Google Maps used to automatically abbreviate cardinal directions (South Sepulveda Blvd. becomes S. Sepulveda Blvd.).  All well and good until a cardinal direction is part of the street name.  I remember two examples here in Austin, South Bay Lane and West Gate Boulevard became S. Bay Lane and W. Gate Boulevard respectively.  For West Gate, it's a north-south road, and if it crossed the river there would be a N. West Gate Boulevard and a S. West Gate Boulevard.  Added fun to Far West Boulevard became Far W. Boulevard. 

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 03, 2023, 07:20:47 PM
Road-related!:

No, it would obviously be "DC32nd Street".

ZLoth

The fact that I keep getting notification from my color duplex laser printer letting me know that I need to replace the Black toner. Should I mention that it's at 10%, and this is a home office environment with emphasis on home? And, with the volume of printing that I don't do, I have to put up with that warning for a few more months until it is really, actually low (1-2%) before I will replace the toner. Is there any way I can adjust this? No.

And, no, I have never owned nor will ever own a inkjet printer.... color or black and white.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like a protest sign?

kkt

Reminds me of the printer at my work... a small workplace with a relatively light duty printer, but it was connected to the internet and every time the printer decided it was low on toner it would order more.  Except it would order new toner every week and they'd magically appear along with an invoice.  We had four boxes of toner, I think, while we were still on the toner that was in the printer.

1995hoo

I try to stretch the toner cartridge as far as possible at home. I'll pull it out, shake it around, etc. to string it out. Only once pages start to have areas too faint to read will I finally replace it. I probably print more than average home users because I work from home.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: US 89 on August 02, 2023, 10:21:16 PM
As a meteorologist, I find there are few things more enjoyable than watching the approach of a severe thunderstorm.

Whenever we get a big storm, I always go up to the roof of my apartment complex's parking deck to watch it roll in. Usually I'm the only one up there, but on a couple occasions I've seen someone park their car up there and look at me like I've gone insane.

Not in your profession, but I enjoy similar things. I have access to several mountaintop cameras in this area (on various communication towers), and LOVE watching this stuff move in.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

roadman65

When you’re sitting at the bar, the person next to you ( a female) starts talking to you. She talks about herself to great lengths to me and makes it known that other people in her circles dislike her. So she then reassures me that she thinks of herself as a good person and not believe her acquaintances that I haven’t even met nor will I ever meet.

That is a big turn off. Why even bother to talk about what she thinks others think of her and assure me of all people that your a good person?

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on August 07, 2023, 12:40:53 AM
When you're sitting at the bar, the person next to you ( a female) starts talking to you. She talks about herself to great lengths to me and makes it known that other people in her circles dislike her. So she then reassures me that she thinks of herself as a good person and not believe her acquaintances that I haven't even met nor will I ever meet.

That is a big turn off. Why even bother to talk about what she thinks others think of her and assure me of all people that your a good person?

... does this happen to you a lot?

roadman65

No just using an analogy mainly. It happened a couple times a while ago and once at a 9-11:service at church.  It occasionally happened at a local place in Lakeland where I live.

After meeting all kinds here, the bars you'll meet much worse when they have some alcohol within them

Just that I find it annoying when a person has to tell you that they're disliked.  Why not be quiet and let me see who you are without alerting me of what others think of you.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Lol, I appreciate the follow-up.

Your anecdote is hilariously quite similar to the "waiting for Mary" scene from Dumb and Dumber:

https://youtu.be/YHDhls0kJYM

roadman65

The girl is Victoria Rowell from Diagnosis Murder. Interesting scene.

Yes, that reminds me of what to expect if you look for a woman on computer dating or social single meets. So I'm told as I've been warned to stay away from those by coworker's at a job I worked at when I was younger.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.