Rainbows everywhere

Started by Alps, August 11, 2019, 01:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

https://phys.org/news/2019-08-retroreflective-material-nighttime-color-changing-road.amp

The MUTCD requires devices to appear the same color by day and night. I don't see this technology changing that rule.

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on August 11, 2019, 01:43:25 PM
https://phys.org/news/2019-08-retroreflective-material-nighttime-color-changing-road.amp

The MUTCD requires devices to appear the same color by day and night. I don't see this technology changing that rule.

Depending on the angle of the prevailing light, or of the viewer's eyes, sometimes existing sheeting will briefly reflect a rainbow spectrum. I've noticed this mostly in white and yellow sheeting.

Weren't some of the old night speed limit signs designed to reflect differently in daytime (natural light) or nighttime (artificial light from headlights) conditions?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

↓  Here you go, HB.  Everything is on this forum somewhere!   :D  ↓

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 05, 2015, 08:47:21 PM

Quote from: briantroutman on April 05, 2015, 04:17:24 PM

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on April 04, 2015, 07:37:14 PM
They used the signs with the first digit having a non-reflective daytime number and a retroreflective nighttime number behind it, so your headlights would reflect the nighttime speed.

Does anyone have photos of one of these units? I remember reading in the 1971 MUTCD:

Quote from: 1971 MUTCD...reflectorization of the nighttime speed superimposed over the unreflectorized numerals of the daytime speed, to permit only the nighttime speed to become legible in the beam of motor-vehicle headlamps at night.

It seems to me that this setup would be troublesome at twilight and under odd conditions where a strong light source is directly behind the motorist, causing both sets of numerals to be visible.

I have no photos, unfortunately, although I do have sign design sheets:

Under twilight and extreme frontal lighting there might be problems with the night limit "ghosting" under the day limit, but I don't know that these would have been more serious than the shortcomings of other reflectorization practices then in use, such as rendering black "EXIT ONLY" against yellow on lane-drop signs in button copy.  I strongly suspect it was the NMSL rather than reflectorization voodoo that killed these day/night signs.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: hbelkins on August 11, 2019, 02:30:54 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 11, 2019, 01:43:25 PM

Depending on the angle of the prevailing light, or of the viewer's eyes, sometimes existing sheeting will briefly reflect a rainbow spectrum. I've noticed this mostly in white and yellow sheeting.

And after I posted this, I saw someone's post on Facebook that they had acquired an AZ 95 marker. The photo showed a bit of rainbow reflection. Maybe others here saw that too.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

renegade

Quote from: kphoger on August 14, 2019, 01:54:29 PM
↓  Here you go, HB.  Everything is on this forum somewhere!   :D  ↓

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 05, 2015, 08:47:21 PM

Quote from: briantroutman on April 05, 2015, 04:17:24 PM

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on April 04, 2015, 07:37:14 PM
They used the signs with the first digit having a non-reflective daytime number and a retroreflective nighttime number behind it, so your headlights would reflect the nighttime speed.

Does anyone have photos of one of these units? I remember reading in the 1971 MUTCD:

Quote from: 1971 MUTCD...reflectorization of the nighttime speed superimposed over the unreflectorized numerals of the daytime speed, to permit only the nighttime speed to become legible in the beam of motor-vehicle headlamps at night.

It seems to me that this setup would be troublesome at twilight and under odd conditions where a strong light source is directly behind the motorist, causing both sets of numerals to be visible.

I have no photos, unfortunately, although I do have sign design sheets:

Under twilight and extreme frontal lighting there might be problems with the night limit "ghosting" under the day limit, but I don't know that these would have been more serious than the shortcomings of other reflectorization practices then in use, such as rendering black "EXIT ONLY" against yellow on lane-drop signs in button copy.  I strongly suspect it was the NMSL rather than reflectorization voodoo that killed these day/night signs.
We used to have those in Michigan.  I do not have photos of any, however.  They went away as part of the NMSL.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.