Regional Boards > Northeast

Commodore Barry vs Delaware Memorial Bridge: shunpiking?

(1/5) > >>

yakra:
On a trip from Newark DE to Maine in 2006, my father chose to use the Commodore Barry over the Delaware Memorial Bridge; I believe the rationale was shunpiking. Not being familiar with how tolls work in the area, I just kinda shrugged and said Sure Whatever.
Apparently both bridges have one-way (the same way) tolls, so that doesn't make much sense, so maybe this is just sticking with a habit formed decades before.
Phillyroads.com doesn't say so directly, but implies NB/EB tolls were in place before 1992. So this still doesn't make much sense, unless the Barry was cheaper.

Was there ever a time when, from a penny pinching perspective, it made more sense to use the Commodore Barry than the Delaware Memorial Bridge?

storm2k:
Well, Wikipedia seems to think that one-way tolling only went into effect in 1992, so it's very possible. I'm pretty sure that DRPA had gone to one way tolling a good long while before that (The CommBarry opened in 1974 and you can tell from the GSV that the toll plaza originally extended across both directions of roadway) so it would be toll free to return to NJ with the trade of some time to get thru Wilmington, over the CBB into NJ and onto the Turnpike or 295 to head northward.

jeffandnicole:
From the Philly area and South, all Delaware River bridges with the DRPA, BCBC and DRBA went to one way tolling on 10/1/92, to prevent the situation you mentioned. Going into NJ, there was never an advantage using one over another in regards to completely avoiding a toll. http://www.drpa.org/about/history.html

Going into PA or DE, the DRPA bridges always had a higher fare, or a fare same as the Del Mem Bridge. Today, the toll on the DRPA bridges is $5, DRBA is $5 Cash/$4.75 EZ Pass, and BCBC is $4 Cash/$3 EZ Pass.  In 1992, the DRPA fare was $2 (was 90 cents when the toll was a two way toll); I don't recall the exact toll on the Del. Mem. Bridge.

Ted$8roadFan:
Tolls aside, is there another advantage for using Commodore Barry over the Delaware Memorial? That stretch of 95 is not the best.

ekt8750:

--- Quote from: yakra on January 23, 2022, 01:38:55 AM ---On a trip from Newark DE to Maine in 2006, my father chose to use the Commodore Barry over the Delaware Memorial Bridge; I believe the rationale was shunpiking. Not being familiar with how tolls work in the area, I just kinda shrugged and said Sure Whatever.
Apparently both bridges have one-way (the same way) tolls, so that doesn't make much sense, so maybe this is just sticking with a habit formed decades before.
Phillyroads.com doesn't say so directly, but implies NB/EB tolls were in place before 1992. So this still doesn't make much sense, unless the Barry was cheaper.

Was there ever a time when, from a penny pinching perspective, it made more sense to use the Commodore Barry than the Delaware Memorial Bridge?

--- End quote ---

Back then the Delaware Memorial was a couple dollars cheaper than the Commodore ($3 vs $5 respectively) so I'm not sure why he'd choose the Commodore (I assume this was coming back from Maine).

--- Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 23, 2022, 01:15:09 PM ---Tolls aside, is there another advantage for using Commodore Barry over the Delaware Memorial? That stretch of 95 is not the best.

--- End quote ---

Nope lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version