News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

planxtymcgillicuddy

For me, it bugs me that Hershey's chocolate and Hershey's ice cream are run by two completely different companies, especially with both being in such close proximity to each other.
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

Tonytone

When drivers sit in two lanes taking up space that could have been used, by 4 cars.

Its worse then a 1950's garage filled with junk

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Max Rockatansky

I'm pretty introverted in day to day life which translates into a lot of annoyances/pet-peeves:

Any of the following at the gym:

-  Sitting on weight benches and texting on the phone.
-  Stopping to talk to everyone and calling them "hey bro."
-  No racking weights or putting them in the wrong place.
-  Clanking machines.
-  "Popular" music stations way too loud on the overhead.

Usually I go lift at least four times a week so stuff tends to grind on the nerves after twenty years.

With work:

-  Small talk and/or water cooler talk.
-  Complaining about minor issues like not getting along 100% with co-workers or some bizarre far fetched safety issue.
-  Meetings, especially when people feel the need to expound on something that pertains only to them for a lengthy amount of time.
-  Conference calls, I can't understand why group emails or one-on-one calls aren't sufficient?

General life

-  I'm just not a fan of small talk.  I don't feel the need to talk constantly with people I know just as with employees and/or co-workers.
-  Staying too late at functions with friends or family gatherings.
-  Long lines at the store, places to eat, movies or really anything else.

kurumi

People who use @here on Slack

The noisy, whiny, frenetic way TunnelBlick deals with what should be a simple, invisible task

Songs with the I - V - vi - IV chord progression

BGSes in the Goiden State

1950's garages filled with junk
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman

At a pair of doors, when people will wait for someone leaving the building to open the exit door and sneak through there instead of opening the entrance door themselves.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Plastic food packages that are impossible to open without ripping.
People who don't put the seat belt all the way into the slot before getting out of the car.
Christmas music before Thanksgiving.
Resonant snare buzz.
The phrase "it is what it is".
Drivers stopping within the crosswalk (or even past the stop bar at all) at a red light.
Loud cell phone ringtones.
People who don't flush the urinal.
Crunchy things in egg salad or deviled eggs.
The phrase "I know, right".
Zippers that tend to get fabric stuck in them.
Toilet paper that's too soft to successfully do its job.
Vitamins A and D not being added to low-fat milk.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

gonealookin

At the grocery store, when the old lady in front of me in line (it's always an old lady) has a bill of $9.48, and after peeling the five and four ones off her stack, goes digging through her coin purse until she finds exactly 48 cents.

The word "trickeration" used by football announcers.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2019, 12:15:36 PM
Too true. For me, it's the fact that so many new interstates such as I-22, I-2, and I-41 are completely redundant with U.S. routes.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

LM117

Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2019, 12:15:36 PMChristmas music before Thanksgiving.

Same, and I'll take it a step further and say that it's ridiculous to start selling Christmas items in early September before the first day of Fall even hits. Same with Halloween items being put out the last week of July, Valentine's items during the last couple weeks of December, and Easter items before Valentine's Day.

QuoteToilet paper that's too soft to successfully do its job.

My gripe with that is that they tend to clog toilets. That's why I prefer either Angel Soft or the dollar store brands.

Quote from: gonealookin on November 27, 2019, 12:22:08 PM
At the grocery store, when the old lady in front of me in line (it's always an old lady) has a bill of $9.48, and after peeling the five and four ones off her stack, goes digging through her coin purse until she finds exactly 48 cents.

My mother is the same damn way (though she's only 51). It pisses me off when she does it, especially when there's a long line behind us. She hates breaking up dollar bills.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

webny99

People who don't put the seat belt all the way into the slot before getting out of the car.

Aren't most seat belts designed to do that automatically these days?

Flint1979

Slow people getting in my way
A highway such as I-94 and US-23 only having two lanes on a very busy stretch

Tonytone

Plastic food packages that are impossible to open without ripping.
Resonant snare buzz.
The phrase "it is what it is".
Drivers stopping within the crosswalk (or even past the stop bar at all) at a red light.
Loud cell phone ringtones.
People who don't flush the urinal.
Crunchy things in egg salad or deviled eggs.
The phrase "I know, right".
Zippers that tend to get fabric stuck in them.
Toilet paper that's too soft to successfully do its job.
Vitamins A and D not being added to low-fat milk.
Funny enough I didnt hear any Christmas music in stores or even *looks around* Walmart!  Was this because of the new study that just came out saying Christmas music makes people nervous? Hmmmm interesting.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

DaBigE

• People who wait right in front of the elevator doors, as if there will never be anyone who needs to get off when the elevator arrives at their floor. Then the subset of those who still stand in the way when people are trying to get out of the elevator or try to force their way in before others get out.
  • Drivers who leave a gap that I could easily park a small truck into when waiting for a red light
  • People who can't park between the lines
  • People who choose to struggle opening a standard door (due to stuff they're carrying or other disability) when there is an automatic door a few feet away
  • Double standards between genders...wait, maybe that's more of a major thing
  • People who insist on using speakerphone EVERYWHERE they go.
  • People who whistle while they work in the office
  • The fact that we haven't standardized what side the fuel filler is on and the fact that they even vary between design iterations of the same model car
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

kphoger

Cashiers having to break open a new roll of coins because not enough people pay with exact change.   :awesomeface:

Quote from: webny99 on November 27, 2019, 01:27:18 PM

Aren't most seat belts designed to do that automatically these days?

If the mechanism doesn't work as well as it should, or if the belt is twisted, or if enough of the belt is pulled out such that gravity works against the mechanism–then it won't necessarily go up on its own.  Some people just don't care and leave it all strung out in the seat or–more annoyingly–to get wedged when the door shuts, perhaps even with a bit sticking outside the car.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

–People in my neighborhood who put out their trash on Sunday morning for Monday pickup instead of waiting until after sunset. Also, people who put their trash out when it's a holiday with no trash pickup (like Thanksgiving) and then leave it out there for four days as if that'll get the garbage men to come pick it up. This is all the more annoying when it's windy.

–People who stand on the left on the Metro escalator and get mad when you say "Excuse me, please"  when you want to get past because you know your train is coming. (It seems to me saying "excuse me, please"  is polite because a rude person would shove past.)

–This one no doubt comes from having a mother who taught English: Seeing a date written midsentence in the usual American order without a comma after the year. Proper punctuation calls for commas both before and after the year: "The Super Bowl will be played on February 2, 2020, in Miami Gardens, Florida."  A lot of people omit the second comma for some reason. (The same rule would apply following the state name if the sentence continued.) The year is in the nature of an appositive in that it tells you which February 2 it is–or, put differently, the sentence would be fine, though less specific, without the year.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 27, 2019, 02:56:12 PM
–People in my neighborhood who put out their trash on Sunday morning for Monday pickup instead of waiting until after sunset. Also, people who put their trash out when it's a holiday with no trash pickup (like Thanksgiving) and then leave it out there for four days as if that'll get the garbage men to come pick it up. This is all the more annoying when it's windy.

I have no idea what my trash collection company's holidays are.  So I put my trash out in case they work on a day I might assume they'd be off.  If they don't come by because apparently they weren't working that day, then I also don't know what day they will be coming to pick it up.  So I keep it out there until they do.  It beats having two week's worth of trash in the can.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Standing left on a Metro escalator was a biggie when I commuted from Greenbelt to Dupont Circle.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2019, 03:03:43 PM

I have no idea what my trash collection company's holidays are.  So I put my trash out in case they work on a day I might assume they'd be off.  If they don't come by because apparently they weren't working that day, then I also don't know what day they will be coming to pick it up.  So I keep it out there until they do.  It beats having two week's worth of trash in the can.

Ours is simple: If trash day falls on July 4, Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year's, the pickup is cancelled. The year before last this one guy put his trash out for New Year's even though there was no pickup and left it there all week despite howling winds. It kept blowing into our yard, so I picked it all up and dumped it all on his front stoop, which is sheltered and out of the wind. Damn annoying. Just because the trash is out for pickup doesn't mean it's no longer your trash and no longer your responsibility (obviously "your"  not meaning kphoger).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Beltway

People who say, for example, "Two thousand and nineteen" instead of "Twenty nineteen."

The "Two thousand and ... " should be for 1 thru 9, not for 10 and above. 

Mercy, we are 19 years into this century and I still frequently hear this!

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 27, 2019, 03:26:05 PM

Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2019, 03:03:43 PM

Ours is simple: If trash day falls on July 4, Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year's, the pickup is cancelled. The year before last this one guy put his trash out for New Year's even though there was no pickup and left it there all week despite howling winds. It kept blowing into our yard, so I picked it all up and dumped it all on his front stoop, which is sheltered and out of the wind. Damn annoying. Just because the trash is out for pickup doesn't mean it's no longer your trash and no longer your responsibility (obviously "your"  not meaning kphoger).

meh.  I still don't know what days my trash company has off, don't know how I would find out, and frankly don't intend to.
Male pronouns, please.

wxfree

Quote from: Beltway on November 27, 2019, 03:31:32 PM
People who say, for example, "Two thousand and nineteen" instead of "Twenty nineteen."

The "Two thousand and ... " should be for 1 thru 9, not for 10 and above. 

I thought it would be twenty-ten that changed that, but it didn't.  We get one more chance, in twenty-twenty, and I'm still hopeful because that's also a term that's been in use historically so people are accustomed to saying it.  If it doesn't change next year, we'll be locked into "two thousand exty ex" for the rest of the century.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

kphoger

Quote from: wxfree on November 27, 2019, 03:43:26 PM
If it doesn't change next year, we'll be locked into "two thousand exty ex" for the rest of the century.

I don't think that's how language works.
Male pronouns, please.

Beltway

Quote from: wxfree on November 27, 2019, 03:43:26 PM
Quote from: Beltway on November 27, 2019, 03:31:32 PM
The "Two thousand and … " should be for 1 thru 9, not for 10 and above. 
I thought it would be twenty-ten that changed that, but it didn't.  We get one more chance, in twenty-twenty, and I'm still hopeful because that's also a term that's been in use historically so people are accustomed to saying it.  If it doesn't change next year, we'll be locked into "two thousand exty ex" for the rest of the century.

"Two thousand and ninety nine."
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

CNGL-Leudimin

People that don't use turn signals. The main reason I almost never obey a certain traffic signal near me.

Certain American customs that bother me are too major for this thread.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 27, 2019, 04:10:35 PM
Certain American customs that bother me are too major for this thread.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, huh?
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.