News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Bill would match N.Y. highway exits with mile numbers

Started by mapman1071, June 14, 2012, 12:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

Quote from: Janko Dialnice on August 22, 2013, 09:49:40 AM
NH should be quite easy to convert.
I-93, I-95 and the Spaulding need to be completely renumbered, but that should not be that difficult to do.

I-95: Exit 1 in Seabrook could remain the same. Exit 2 in Hampton would probably become Exit 5. I think Exit 7 in Portsmouth would become Exit 16. I don't remember the mile posts for Exits 3 to 6.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

machias

One of the things that NYSDOT always brings up with distance based numbering is the closely spaced exits in the New York Metro area.  I came up with a hybrid numbering scheme, where basically the five boroughs and Long Island would keep their exit numbering, I-87 would keep its exit numbers and the Thruway would continue sequential numbering to the point where the exit number is lower than new I-87 mileposts continuing the Deegan's distance along the Thruway (probably at the western end of the Tappan Zee Bridge), where the exit numbers would then jump to distance based numbering. Everything outside of the five boroughs and Long Island would get renumbered to distance based, where it makes much more sense upstate than it does downstate.

hbelkins

Closely-spaced exits are not a problem in any other city. Cincinnati and Kansas City come quickly to mind. And Cumberland, Md., too.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Garden State Parkway is a hybrid, particularly through Union and Essex Counties...NYSDOT (or NYCDOT as the case may be) could do something similar to accommodate the closely spaced exits downstate.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on August 22, 2013, 10:06:00 PM
Closely-spaced exits are not a problem in any other city. Cincinnati and Kansas City come quickly to mind. And Cumberland, Md., too.

Ditto with Chicago, especially the rapid-fire exit/entrance section along the Kennedy (I-90/94) from Exit 51 A through the Circle Exits 51 H-I.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

empirestate

Quote from: Brandon on August 23, 2013, 11:44:50 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 22, 2013, 10:06:00 PM

Ditto with Chicago, especially the rapid-fire exit/entrance section along the Kennedy (I-90/94) from Exit 51 A through the Circle Exits 51 H-I.

If we were only concerning ourselves with things that are a problem, we wouldn't be changing exit numbers at all.

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 22, 2013, 12:04:52 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on August 20, 2013, 08:49:17 PM
Delaware hasn't converted either but that's easy to miss because all three interstates are short and have a decent interchange frequency. I-95 also fools you because there is no exit 2,
If memory serves, there was plans for an Exit 2 interchange with a proposed but unbuilt highway but it never materialized.
Something something US 301?

EDIT: http://www.phillyroads.com/roads/de-turnpike/ <-- "However, EXIT 2, which was to have been used for the proposed Pike Creek Freeway (US 301), never was constructed."

froggie

QuoteIf we were only concerning ourselves with things that are a problem, we wouldn't be changing exit numbers at all.

Something which we know you disagree with...but it could be argued that the sequential numbering system itself is a problem.

Alex

Quote from: Steve on August 24, 2013, 12:43:03 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 22, 2013, 12:04:52 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on August 20, 2013, 08:49:17 PM
Delaware hasn't converted either but that's easy to miss because all three interstates are short and have a decent interchange frequency. I-95 also fools you because there is no exit 2,
If memory serves, there was plans for an Exit 2 interchange with a proposed but unbuilt highway but it never materialized.
Something something US 301?

EDIT: http://www.phillyroads.com/roads/de-turnpike/ <-- "However, EXIT 2, which was to have been used for the proposed Pike Creek Freeway (US 301), never was constructed."

The Pike Creek Freeway, which might have extended the US 301 (Ridge Route) freeway from Middletown:

A scan from the New Castle County 2010 Comprehensive Plan (plan adopted 12/88, map prepared 11/89).

machias

I agree that other states handle closely spaced exits just fine and I don't agree with NYSDOT's assessment that the entire state can't be changed because of the five boroughs and Long Island, but the fact of the matter is, that's their thinking and that's why I suggested the "hybrid" approach.

Looking at some of the 3dis upstate, I wouldn't bother renumbering Interstate 190 and 990, as they're pretty close to their mileposts already and I would rather see NYSDOT direct those funds to numbering the interchanges on US Route 219 and NY Route 33. In fact, I think NYSDOT should phase in distance based numbering by numbering interchanges that are currently unnumbered (33, 219, NY Route 49, NY Route 400, NY Route 104 in the Rochester area) and then renumber the sequentially numbered interchanges afterwards.

vdeane

I-990 doesn't even need to change any numbers.  I measured it out, and the only number that isn't exact with it's mile-based counterpart is the stub ending at exit 5 (which would be 6, but realistically probably should be unnumbered).  I-590/NY 590 is within 1 on every single exit as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

amroad17

I-690 should not have its exits re-numbered as there are 17 exits within the 14 miles (not counting NY 690).  However, since NYSDOT is now treating I-690/NY 690 as one entity, milepost exits would be needed.  The downtown Syracuse exits (10, 11, 12) would have to be numbered 14 A-B-C, I-81, exit 15, and Townsend St., exit 16.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

machias

Quote from: amroad17 on August 25, 2013, 06:24:47 PM
I-690 should not have its exits re-numbered as there are 17 exits within the 14 miles (not counting NY 690).  However, since NYSDOT is now treating I-690/NY 690 as one entity, milepost exits would be needed.  The downtown Syracuse exits (10, 11, 12) would have to be numbered 14 A-B-C, I-81, exit 15, and Townsend St., exit 16.

Interstate 690 has already been renumbered once from it's original configuration when the Thruway interchange was moved west back in '89 or so (I remember Bridge St. being Exit 12 at one time).  Like you said, since I-690 and NY Route 690 are mile posted as one roadway now, they should probably make the exits match the same idea.

vdeane

Quote from: amroad17 on August 25, 2013, 06:24:47 PM
Honestly, I'd drop the separate numbering for current exits 11 and 12.  I'd also number the I-81 interchange.  Note that with the viaduct project (I predict NYSDOT will opt to tear down I-81, but there is no alternative that doesn't involve reconfiguring the I-81 interchange), the exits in the area will be changing anyways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

I was noticing that the exit on I-90 in Albany, has the same exit number as the nearest whole mile marker, too bad that I-90 is not going to have that milepost if and when this takes place LOL!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mtantillo

US 15 now has mileage based exit numbers NB: Exit 6 (formerly Exit 1), Exit 8 (formerly Exit 2), Exit 10 (formerly Exit 3), and Exit 13 (only on some of the signs...others still say Exit 4).

The new I-99 freeway is open in the SB direction through Lindley.  NB still uses the old route, which is still striped as a two lane, two direction road, but is de-facto one way NB. Right now there is no way to get onto the old road south of Presho towards Lindley. Either you stay on the freeway and make a U-turn at PA 49, in which case you are forced off onto the old road, or you take the Presho exit, and take River Road south to Lindley where you can cut back to the old road via Morgan Creek Rd. At the south end, all traffic SB on the old road is forced to turn onto Watson Creek Road. Turning left will get you back to the old road via Lindley Road, where you an enter the freeway via PA 287 and PA 49. 

The entire trip on the old two lane road, I did not pass a single vehicle in the opposite direction on the old road. Many drivers assumed it was now one way north (it is not, you can legally still drive it SB if you can figure out how to get onto it), and were passing illegally over double yellow lines.

Can't wait to try out the new freeway SB on Monday!

empirestate

Quote from: mtantillo on August 31, 2013, 11:46:32 PM
US 15 now has mileage based exit numbers NB: Exit 6 (formerly Exit 1), Exit 8 (formerly Exit 2), Exit 10 (formerly Exit 3), and Exit 13 (only on some of the signs...others still say Exit 4).

The new I-99 freeway is open in the SB direction through Lindley.  NB still uses the old route, which is still striped as a two lane, two direction road, but is de-facto one way NB. Right now there is no way to get onto the old road south of Presho towards Lindley. Either you stay on the freeway and make a U-turn at PA 49, in which case you are forced off onto the old road, or you take the Presho exit, and take River Road south to Lindley where you can cut back to the old road via Morgan Creek Rd. At the south end, all traffic SB on the old road is forced to turn onto Watson Creek Road. Turning left will get you back to the old road via Lindley Road, where you an enter the freeway via PA 287 and PA 49. 

The entire trip on the old two lane road, I did not pass a single vehicle in the opposite direction on the old road. Many drivers assumed it was now one way north (it is not, you can legally still drive it SB if you can figure out how to get onto it), and were passing illegally over double yellow lines.

Can't wait to try out the new freeway SB on Monday!

How did that happen? Pretty sure when I last drove through there, in early June, there were still bridges not even started and much of the ROW only graded!

vdeane

Maybe they did all the southbound bridges first?  At least it's a good sign the road will be done in time for the Corning/Elmira meet I'm planning next year.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on September 01, 2013, 10:41:55 AM
Maybe they did all the southbound bridges first?  At least it's a good sign the road will be done in time for the Corning/Elmira meet I'm planning next year.

Don't think so; all the crossings I spotted either had both directions' bridges underway, or none. My assessment at the time, if I'm remembering correctly, was that the north part of the route could easily be ready by this time, but the south part would be until next year at least. But hey, remember the entire NJ Turnpike was built in two years!

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mtantillo

From a maintenance of traffic perspective, they had to open SB before NB, because they can't have SB traffic crossing over the NB lanes when they are trying to finish them up. They said end of November for the NB lanes. My guess is that once they realized they would need to open one direction at a time, they dumped more resources into the SB side than the NB side. That would explain why the NB lanes are 3 months behind the SB lanes...they have catching up to do! But even with only one direction open, you still get a safety benefit of not having 2-way traffic on a 2 lane road....now US 15 is a divided highway throughout...just that the NB lanes are the old road and may occasionally see a random SB local car.

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

vdeane

And have a different speed limit and access points.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: mtantillo on September 01, 2013, 10:09:29 PM
From a maintenance of traffic perspective, they had to open SB before NB, because they can't have SB traffic crossing over the NB lanes when they are trying to finish them up. They said end of November for the NB lanes. My guess is that once they realized they would need to open one direction at a time, they dumped more resources into the SB side than the NB side. That would explain why the NB lanes are 3 months behind the SB lanes...they have catching up to do! But even with only one direction open, you still get a safety benefit of not having 2-way traffic on a 2 lane road....now US 15 is a divided highway throughout...just that the NB lanes are the old road and may occasionally see a random SB local car.

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

I just put into OSM the new SB alignment.  Also, let me know the speed limit on the new SB lanes so I can update OSM with that info. ;)

mtantillo

Speed limit is 65 once you get past the work zone at the north end.

It is a very nice road, I must say. Also, I misspoke when I said there was no access from the Presho exit to the old road SB. There is, via SB Hovey Road. I assume they will tie Hovey Road into the old US 15 at the end of the project...right now there is a temporary gravel connection from Hovey Road to old US 15 to facilitate that traffic. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.