AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Delaware  (Read 695062 times)

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
Re: Delaware
« Reply #725 on: December 10, 2016, 12:25:37 PM »

RIP to the remaining Delaware 2 cutout. It was replaced by this year. I figured it would have been removed since Wilmington is generally uninterested in signing state routes.

Thankfully, the Delaware 4 cutout is still holding on.

J Route Z

• Last Login: February 27, 2022, 08:51:03 PM
« Reply #726 on: December 23, 2016, 02:44:37 AM »

RIP to the remaining Delaware 2 cutout. It was replaced by this year. I figured it would have been removed since Wilmington is generally uninterested in signing state routes.

How old do those shields date back from?

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #727 on: December 23, 2016, 09:35:55 AM »

How old do those shields date back from?

The DEL cutouts were first used in 1964:
www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=DE19552022&search=896

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #728 on: December 24, 2016, 07:48:43 PM »

The (Wilmington, Del.) News Journal via USAToday: Delaware eyes truckers evading tolls on I-95
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alex4897

• Video Game Developer - Civil Engineering Graduate

• Last Login: Today at 10:22:58 PM
« Reply #729 on: December 25, 2016, 02:33:02 AM »

The (Wilmington, Del.) News Journal via USAToday: Delaware eyes truckers evading tolls on I-95

...from over two years ago.
You posted about it here when the piece was first written.  :sombrero:

Funnily enough, it doesn't look like anyone picked up on the News Journal trying to will a state route into existence the first time around:
...and Old Baltimore Pike, also known as Delaware 281.
👉😎👉

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #730 on: December 25, 2016, 09:02:08 AM »

Funnily enough, it doesn't look like anyone picked up on the News Journal trying to will a state route into existence the first time around:

Nice catch!  And speaking of Maryland 281, a roundabout is being added just west of the Delaware line along it at Muddy Lane. One was also added on Maryland 273 at Appleton Road (work is still ongoing), and another will be added on Maryland 273 at Blue Ball Road.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #731 on: December 25, 2016, 11:35:39 AM »

...from over two years ago.
You posted about it here when the piece was first written.  :sombrero:

Thanks for catching that.  Posted above on my tablet, and admit to not checking the date (it came to me from a different source).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

MASTERNC

• Last Login: Today at 05:10:31 PM
« Reply #732 on: January 03, 2017, 10:12:52 AM »

60 MPH speed limit sighting (first in the state?) on Route 1 around Dover

http://deldot.gov/home/newsroom/release.shtml?id=6373

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #733 on: January 03, 2017, 12:21:30 PM »

Good.  There's been no reason for the ultra-low 50 mph limit on what's otherwise a divided highway.

Alex4897

• Video Game Developer - Civil Engineering Graduate

• Last Login: Today at 10:22:58 PM
« Reply #734 on: January 03, 2017, 06:59:21 PM »

As far as I know, yes, this will be the only current instance of a 60 MPH speed limit in the state.  Glad to see DelDOT realizing that pretty much everyone were comfortable driving at a quicker pace on these roads, especially given as there is really no difference in road quality on either side of the speed limit change.
👉😎👉

ixnay

• Last Login: Today at 10:36:38 PM
« Reply #735 on: January 03, 2017, 08:28:37 PM »

As far as I know, yes, this will be the only current instance of a 60 MPH speed limit in the state.  Glad to see DelDOT realizing that pretty much everyone were comfortable driving at a quicker pace on these roads, especially given as there is really no difference in road quality on either side of the speed limit change.

Everywhere else in DE, it's >60 or <60, not exactly 60.

Geographically that press release translates to the stretch from the Puncheon Run connector (just north of the north gate of Dover AFB, and linking DE 1 to U.S. 13 near Rodney Village) to the south end of the St. Jones River bridge.  With major construction in Little Heaven and South Frederica, and congestion south of there, a speed limit >55 isn't practical south of those wetlands.

ixnay
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 07:46:55 AM by ixnay »
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

ixnay

« Reply #736 on: January 27, 2017, 08:50:21 PM »

The Bayonne Bridge thread on the Northeast board digressed to the topic of the monstrosity that has spanned Indian River Inlet since 2012.  To wit in part:

I like to know why DelDOT used one on DE 1 in Sussex County, DE to replace a Bascule Span Bridge instead of your typical high rise that usually replaces an inlet crossing.

Using Wikipedia, for what that's worth, it sounds like a history of scouring has undone many bridges there.  Thru just 80 years, 5 bridges have been built on this site; with the other 4 either collapsing or in danger of collapsing.  Almost sounds like a long history of bad engineering. 

The current bridge was built, it appears, to withstand changes in the ocean and inlet currents for decades to come.  It certainly does seem overbuilt for what it needs to cross though!

Scouring was indeed a big problem with at least the 1965 Indian River bridge-it underwent frequent underwater checks in its last years after one inspection revealed that the narrow channel was about 90' deep and there wasn't really much holding up the bridge. Large boulders were routinely dumped into the channel. (Fun fact: highest point in Sussex Co is only about 75'.) I'm too lazy to see if Wikipedia covers it adequately, but the first attempt at building the newest bridge was halted after it was noticed that all the fill (and the ground it was sitting on, namely wet sand) had sunk several feet. Supposedly the tidal flow would be enough to generate serious electricity, if anybody could figure out how to keep the turbines from washing away.

The pre-1965 Indian River bridge was indeed a bascule bridge that was undermined in the March 1962 nor'easter and closed well into that summer.

Although he was just an R&D tech, my late stepdad would probably say about the current bridge, "That bridge was 200% overdesigned!"

ixnay

On suggestion of a northeast transplant to Florida, I pasted the above quotes.

I correct myself here.  It wasn't a bascule bridge but a swing bridge that spanned the inlet in 1962, judging from pictures from the aftermath of the storm that I've seen.

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: Today at 03:51:37 PM
« Reply #737 on: February 10, 2017, 04:48:51 PM »

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but what's the deal with DE 1's exit numbers?  They are like 40 off of the mile markers and would need to start somewhere in the Virginia part of Delmarva to make any sense.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

jp the roadgeek

• Last Login: Today at 07:11:46 PM
« Reply #738 on: February 10, 2017, 04:58:16 PM »

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but what's the deal with DE 1's exit numbers?  They are like 40 off of the mile markers and would need to start somewhere in the Virginia part of Delmarva to make any sense.

Distance on DE 1 is measured in km.  Part of an experiment with the metric conversion craze of the 1980's.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

PHLBOS

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 08:18:30 PM
« Reply #739 on: February 10, 2017, 04:59:58 PM »

Distance on DE 1 is measured in km.  Part of an experiment with the metric conversion craze of the 1990s.
FTFY
The freeway portion of DE 1 didn't even exist during the 1980s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: Today at 11:02:06 PM
« Reply #740 on: February 10, 2017, 07:37:24 PM »

Although it is very unlikely to happen, I think DE 1 should have its exits changed from kilometer-based to mile-based. And Interstates 95/295/495 should have mileage-based exits as well.

jp the roadgeek

• Last Login: Today at 07:11:46 PM
« Reply #741 on: February 10, 2017, 08:57:41 PM »

MUTCD is requiring that all states eventually change to that.  So far, only DE, CT, MA, NH, NY, and RI have yet to do so statewide (the NJTP and I-695 in MD being notable exceptions in states which have).  A couple of highways have been converted in CT and NY, and MA and RI have plans, but are dragging their feet.  And yes, DE 1 should go mileage.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #742 on: February 10, 2017, 09:29:58 PM »

The Dover-Smyrna portion of DE 1 was signed entirely with metric units when it opened in December 1993. The units were not well received and they were swapped out, with the exception of the exit numbers. The original DE 1 freeway in New Castle County did have mile based exit numbers. They were changed to match the metric units.

The newest exit on DE 1 is 5 km or so off the actual distance from the Maryland line, while the exit for DE 30 is unnumbered.

KEVIN_224

• Last Login: January 30, 2022, 01:22:55 AM
« Reply #743 on: February 11, 2017, 10:21:04 AM »

As for Connecticut, the only road which was changed to mileage-based exit numbers was I-395. It runs through the eastern third of the state, from Waterford (near New London) up to Thompson at the Massachusetts border. OK...back to the First State now! :)

ekt8750

• Last Login: October 04, 2022, 11:27:52 AM
« Reply #744 on: February 14, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »

The Dover-Smyrna portion of DE 1 was signed entirely with metric units when it opened in December 1993. The units were not well received and they were swapped out, with the exception of the exit numbers. The original DE 1 freeway in New Castle County did have mile based exit numbers. They were changed to match the metric units.

The newest exit on DE 1 is 5 km or so off the actual distance from the Maryland line, while the exit for DE 30 is unnumbered.

My god Delaware sucked at Clearview.

PHLBOS

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 08:18:30 PM
« Reply #745 on: February 14, 2017, 11:55:57 AM »

My god Delaware sucked at Clearview.
At least the exit tab on the above-example doesn't look like it was copied from Maryland signage.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #746 on: March 15, 2017, 01:30:51 PM »

I've seen this before on the Delaware Memorial Bridge: Falling ice from the suspension ropes and tubes case them to shut down the outside lanes.  Thus, 2 lanes are open in either direction.  Unlike some of the past incidents, weekday, winter closures don't tend to jam up traffic all that much, especially since people aren't necessarily slowing down to see construction work or anything.

http://www.nj.com/salem/index.ssf/2017/03/falling_ice_prompts_lane_closures_on_delaware_memo.html#incart_river_home

ixnay

« Reply #747 on: March 17, 2017, 07:11:54 AM »

I've seen this before on the Delaware Memorial Bridge: Falling ice from the suspension ropes and tubes case them to shut down the outside lanes.  Thus, 2 lanes are open in either direction.  Unlike some of the past incidents, weekday, winter closures don't tend to jam up traffic all that much, especially since people aren't necessarily slowing down to see construction work or anything.

http://www.nj.com/salem/index.ssf/2017/03/falling_ice_prompts_lane_closures_on_delaware_memo.html#incart_river_home

Do other suspension, cable stayed, or cantilever bridges have a problem with this?

ixnay

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 11:08:55 PM
« Reply #748 on: March 17, 2017, 08:10:49 AM »

Do other suspension, cable stayed, or cantilever bridges have a problem with this?

ixnay
Yes.  East River bridges in NYC do...but I don't think they shut down outside lanes to deal with it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jemacedo9

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:45:49 PM
« Reply #749 on: March 17, 2017, 09:49:21 AM »

Remember that this wasn't a snow storm though...in DE, it was all sleet and freezing rain...so this was an unusual event. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.