News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Cities Whose Downtowns are Bordered by Freeways Only

Started by Henry, August 15, 2023, 03:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Downtown Los Angeles has all four of its boundaries made up by freeways: US 101 to the north, I-5 (or US 101) to the east, I-10 to the south, and CA 110 to the west.

What other cities have an all-freeway border for their downtown areas?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

I don't know Pittsburgh well enough to know what exactly constitutes downtown, but at least part of it is bordered by 279, 376 and 579.

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Bruce

Portland's Inner Loop (I-405 and I-5) definitely defines and separates downtown from the rest of the city.

Kansas City has their loop, but it seems that some of downtown spills over I-670.

Max Rockatansky

MATraveler128

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

1995hoo

Charlotte with I-277 and I-77, although some nitpickers might argue that it doesn't count because in Charlotte the area is often called "Uptown."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

Quote from: Henry on August 15, 2023, 03:13:19 PM
Downtown Los Angeles has all four of its boundaries made up by freeways: US 101 to the north, I-5 (or US 101) to the east, I-10 to the south, and CA 110 to the west.

What other cities have an all-freeway border for their downtown areas?

Isn't the LA River the east boundary?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Flint1979

Downtown Detroit almost is, it's bordered on three sides by freeways, the other side by the Detroit River.

SkyPesos

Columbus: I-70 to the south, I-71 to the south and east, I-670 to the north and OH 315 to the west.

bassoon1986

Texas' 3 major cities all do:

Houston:
I-10/I-45/I-69

San Antonio:
I-10/I-35/I-37

Dallas:
I-30/I-35E/I-345/Woodall Rogers

Ted$8roadFan

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on August 15, 2023, 05:28:42 PM
Hartford, CT, with I-84 and I-91.

That covers the northern, western, and eastern borders of downtown, but since the connection between the Whitehead Highway and I-84 was never built.....

bing101

Downtown Sacramento I-80, US-50(aka I-305), I-5 and CA-51.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on August 15, 2023, 07:56:48 PM
Downtown Sacramento I-80, US-50(aka I-305), I-5 and CA-51.

Kinda, much of what exists north of CA 160 certainly wouldn't be considered downtown.

roadman65

I was going to point out Houston, but someone beat me to it. :bigass:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

Formerly Rochester, then part of the Inner Loop was removed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 15, 2023, 04:02:22 PM
Philadelphia with I-76, I-95, and I-676

No because Downtown ends at South Philly. Maybe if I-695 were built it would have contained it on the south end.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

Quote from: roadman65 on August 15, 2023, 08:38:58 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 15, 2023, 04:02:22 PM
Philadelphia with I-76, I-95, and I-676

No because Downtown ends at South Philly. Maybe if I-695 were built it would have contained it on the south end.
Correct because South Street is the south end of Center City and the Schuylkill River is the western border not the Schuylkill Expressway. Spring Garden is the northern border and the Delaware River not the Delaware Expressway is the eastern border.

WillWeaverRVA

You could make a case for Richmond, VA's downtown being bordered by I-95, I-64, I-195, and VA 195, but that area includes the Fan and Museum Districts, which aren't considered downtown.

Downtown Portsmouth is bordered by VA 164, I-264, US 58 (which is a freeway while approaching the Midtown Tunnel), and the Elizabeth River.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

KCRoadFan

My city - Kansas City, MO - has the downtown freeway loop - with a bunch of exit-number letter suffixes not seen anywhere else in the country. Aren't we special?

Plutonic Panda

ilpt4u

Chicago gets close, but Lower Wacker Drive and Lake Shore Drive in the Downtown area both aren't quite freeways, not to mention the Draw Bridge on Ida Wells Dr/Congress Parkway

The Nature Boy

RobbieL2415

Rochester, NY, was like this until the eastern portion of the Inner Loop was removed and replaced with a boulevard.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.