News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riiga

noelbotevera

Quote from: kkt on August 07, 2015, 06:38:22 PM
Quote from: theline on August 07, 2015, 05:52:03 PM
Straight from the DUH department:

Is that real?  Or is it photoshopped?
Yep clearly photoshopped. Notice the rust at the pole, and note how the sign looks brand spanking new it looks compared to the pole.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 07, 2015, 06:50:36 PM

Yep clearly photoshopped. Notice the rust at the pole, and note how the sign looks brand spanking new it looks compared to the pole.

It's photoshopped, but not for that reason. New signs on rusty poles are relatively common.

Zoom in, and you can see the blurred edges of the sign. And there's no bolt heads protruding thru the sign, bolting the sign onto the pole.

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 07, 2015, 07:27:38 PM

It's photoshopped, but not for that reason. New signs on rusty poles are relatively common.

Zoom in, and you can see the blurred edges of the sign. And there's no bolt heads protruding thru the sign, bolting the sign onto the pole.
The wavy horizontal shading difference in the center of the sign is another big tipoff.
👉😎👉

TEG24601

Quote from: Alex4897 on August 08, 2015, 10:37:33 AM

The wavy horizontal shading difference in the center of the sign is another big tipoff.

That all being said, it is based on a real sign.  I have seen these many places around the country, and they always cause a WTF response from me.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: TEG24601 on August 08, 2015, 11:50:30 AM
Quote from: Alex4897 on August 08, 2015, 10:37:33 AM

That all being said, it is based on a real sign.  I have seen these many places around the country, and they always cause a WTF response from me.
While the sign conveys an understandable message it seems extremely obvious. These signs can be the subject of internet memes such as being in "You don't say?" memes.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

1995hoo

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 06, 2015, 02:48:00 PM
Wow, never saw a large blue-on-white guide signs.  Might have seen blue-on-white for small pole-mounted signs for local destinations (Yankee Stadium?).  Hard to read against the blue sky background.

We have a few decent-sized blue-on-white signs around here pointing the way to subway stations. Never occurred to me they might be odd just because I'm used to seeing them.

I don't know whether this link will work, and you'll have to click into Street View yourself because I can't seem to figure out how to get a Street View link on my iPad. There's a blue-on-white guide sign alongside the northbound shoulder just north of where I dropped the pin: http://goo.gl/maps/Tdt7s
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

Saw this first one this afternoon. It's not in a parking garage.

This second one is just kind of neat. I bought a six-pack of this beer at Wegmans this afternoon but didn't notice the road sign until I popped the first can at home.

abc2VE

Did somebody say Fayetteville? I took these two years ago on my way to Myrtle Beach.

D-Dey65

Quote from: abc2VE on August 08, 2015, 08:19:10 PM
Did somebody say Fayetteville? I took these two years ago on my way to Myrtle Beach.

Yes, me. And that's them.

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 08, 2015, 01:04:48 PM
We have a few decent-sized blue-on-white signs around here pointing the way to subway stations. Never occurred to me they might be odd just because I'm used to seeing them.
Oh, but it has occurred to me, because I only see signs like that between the Baltimore-DC Megalopolis.

Ian

Quote from: abc2VE on August 08, 2015, 08:19:10 PM
[photos snipped]

It took me a few seconds to realize that the shield on the left is for Business I-95 and not actual I-95.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

1995hoo

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 09, 2015, 12:12:23 AM

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 08, 2015, 01:04:48 PM
Oh, but it has occurred to me, because I only see signs like that between the Baltimore-DC Megalopolis.

I've probably just never paid that much attention because in the past five to seven years I haven't driven to many cities that have things like subway stations near highway exits, and when I have driven to such cities I either haven't been looking for subway stops or (in the case of Brooklyn) it's such a familiar place I haven't paid much attention to the signs.

Pete from Boston

We have a couple of subway stations prominently marked on guide signs.  They just have the system logo and station name on a regular green sign.

formulanone

White-on-green "county road" sign (seems more like a private driveway) located in Cleburn County, Alabama:

Cleburn County 417 by formulanone, on Flickr

Zeffy

Are those bullet holes scattered around the sign or...?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

cl94

Quote from: Zeffy on August 09, 2015, 03:46:19 PM
Are those bullet holes scattered around the sign or...?

It's Alabama. I'd assume that is the case.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Zeffy

Quote from: cl94 on August 09, 2015, 03:46:50 PM

I kind of figured, being that Alabama is one of the most violent states in the country, but I really didn't think that it was all that bad.. of course, I've never even been to Alabama, so I can't really say anything about it.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Rothman

Quote from: Zeffy on August 09, 2015, 03:49:34 PM

I kind of figured, being that Alabama is one of the most violent states in the country, but I really didn't think that it was all that bad.. of course, I've never even been to Alabama, so I can't really say anything about it.

I don't think how "violent" a state is comes into being a factor here.  Shooting signs is a great American pastime in general.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cjk374

How is Alabama so violent? Shooting signs is just a rural country element ALL ACROSS THE USA!!! Ease up on that violent label. As you stated...you've never been there, so don't rush to judgement.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Kniwt

On I-15, the junction with UT 56 got its signs replaced about a year ago. Not quite sure which standard it's using. :)

From Street View, here's what it replaced, which was no beauty contest winner either:

jakeroot

Quote from: cjk374 on August 09, 2015, 06:46:50 PM

How is Alabama so violent? Shooting signs is just a rural country element ALL ACROSS THE USA!!! Ease up on that violent label. As you stated...you've never been there, so don't rush to judgement.

A few months ago, I made a short trip through Alabama. I found Mississippi worst of all the states I visited, but there was a very "hillbilly" feel to the whole area, more so than anywhere else in this country.

Zeffy

That came out wrong. Being from the northeast, shooting signs is, well, not heard of in my parts of the woods. I'm not judging Alabama; my statement was based off of Alabama ranking high on the "most violent states" lists published by various websites. I'm sure there are nice places in Alabama, much like every state despite what people think.

Rothman

Quote from: jakeroot on August 09, 2015, 07:44:51 PM

A few months ago, I made a short trip through Alabama. I found Mississippi worst of all the states I visited, but there was a very "hillbilly" feel to the whole area, more so than anywhere else in this country.

How was Mississippi the "worst"?  Seems to me some ranking like that would risk making oneself look rather judgmental. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alex4897

Quote from: Zeffy on August 09, 2015, 07:47:26 PM

That came out wrong. Being from the northeast, shooting signs is, well, not heard of in my parts of the woods. I'm not judging Alabama; my statement was based off of Alabama ranking high on the "most violent states" lists published by various websites. I'm sure there are nice places in Alabama, much like every state despite what people think.
You'll see sign shooting in extreme southeastern PA near the Delaware border, so it's not exactly an extinct practice around this part of the country.
👉😎👉

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.