Regional Boards > Northeast

Rhode Island mileage based exit numbers?

<< < (2/70) > >>

KEVIN_224:
On I-95, the highest exit number would be 43 in Pawtucket (presently Exit 30), barely a half mile from the Massachusetts border.

southshore720:

--- Quote from: Alps on April 27, 2014, 10:51:52 PM ---Presumably RI 10 and US 6 would remain unnumbered.
--- End quote ---
RI 10 received exit numbers in a recent sign replacement project.  The exit numbers on RI 10 end at the US 6 merge.  There are no exit numbers on the "6/10 Connector."  As is the case with both RI 10 and RI 37, the exits are so close together that mileage-based wouldn't make much sense.  I don't see RI going mileage-based for at least 10 more years.

spooky:

--- Quote from: vdeane on April 27, 2014, 05:17:27 PM ---I was going through the internet when I found this "Ask the DOT" article in the Providence Journal: http://www.providencejournal.com/cars/ask-the-dot/20131013-ask-the-dot-numbering-exits-on-interstate-highways.ece

The really interesting part is here:

--- Quote ---We have looked into moving to a distance-based exit numbering system. This system would help drivers better judge distances between exits and allow the department to add or change exits without renumbering the signs along the highway.

It is important to note, given our size and geographic location, this change is best made in cooperation with our bordering communities, Massachusetts and Connecticut, who also have sequentially numbered highway exits. We are working closely with them to determine how this system could best be implemented in our region.

--- End quote ---

So... given that, MA's pending conversion, and CT switching a couple routes soon, do you think we'll see mileage based numbers come to RI soon?

--- End quote ---

If by "soon" you mean RI will start to think about it after MA and CT have both finished theirs, then yes, "soon".

If they are basing their actions on their neighbors, then it doesn't make sense to do so until I-95 has been converted in both neighboring states. We know that MassDOT plans a west to east conversion, starting with smaller highways. Based on this we can assume that I-95 will be near the end of the 10-year window MassDOT has forecast for the conversion.

dgolub:

--- Quote from: bob7374 on April 27, 2014, 10:44:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: dgolub on April 27, 2014, 07:23:05 PM ---Interesting.  Sequentially numbered exits really are an endangered species at this point, aren't they?

--- End quote ---
It will be interesting to see if RI and neighboring states do coordinate milepost based exits. For example, I-295 around Providence. Currently MA and RI have separate sequential systems, however the 2009 MUTCD recommends that 3di loop or semi-circular routes that cross state lines use one milepost system throughout, like what is done with I-495 on the Capital Beltway, I-275 around Cincinnati, and elsewhere. If this is to be done with I-295, MassDOT and RIDOT would need to cooperate on a single milepost system that would continue 4 mile into MA to I-95.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, having the I-295 exit numbers start over at the state line really doesn't make sense considering how short I-295 is in Massachusetts.  Certainly, if the Hutchinson Parkway/Merritt Parkway exit numbers can (sort of) continue across a state line, then there's certainly no reason why it can't happen here.  There are some other places where it happens not involving a three-digit interstate.  I'm pretty sure that I-86 uses a single exit numbering scheme across the New York-Pennsylvania border.

signalman:

--- Quote from: dgolub on April 28, 2014, 08:50:51 AM ---
--- Quote from: bob7374 on April 27, 2014, 10:44:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: dgolub on April 27, 2014, 07:23:05 PM ---Interesting.  Sequentially numbered exits really are an endangered species at this point, aren't they?

--- End quote ---
It will be interesting to see if RI and neighboring states do coordinate milepost based exits. For example, I-295 around Providence. Currently MA and RI have separate sequential systems, however the 2009 MUTCD recommends that 3di loop or semi-circular routes that cross state lines use one milepost system throughout, like what is done with I-495 on the Capital Beltway, I-275 around Cincinnati, and elsewhere. If this is to be done with I-295, MassDOT and RIDOT would need to cooperate on a single milepost system that would continue 4 mile into MA to I-95.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, having the I-295 exit numbers start over at the state line really doesn't make sense considering how short I-295 is in Massachusetts.  Certainly, if the Hutchinson Parkway/Merritt Parkway exit numbers can (sort of) continue across a state line, then there's certainly no reason why it can't happen here.  There are some other places where it happens not involving a three-digit interstate.  I'm pretty sure that I-86 uses a single exit numbering scheme across the New York-Pennsylvania border.

--- End quote ---
A better (and longer) example is I-24 where it dips into Georgia from Tennessee.  It's in Georgia for 3-4 miles and Tennessee's mileposts are maintained, there's even two exits within Georgia.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version