News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Center Parking

Started by zachary_amaryllis, March 20, 2022, 04:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighwayStar

Quote from: jakeroot on March 28, 2022, 09:36:05 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on March 28, 2022, 09:28:19 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 28, 2022, 06:18:28 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on March 28, 2022, 05:42:32 PM
They could have put a nice 4 lane freeway though there instead.

Adjacent 15th Avenue would be the one to upgrade, not 14th. It crosses the river, and it already has interchanges.

Even better, do both and have a 6 lane freeway with Texas U turn frontage roads.

15th was originally planned and partially built as a freeway (notice the interchanges south of the ship canal), but it was shot down alongside most other Seattle freeways in the 1970s.

There is not enough traffic in the area to warrant any free flow roadways.

Let me get this straight. It was needed as a freeway 50 years ago, was shot down by CAVE people, and despite the vast increase in both population and traffic in Seattle since then there is not enough traffic to warrant it? Sounds like double think to me.

Seattle desperately needs more freeways, I say build it now!
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Bruce

Quote from: HighwayStar on March 29, 2022, 11:12:25 AM

Adjacent 15th Avenue would be the one to upgrade, not 14th. It crosses the river, and it already has interchanges.

Even better, do both and have a 6 lane freeway with Texas U turn frontage roads.

15th was originally planned and partially built as a freeway (notice the interchanges south of the ship canal), but it was shot down alongside most other Seattle freeways in the 1970s.

Let me get this straight. It was needed as a freeway 50 years ago, was shot down by CAVE people, and despite the vast increase in both population and traffic in Seattle since then there is not enough traffic to warrant it? Sounds like double think to me.

We don't need it. Its justification was questionable in the 1950s/1960s (which is why it was never seriously proposed, only in long term plans) and it definitely doesn't pan out today. Ballard is instead getting a grade-separated light rail line that will be able to carry as many commuters with a miniscule impact.

HighwayStar

Quote from: Bruce on March 29, 2022, 12:20:36 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on March 29, 2022, 11:12:25 AM

We don't need it. Its justification was questionable in the 1950s/1960s (which is why it was never seriously proposed, only in long term plans) and it definitely doesn't pan out today. Ballard is instead getting a grade-separated light rail line that will be able to carry as many commuters with a miniscule impact.

A rail line that can stuff people into boxcars like cattle is not equivalent to a highway that can carry them in the comfort of their own automobiles.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

hotdogPi

The existing rail line seems to be a significant walk from much of the area. Are they planning on anything that's closer to the center and not on the water?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

tradephoric

Here is a shot of the median along Woodward in Ferndale, Michigan in the 1930s,1957, and 2011. 

Bruce

Quote from: 1 on March 29, 2022, 12:35:11 PM
The existing rail line seems to be a significant walk from much of the area. Are they planning on anything that's closer to the center and not on the water?

Not sure what you're looking at, but the general plan is to build a new line from Westlake Station to Ballard by following 15th Avenue West (or a few blocks west along the BNSF railyard).

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on March 30, 2022, 12:59:56 AM
Quote from: 1 on March 29, 2022, 12:35:11 PM

Not sure what you're looking at, but the general plan is to build a new line from Westlake Station to Ballard by following 15th Avenue West (or a few blocks west along the BNSF railyard).

Last I saw, Sound Transit was still considering a station along 14th.

KCRoadFan

jjakucyk

Here's a great example from Denmark of all places.  The median is the only place parking is allowed.  Excellent traffic calming all around. 

https://goo.gl/maps/Qd35zs2genw5YrqV7

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.