News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Forum functionality issues

Started by Alex, September 29, 2023, 08:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alex on September 30, 2023, 12:41:04 PM
Quote from: TheRhodeGeek on September 30, 2023, 12:34:04 PM
Don't know if this has been said before but the simple machines copyright and 2.0.19 text on the bottom of each page is overlaid with text featuring a $ sign

I will look into it when I'm back home. Thanks.

I've been trying to figure that out for awhile.  It's the 'ads' mod that put the extra text there, and I've been trying to figure out where it is in the code to fix it so both show up properly.

It's only an issue with the BC theme(s) & the 'old' core theme.  This is because the ad mod we use was made with the 'Curve' style themes in mind, not the old 'core' one.  So, I had to adapt it as much as possible to work with the BC themes.  That 'copyright' was the one thing I couldn't figure out how to adjust properly to get them both to display properly.

wriddle082

Has anybody mentioned how in the Recent Posts box, the font size of the dates and times at the far right is a bit smaller than the post topic and member username at the far left, and all of the dates and times justify to the top.  I tried another browser and it's doing the same thing.

CovalenceSTU

Quote from: Alex on September 30, 2023, 12:46:45 AM
I overlooked your original post and went back to it, thanks.
I ran some queries on the message bodies and corrected all of the instances listed in the code block above. I then went to do similar on the subject field, and the first query instead truncated the field, causing the subject to display the first part of the body text. Weird error that messed up over 1,100 posts...
Looking at the old database, I copied over the original topic names and corresponding topic id's for those posts, which fell under 44 subjects. I then ran queries to rename the posts on this database, which covered subjects with a left quote - " in them.

So you will notice less garbled text.
There's still more to fix, but not after that sql gaff and definitely no more tonight!  :sleep:
Looks like it's been fixed! Although I guess the database didn't like the "" character as the right quote ” turned the left single quote ‘ into .

I also noticed while writing this that the "new message" icon on the reply page links to new.gif (nonexistent) instead of new.png, although it might have been like that before the upgrade.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: CovalenceSTU on September 30, 2023, 09:18:00 PM
I also noticed while writing this that the "new message" icon on the reply page links to new.gif (nonexistent) instead of new.png, although it might have been like that before the upgrade.

Hmmmm.

I think I have that fixed now.  That was one 'template' page that we didn't have in the BC theme, since I didn't think it needed a mod to it.  I found the referenced 'new.gif', renamed it to 'new.png', and uploaded it to the BC theme section.

So, LMK if that happens again.

wriddle082

Quote from: wriddle082 on September 30, 2023, 09:15:32 PM
Has anybody mentioned how in the Recent Posts box, the font size of the dates and times at the far right is a bit smaller than the post topic and member username at the far left, and all of the dates and times justify to the top.  I tried another browser and it's doing the same thing.

This is what I'm talking about.  The left and right sides don't line up.

MATraveler128

Quote from: wriddle082 on October 01, 2023, 11:03:56 AM

Interesting. I'm not having that issue on my end.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

rickmastfan67

Quote from: wriddle082 on October 01, 2023, 11:03:56 AM

Not having that issue either.

Do you have your zoom in the browser set too high?  Try resetting it to 100% (Ctrl+0).

1995hoo

Mine is not doing that either (viewing in the Brave browser on an iPad).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Jim

My "recent posts" looks fine at all Zoom levels on Mac Firefox.  Maybe an old file is cached and a force-reload will take care of it?
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 29, 2023, 05:37:57 PM
I generally appreciate having names, even if just mentioned in private.  That way I know who deny entry to, preemptively block or remove from the groups I manage. 

As an example a "roadside certain shrubbery enthusiast" recently re-emerged on a Facebook group.  Given what I was as told about the malefactor in question I took steps to prevent them from discovering my presence.

An enthusiast of little green shrubs?  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on October 01, 2023, 07:01:03 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 29, 2023, 05:37:57 PM
I generally appreciate having names, even if just mentioned in private.  That way I know who deny entry to, preemptively block or remove from the groups I manage. 

As an example a "roadside certain shrubbery enthusiast" recently re-emerged on a Facebook group.  Given what I was as told about the malefactor in question I took steps to prevent them from discovering my presence.

An enthusiast of little green shrubs?  :bigass:

Indeed, preemptive blocking measures were taken upon my discovering his presence.  I saw no need to rekindle MTR wars that I wasn't part of begin with.

wriddle082

Quote from: Jim on October 01, 2023, 12:25:05 PM
My "recent posts" looks fine at all Zoom levels on Mac Firefox.  Maybe an old file is cached and a force-reload will take care of it?

Played around with zoom levels, which were originally set to 100%.  Reduced it to 90, which fixed it.  Raised it back to 100%, it was still fixed.  Then I refreshed it and it reverted back.

I have been using Duck Duck Go browser on iOS on an iPhone 14 (no, I will NOT use Tapatalk!).  I tried visiting the site on Safari the other day and it was still giving me issues.  And a few minutes ago I fired up my laptop and visited on Chrome, and there were no issues.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: wriddle082 on October 02, 2023, 06:22:47 AM
I have been using Duck Duck Go browser on iOS on an iPhone 14 (no, I will NOT use Tapatalk!).  I tried visiting the site on Safari the other day and it was still giving me issues.

There's your answer then.

This theme wasn't built with 'mobile' in mind sadly.  Nothing we can really do about that till we consider upgrading the forums to the 2.1 branch.

Jim

Super low priority as far as I'm concerned, but I'll mention it in case it wasn't already in other reports about character encodings.  On pages like https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33012.msg2871488#msg2871488 the "ñ" in Doña Ana is not showing up correctly.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Alex

Quote from: Jim on October 02, 2023, 04:58:39 PM
Super low priority as far as I'm concerned, but I'll mention it in case it wasn't already in other reports about character encodings.  On pages like https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33012.msg2871488#msg2871488 the "ñ" in Doña Ana is not showing up correctly.

I am still tackling that issue. Will try a method I read about to wholesale clean all of them up next...

LM117

Quote from: 1 on September 29, 2023, 11:26:27 AM
Quote from: LM117 on September 29, 2023, 11:11:58 AM
Quote from: intelati49 on September 29, 2023, 10:45:22 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 29, 2023, 10:36:05 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on September 29, 2023, 10:14:11 AM
A forum administrator or three needs a weekend off now nice stiff drinks now.

No kidding. I can only imagine what a flustercluck it was.  :cheers:

Hat's off to them

WTF happened?

User threatened DMCA to remove all his posts. Forum was down, and they were all removed via script. This caused some threads to no longer have a most recent post, breaking things. To fix it, some issues regarding non-ASCII encoding happened.

Thanks for the 411.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hbelkins

I've noticed a few posts showing up with the green "new" arrow indicator despite there not being any new posts in the thread. It's happened twice in the Gordie Howe bridge post on the Road Meets board.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Something tells me this MMM is not gone nor ever will  be. Sooner or later he will return.

Although Blawpe never returned except twice, but Alps noticed him right away one of the two times and dealt with him with the first return being banned by higher up due to an insult or a threat. However he's been quiet since the second attempt years ago, but still haven't heard from him since.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wriddle082

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 02, 2023, 12:29:52 PM
I have been using Duck Duck Go browser on iOS on an iPhone 14 (no, I will NOT use Tapatalk!).  I tried visiting the site on Safari the other day and it was still giving me issues.

This theme wasn't built with 'mobile' in mind sadly.  Nothing we can really do about that till we consider upgrading the forums to the 2.1 branch.

Well the font sizes were fine before the forum was taken down, regardless of browser, so that's why I brought it up.

And thank you to all who worked hard to bring the forum back up!  It was very strange not having the forum in my regular rotation of sites to follow during the downtime.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: wriddle082 on October 03, 2023, 07:18:55 PM

Well the font sizes were fine before the forum was taken down, regardless of browser, so that's why I brought it up.

Did you patch the browsers at any point on your phone?  That's what possibly triggered it.  That's all I can think of, since I don't roll iOS (android here for my phone).

wriddle082

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 04, 2023, 03:18:23 AM
Quote from: wriddle082 on October 03, 2023, 07:18:55 PM

Did you patch the browsers at any point on your phone?  That's what possibly triggered it.  That's all I can think of, since I don't roll iOS (android here for my phone).

I did this morning hoping it would fix the issue, and it did not.

But now that I think about it more, I did upgrade the iOS to 17.0.2 from 16.x.x during the down time.  It didn't affect any other sites, but considering the other oddities I'm now starting to catch, I can see this as the possible culprit.

US 89

The ô character seems to have been mojibaked to ô.

WillWeaverRVA

One of the rotating news stories says the forum is still down.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alex

Quote from: Alex on October 02, 2023, 06:43:26 PM
Quote from: Jim on October 02, 2023, 04:58:39 PM

I am still tackling that issue. Will try a method I read about to wholesale clean all of them up next...

Quote from: US 89 on October 04, 2023, 11:43:20 PM
The ô character seems to have been mojibaked to ô.

The method I tried did not work as the table in the database that houses all of the posts is too big to import into a new database so that I can clean it up. Ionos times out on the import, giving a proxy error. I attempted to separate the table into five exports, but then when importing, issues occur where records are duplicated, causing the process to abruptly stop. It is a frustrating endeavor, so not worth pursuing anymore.

kphoger

Quote from: Alex on October 06, 2023, 01:33:25 PM
It is a frustrating endeavor, so not worth pursuing anymore.

At the very least, you should edit the Forum Guidelines.

Quote from: Alex on May 21, 2009, 10:34:10 PM
Photos and images posted in forum threads should not exceed 800 pixels in width or 600 pixels in height. Everyone is not using the same monitor. To reference larger images, just add a link from the 800×600 sized image to the larger file in question.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.