AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: General NBA thread  (Read 73723 times)

Roadgeekteen

• Limon should not be a control city

• Last Login: February 01, 2024, 11:41:55 AM
General NBA thread
« on: December 27, 2018, 10:34:11 PM »

I don't see one so I will make one. I'm a Celtics fan disappointed in their performance tonight.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
Re: General NBA thread
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 12:10:00 AM »

I'm a Knicks fan disappointed in their performance this millennium. Carry on. Also, f the cheatriots and sux, re: your tagline.

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: Today at 03:51:37 PM
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 11:56:30 PM »

Speaking of which, 'f the yankees' I get, because fuck those fuckers.  But 'f the jets'?  The Jets have been terrible your entire life.  I don't see how one can hate a team that their team has dominated for so long.  That's gotta be your dad talking, I assume.

How lucky are Pats fans to be in a division where every other team has been an absolute trainwreck for 20 years?  That's like 6 automatic wins every season, excepting a few flukes here and there.

Anyway, on the topic, the quality of the team in Milwaukee is causing me to pay attention to the NBA a little more recently.  They've been mediocre to terrible my entire life, so I never got into pro hoops so much.  But then along comes a certain man with a name you can't say without sounding drunk and now it's suddenly more fun.  Call me a fairweather fan if you will, but screw it; the local team is finally good so I'm jumping on the Gannis bandwagon.
As a bonus, it's distracting me from thinking about all the money spent on a new arena.  If the Bucks are still playing deep into the baseball season, that'll feel like we got something for our $480 million.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 11:47:52 PM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 12:33:51 AM »

Lifelong Pistons fan, seems like they are really on and competing every other decade.  There is really much to get me interested in a 16-17 team this year. 

tdindy88

• Last Login: Today at 08:34:27 PM
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 08:44:41 AM »

Speaking of which, 'f the yankees' I get, because fuck those fuckers.  But 'f the jets'?  The Jets have been terrible your entire life.  I don't see how one can hate a team that their team has dominated for so long.  That's gotta be your dad talking, I assume.

How lucky are Pats fans to be in a division where every other team has been an absolute trainwreck for 20 years?  That's like 6 automatic wins every season, excepting a few flukes here and there.

Anyway, on the topic, the quality of the team in Milwaukee is causing me to pay attention to the NBA a little more recently.  They've been mediocre to terrible my entire life, so I never got into pro hoops so much.  But then along comes a certain man with a name you can't say without sounding drunk and now it's suddenly more fun.  Call me a fairweather fan if you will, but screw it; the local team is finally good so I'm jumping on the Gannis bandwagon.
As a bonus, it's distracting me from thinking about all the money spent on a new arena.  If the Bucks are still playing deep into the baseball season, that'll feel like we got something for our $480 million.

This reminded me of the Indiana Pacers when they opened up then-called Conseco Fieldhouse in 1999. That season was likely the pinnacle of Pacers success in the NBA. Of course we had our most famous player playing at that time with Reggie Miller but that season saw the Pacers reach the NBA Finals for their only time in their history. In their first year at the new arena they had the best home record I believe the team has ever had, and included a 25-game home win streak to boot.

And now, the Pacers own the 3rd best record in the Eastern Conference and the 4th best record in the entire league, and barely anyone's talked about them.

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 10:26:00 AM »

Jets did beat the Pats in the 2010 playoffs.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 11:22:41 PM
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 10:37:09 AM »

And the best record in the League as of this typing (25-10 .714).

:nod:

Mike

jp the roadgeek

• Last Login: Today at 07:11:46 PM
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 11:23:16 PM »

I don't see one so I will make one. I'm a Celtics fan disappointed in their performance tonight.

I'm kind of disappointed with their performance most of this season.  They've lost some awful games (Phoenix at home, Knicks by double digits at home).  Take out that 8 game win streak and they're under .500.  So much for 55 wins + and prohibitive favorites to make the NBA Finals out of the east.  Hayward has been a bust (a goose egg in 22 minutes tonight), and it seems like many not name Kyrie have grossly underachieved at times.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ce929wax

• Last Login: August 01, 2022, 01:54:50 PM
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 03:48:34 PM »

I'm playing as the Celtics this year on NBA2k19 and they seem to like to lose by 20+ pts to the 76ers.

This is also my 200th post  :sombrero:

epzik8

• Clincher of roadways

• Last Login: Today at 08:46:29 PM
    • The Epzik8 Webpage
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 08:58:11 AM »

If I liked the NBA, I would be a Washington Wizards fan, since I live outside of Baltimore, which doesn't have an NBA team anymore.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

ET21

• Last Login: Today at 10:11:16 PM
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 09:27:56 AM »

Too bad the Bulls are trash, otherwise I'd be more into the NBA
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Henry

• Last Login: Today at 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 02:35:24 PM »

Same here!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mgk920

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 08:02:26 PM »

Same here!

Outside of North America, they'd be in serious danger of being relegated this season.

:-o

Mike

ET21

• Last Login: Today at 10:11:16 PM
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 09:37:58 AM »

Same here!

Outside of North America, they'd be in serious danger of being relegated this season.

Mike

They deserve to be relegated
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 04:27:37 PM »

I just watched the end of Lakers Rockets last night and what an ending it was.

jp the roadgeek

• Last Login: Today at 07:11:46 PM
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 08:54:21 PM »

Same here!

Mike

That ship has sailed, now that G-League teams have affiliations like you have for MLB and the NHL.  Would be interesting to see teams like the Cavs, Bulls, and Knicks be relegated to the G-League.  Only issue is that some G-League teams share an arena or play in the exact same city as their parent, and the arenas are too small.  It would work in the case of the Long Island Nets (Nassau Coliseum, though downsized, is adequate and far enough away from MSG and Barclays to be viable), but in the case of the OKC Blue, they play right across the street from Chesapeake at Cox Convention Center, so having 2 NBA teams in OKC is a little much.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

mgk920

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 09:45:28 PM »

Same here!

Mike

That ship has sailed, now that G-League teams have affiliations like you have for MLB and the NHL.  Would be interesting to see teams like the Cavs, Bulls, and Knicks be relegated to the G-League.  Only issue is that some G-League teams share an arena or play in the exact same city as their parent, and the arenas are too small.  It would work in the case of the Long Island Nets (Nassau Coliseum, though downsized, is adequate and far enough away from MSG and Barclays to be viable), but in the case of the OKC Blue, they play right across the street from Chesapeake at Cox Convention Center, so having 2 NBA teams in OKC is a little much.

I've mentioned in interesting and engaging local 'sports bar' conversations here over the past few years that should the NCAA ever implode - and yes, there have been events in recent years that if followed to their logical conclusions would result in such an implosion - that whatever succeeds it, such as a conversion to an overseas private sports club model, could well become a part of a pro-rel federation with the current NBA being its 'first division'.  Imagining current D-1 college teams being converted into private sports clubs with no upper age limits, completely separated from the academics side of their legacy universities, with other new clubs emerging and so forth.

IMHO, basketball would be an ideal sport for such an organizational model.

BTW, under my model, the current 30-team NBA would remain as it is now, with the playoffs continuing as they are now (top eight teams in each conference in a seeded bracket) and the teams that are in last place in each conference plus a wild card (second from bottom team with the worse record) at the end of each season being relegated.  For the three teams that would be promoted to replace them, the one geographically farthest east would go into the Eastern Conference, the one geographically farthest west would go to the Western Conference and the one geographically in the middle would go to the conference that lost the wild card team, where the teams would remain for their respective tenures at that level.

Under that, as of this typing, the Cleveland Cavaliers, the New York Knicks and the Phoenix Suns would all relegate if the season ended today.

Mike

Ben114

• yep that's me

• Last Login: Today at 10:12:48 PM
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 07:38:14 PM »

The Celtics have just been getting new players since they haven't won a championship since 2008 (the only one within my life), which kinda makes them due for a championship soon (and they are the only Boston sports team to not win a championship within the last 10 years (Sox: 2018, Pats: 2017, Bruins: 2011)).

We most likely will not have another Cavs-Warriors Finals this year, mainly because of LeBron.

I'll be watching for a Lakers-Warriors game on the West and a Celts-Sixers game on the East and hope for a decent Finals this year.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 09:27:40 PM »

The Knicks haven't won a championship since 1973 (not within my life), which kinda makes them due for a championship soon (especially compared to rotten, spoiled Boston sports fans who have enough to tide them over a few decades).
FTFY

Ben114

• yep that's me

• Last Login: Today at 10:12:48 PM
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 09:30:09 PM »

The Knicks haven't won a championship since 1973 (not within my life), which kinda makes them due for a championship soon (especially compared to rotten, spoiled Boston sports fans who have enough to tide them over a few decades).
FTFY
lol

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 10:56:23 PM »

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

MantyMadTown

• UW-Madison

• Last Login: December 07, 2019, 06:54:22 PM
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 11:48:50 PM »

The Celtics have just been getting new players since they haven't won a championship since 2008 (the only one within my life), which kinda makes them due for a championship soon (and they are the only Boston sports team to not win a championship within the last 10 years (Sox: 2018, Pats: 2017, Bruins: 2011)).

And look at Milwaukee, whose Bucks haven't won the Finals since their only championship win in 1971, and the Brewers, who haven't won the World Series since ever. I'm hoping the Bucks can make the Finals (and hopefully win!) this year.
Forget the I-41 haters

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 11:56:09 PM »

And look at Milwaukee, whose Bucks haven't won the Finals since their only championship win in 1971, and the Brewers, who haven't won the World Series since ever. I'm hoping the Bucks can make the Finals (and hopefully win!) this year.
You have the Packers though.

MantyMadTown

• UW-Madison

• Last Login: December 07, 2019, 06:54:22 PM
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2019, 04:16:49 AM »

I'm talking about the city, not the whole state of Wisconsin. Green Bay has overall been much more successful sports city than Milwaukee.
Forget the I-41 haters

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2019, 09:11:30 AM »

I'm talking about the city, not the whole state of Wisconsin. Green Bay has overall been much more successful sports city than Milwaukee.
The Packers are Milwalkees team though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.