News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 24, 2021, 07:55:36 PM
Bucs played like ass in the second half offensively, but GB couldn't do anything with the mistakes. GB's coaching today was similarly rectal with the poor defensive call allowing the Bucs to get the Hail Mary TD and then obviously kicking the field goal down 8 with 3 minutes left.

Everything compounded. First mistake was chasing the points by going for 2 too early, which left them down 8 instead of down 7. Next mistake was Rodgers not running on 3rd and goal. Probably doesn't score but at least gets to a more manageable 4th and goal, where they can go for it (but should have anyway).

If I had a head coaching vacancy, I'd be hiring Todd Bowles.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 24, 2021, 08:02:52 PM
Bucs played like ass in the second half offensively, but GB couldn't do anything with the mistakes. GB's coaching today was similarly rectal with the poor defensive call allowing the Bucs to get the Hail Mary TD and then obviously kicking the field goal down 8 with 3 minutes left.

Everything compounded. First mistake was chasing the points by going for 2 too early, which left them down 8 instead of down 7. Next mistake was Rodgers not running on 3rd and goal. Probably doesn't score but at least gets to a more manageable 4th and goal, where they can go for it (but should have anyway).

He would've definitely been able to run it close if not in. They didn't talk about it on TV but it was a huge missed opportunity.

tchafe1978

What ultimately killed the Packers was turnovers. First, the Bucs turned two Packers turnovers into 14 points, but the Packers could only turn 3 Brady picks into 6 points. And they might have as well gone for it on 4th and goal. If they score, they can tie it with a two point conversion. If they don't make it, the Bucs get the ball back and run out the clock, just the same as having kicked the field goal. Might as well take your shot while you can. But there were many missed opportunities. A couple bad calls by the refs when there weren't many didn't help either. They missed a PI call against the Bucs on Lazard on Rodgers' pick, and then called a ticky tack PI on the Packers later in the game. No matter how you look at it though, as often seems to be with the Packers, it was one big case of coulda, woulda, shoulda.

I-39

The Packers have some serious problems. How can you keep getting this close and failing. There's always something wrong one way or another with the team when they get to the NFC Championship game.

I'm not convinced management really cares about winning. While they have been marginally better in recent years since reassigning Ted Thompson (RIP), they still really haven't been going "all in"  on winning and being more aggressive in improving the team. The Jordan Love pick last year tells you all you need to know.

tdindy88

I guess will have to cross "no team has ever played the Super Bowl at home" off the list of things that have never happened before. I was just reading that the NFL was planning on not having any team arrive in Tampa until a couple of days before the game, but if half your participants already live there then how does that go? It would seem a little unfair that Tampa Bay could get to train nearby the game while "staying at home" while Kansas City has to train up at their place until a couple of days before. On the bright side, Kansas City is a very good team so that point could be negated.

And what's up with Tampa being in three major championships this past year. They were in the Stanley Cup (and won,) the World Series and now the Super Bowl. I know that having a city like New York or Los Angeles or Boston doing this isn't unheard of but a metropolitan area a bit smaller like Tampa Bay it seems weird. When you include the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals then the state of Florida has been represented in all four of the last major league championships.

webny99

The Chiefs don't deserve a second straight Super Bowl, and Tom Brady certainly doesn't deserve a tenth, but such is life. It was over the second I posted that Chiefs-Bucs was my least-favorite matchup. Now I'm left with so much disgust about both teams that I have zero rooting interests, which I guess makes the next few weeks less stressful, if nothing else.

I know there's plenty of disappointed Packers fans on here, but I might be even more disappointed. Who should be more disappointed?

With the Bills, this is the second straight year where they've had a meltdown once they get into unfamiliar territory. Last year it was the Wild Card game, this year they made it past that (the Colts matchup was a trap game if there ever was one...), then got past the divisional round thanks to DC Leslie Frazier's great plan to stop the Ravens. But then as soon as they had to go on the road for the championship, things got off the rails. This is absolutely a team that could win the Super Bowl. I'd say the next step is to win a road playoff game... something they still haven't done this century.

With the Packers, this is now 4 of the past 7 NFC Championships that they've made and lost, which is depressing, but still a positive sign that you can be very good consistently. Again, absolutely a team that could win the Super Bowl. I don't kill the draft pick: There's no way Rodgers has a lights-out MVP campaign and gets you the #1 seed without that pick. It's just weird that they still ended up in the same spot they did last year, although it was a much more even matchup this time around. I'm more perplexed than disappointed, though... is this just bad luck, or do they have a fatal flaw that's being overlooked?

With regards to today's performances specifically, I would point to coaching on the part of both the Bills and Packers. McDermott and LeFleur both had to be expecting potential shootouts, and neither were aggressive enough in key situations.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: I-39 on January 24, 2021, 10:09:04 PM
The Packers have some serious problems. How can you keep getting this close and failing. There's always something wrong one way or another with the team when they get to the NFC Championship game.

I'm not convinced management really cares about winning. While they have been marginally better in recent years since reassigning Ted Thompson (RIP), they still really haven't been going "all in"  on winning and being more aggressive in improving the team. The Jordan Love pick last year tells you all you need to know.

Well, you can go back to draft night and they opted for luxury over need with their top two picks. That may not have made a difference this year, but maybe for next year. It was a deep receiver draft, and they passed on those; lots of receivers taken after GB's round 1 selection made immediate impacts in 2020. It showed when they played good teams how inadequate MVS and Lazard are as secondary options.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

As for the playoffs as a whole, they've been mediocre to good, depending on how you define it. Only 5/12 games finished within one score, but all of the other seven were two-score games, so a notable lack of blowouts.

The Bills own the most lopsided win and the most lopsided loss of the playoffs, with the Ravens and Chiefs games both being decided by 14 points. They also own the closest game of the playoffs with the 3-point win over the Colts. So, a heck of an interesting postseason ride, even if it didn't end how anyone in Western NY wanted it to.

brad2971

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 24, 2021, 10:24:53 PM
I guess will have to cross "no team has ever played the Super Bowl at home" off the list of things that have never happened before. I was just reading that the NFL was planning on not having any team arrive in Tampa until a couple of days before the game, but if half your participants already live there then how does that go? It would seem a little unfair that Tampa Bay could get to train nearby the game while "staying at home" while Kansas City has to train up at their place until a couple of days before. On the bright side, Kansas City is a very good team so that point could be negated.

And what's up with Tampa being in three major championships this past year. They were in the Stanley Cup (and won,) the World Series and now the Super Bowl. I know that having a city like New York or Los Angeles or Boston doing this isn't unheard of but a metropolitan area a bit smaller like Tampa Bay it seems weird. When you include the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals then the state of Florida has been represented in all four of the last major league championships.

Bear in mind that the Chiefs already played in TB (and won, 27-24) this season. So they're at least familiar with what will be a subdued Super Bowl setting compared with previous years. And it certainly does appear that Florida is being rewarded by being somewhat loose when it comes to COVID-19 restrictions.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on January 24, 2021, 11:00:34 PM
As for the playoffs as a whole, they've been mediocre to good, depending on how you define it. Only 5/12 games finished within one score, but all of the other seven were two-score games, so a notable lack of blowouts.

The Bills own the most lopsided win and the most lopsided loss of the playoffs, with the Ravens and Chiefs games both being decided by 14 points. They also own the closest game of the playoffs with the 3-point win over the Colts. So, a heck of an interesting postseason ride, even if it didn't end how anyone in Western NY wanted it to.

The Bears were behind 21-3 until scoring on the final play of the game, so that was the most lopsided loss even though the final margin was less than 14.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jeffandnicole

Quote from: brad2971 on January 24, 2021, 11:28:03 PM
...And it certainly does appear that Florida is being rewarded by being somewhat loose when it comes to COVID-19 restrictions.

That is a cruel twist, although I don't know how the Florida teams winning have much to do with COVID.  The NHL season was played entirely in Canada.  MLB was played without any fans.  Football left it up to each team (and their respective jurisdiction's limits) when it came to fans, and the Bucs managed to win 3 games in the playoffs on the road, all mainly in stadiums with opposing fans present. 

webny99

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 25, 2021, 07:08:59 AM
Quote from: webny99 on January 24, 2021, 11:00:34 PM

The Bears were behind 21-3 until scoring on the final play of the game, so that was the most lopsided loss even though the final margin was less than 14.

Yeah, it should've been 28-3. It definitely felt more like a blowout than the score showed.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on January 24, 2021, 07:42:26 PM
I'm updating and expanding my list, with something of a playoffs bias due to the one and done nature of them:
10. Bills at Cardinals, week 10
9. Buccaneers at WFT, wild card
8. Colts at Bills, wild card
7. Ravens at Browns, week 14
6. Seahawks at Cardinals, week 7
5. Titans at Texans, week 17
4. Browns at Steelers, wild card
3. Browns at Chiefs, divisional
2. Patriots at Seahawks, week 2
1. Buccaneers at Packers, NFC championship

What makes Bucs-Packers #1?

Colts-Bills was the best game of the playoffs so far, and it's not even that close IMO.
Sure, Browns-Steelers was a saucy narrative and a lot of fun, but it wasn't a great game by any stretch.

thspfc

Going for two was the right call there IMO. If St. Brown didn't drop it, the Packers would have been down 31-28 and only needing a field goal if they got the ball back. But the defense shot themselves in the foot with jersey grabbing for no reason and walking slowly off the field during substitutions when the Bucs were already at the line of scrimmage. Whine about the refs, but Green Bay didn't deserve to win the game. They played quite badly.

thspfc

All the clamoring was about them not drafting a WR, but what they really need is a cornerback to replace Kevin King, who was basically the biggest reason they lost the game yesterday on multiple levels.

I-39

Quote from: thspfc on January 25, 2021, 09:04:25 AM

All the clamoring was about them not drafting a WR, but what they really need is a cornerback to replace Kevin King, who was basically the biggest reason they lost the game yesterday on multiple levels.

I'm tired of the excuses. The fact is there is always something wrong on one side of the ball or another. I would demand a trade if I were Rodgers at this point.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thspfc on January 25, 2021, 09:01:08 AM

Going for two was the right call there IMO. If St. Brown didn't drop it, the Packers would have been down 31-28 and only needing a field goal if they got the ball back. But the defense shot themselves in the foot with jersey grabbing for no reason and walking slowly off the field during substitutions when the Bucs were already at the line of scrimmage. Whine about the refs, but Green Bay didn't deserve to win the game. They played quite badly.

Yeah, a lot of bitching today about that call, but that goes with the game.  While a lot was made about similar-type calls not being called earlier, this one was such a blatant violation that it really deserved to be called.

Maybe a little more surprising...late in the Bills game, after a QB sack, there were 3 personal fouls against Buffalo and 1 against KC.  The refs termed it "Off-setting", and they were gracious in not throwing out 73 or 76 of Buffalo to make sure things didn't get out of hand.  That momentarily saved Buffalo, who managed a long FG on the next play.

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 25, 2021, 10:01:31 AM
Maybe a little more surprising...late in the Bills game, after a QB sack, there were 3 personal fouls against Buffalo and 1 against KC.  The refs termed it "Off-setting", and they were gracious in not throwing out 73 or 76 of Buffalo to make sure things didn't get out of hand.  That momentarily saved Buffalo, who managed a long FG on the next play.

That was a chaotic sequence. I get their frustration, but everyone, including Allen, needed to be more mature in that situation.
#73 is Dion "Shnowman" Dawkins, probably the Bills' 2nd-most beloved player after Allen.

ET21

I see the Packers kept up their playoff narrative  :-D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 24, 2021, 10:24:53 PM

Philadelphia, in 1980, had all 4 of their teams in the finals (NHL, NBA, World Series, & Super Bowl), though only the Phils won.
Cleveland, in 2016 had the Cavs and the Monsters (AAA level minor league hockey) win championships, and the Indians made the World Series...followed by the Browns going 0-16.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Buck87

Tampa also had their minor league (tier 2) soccer team advance to the championship game, which unfortunately ended up being cancelled due to a covid outbreak.

thspfc

Quote from: I-39 on January 25, 2021, 09:12:29 AM

I'm tired of the excuses. The fact is there is always something wrong on one side of the ball or another. I would demand a trade if I were Rodgers at this point.
What teams have the cap space and the right situation for him? Indianapolis perhaps. New England could work - if Rodgers was capable of putting his ego aside for the good of his team, which he is not.

SSOWorld

Quote from: thspfc on January 25, 2021, 11:37:08 PM
Quote from: I-39 on January 25, 2021, 09:12:29 AM

What teams have the cap space and the right situation for him? Indianapolis perhaps. New England could work - if Rodgers was capable of putting his ego aside for the good of his team, which he is not.
Neither is Brady.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

webny99

Will Deshaun Watson end up getting traded? I can't believe it could happen. Buckle up, because pretty much every team could be in the mix except for a handful. My full "Who could use Deshaun Watson?" rankings, excluding the AFC South:

1. 49ers
2. Broncos
3. Bears
4. Patriots
5. Lions (if Stafford goes elsewhere)
6. Washington
7. Jets
8. Panthers
9. Dolphins
10. Saints (if Brees retires)
11. Eagles
12. Giants
13. Rams
14. Cardinals
15. Raiders
16. Browns
17. Vikings
18. Steelers (if Big Ben returns)
19. Falcons
20. Cowboys
21. Bucs
22. Bengals
23. Ravens
24. Seahawks
25. Chargers
26. Packers
27. Bills
28. Chiefs

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on January 26, 2021, 09:14:08 AM
Will Deshaun Watson end up getting traded? I can't believe it could happen. Buckle up, because pretty much every team could be in the mix except for a handful. My full "Who could use Deshaun Watson?" rankings, excluding the AFC South:

1. 49ers
2. Broncos
3. Bears
4. Patriots
5. Lions (if Stafford goes elsewhere)
6. Washington
7. Jets
8. Panthers
9. Dolphins
10. Saints (if Brees retires)
11. Eagles
12. Giants
13. Rams
14. Cardinals
15. Raiders
16. Browns
17. Vikings
18. Steelers (if Big Ben returns)
19. Falcons
20. Cowboys
21. Bucs
22. Bengals
23. Ravens
24. Seahawks
25. Chargers
26. Packers
27. Bills
28. Chiefs
Jets should be much higher on that list. Their coaching/system ruins young quarterbacks. Get someone already established and they've got a shot.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.