News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Mobile-Baldwin

Started by Alex, January 21, 2009, 12:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Mobile's 25-year road plan faces complaints at meeting

QuoteBig-ticket projects on the plan include nearly $300 million for a new bridge or crossing of Mobile River, and more than $70 million to widen Snow Road to create a new bypass west of Schillinger Road.

But most of the comments at Tuesday's hearing, held at the GM&O Building downtown, had more to do with plans to build several dedicated bicycle trails throughout the city.

The MPO Long Range Plan map does not show anything to me that will really benefit area traffic movements. A new Mobile River bridge for Interstate 10 and eight-laned Mobile Bayway? I'll believe it when I see it...

Associated story

* $288.5 million for a new Mobile River crossing. Harrison said the long range plan just identifies a general corridor, not a specific route, so any of the three bridge routes being considered -- or even a tunnel or northern route -- would be allowable under the plan.
* $71.6 million to widen Snow Road from Jeff Hamilton Road to U.S. 98 to create a new bypass west of Schillinger Road.
* $35.5 million to widen Alabama Highway 193 from Hamilton Boulevard to just north of Fowl River.

Widening a road to five lanes without controlling the access at all is not creating a new bypass, its creating a new commercial arterial. Get it through your thick skulls planners!  :banghead: Widened roads = more lanes of travel in which to queue at new traffic lights...  :ded:

froggie

QuoteWidening a road to five lanes without controlling the access at all is not creating a new bypass, its creating a new commercial arterial. Get it through your thick skulls planners!

That has more to do with zoning and whatever passes for the county's planning commission than it does the highway department.

But, then again, Alabama has never been good at access management...

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with building bicycle trails.

Alex

Quote from: froggie on February 05, 2010, 08:03:34 AM
QuoteWidening a road to five lanes without controlling the access at all is not creating a new bypass, its creating a new commercial arterial. Get it through your thick skulls planners!

That has more to do with zoning and whatever passes for the county's planning commission than it does the highway department.

But, then again, Alabama has never been good at access management...

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with building bicycle trails.

I am all for them adding any bicycle provisions to Mobile. Currently there are absolutely none whatsoever, and accordingly, I never see anyone biking.

County commissioners have always failed to do anything when it comes to access management in these two counties, and their zoning policies through what I have seen is, anything goes. Widening of Alabama 181 is finally underway, and so many new subdivisions were built along the corridor in anticipation of it. Additionally Fairhope and Daphne annexed new swaths of land out toward the state highway to accommodate even more unmanaged sprawl. The net result is a useful two lane rural highway transitioned into a congested waiting-to-be four-laned arterial. Also because of the unmanaged growth, many of the previously unsignalized intersections now have full blown traffic lights.

One of the two gaps of CR-13 is close to being opened as well. Will the same be said for its role as a useful alternative to U.S. 98? Not so if the county commissioners and city governments continue to approve uncontrollable sprawl.

Alabama 158 is quite busy in its current form, and while there are large berms along the highway, access will not be controlled per ALDOT. We recently took a look at the U.S. 98 Wilmer bypass, and the pictures displayed on their website show more completed than is in the field. The two roads we took across the corridor are not even at grade level yet with the planned four lane highway, and there is only a gravel base on one of the future carriageways. Access will not be controlled here as well. While I am not expecting a flood of Walmarts and new subdivisions so far out, I do find it likely that a few gas stations, maybe a Dollar General, and other rural type businesses will add turning movements and the like to the four-lane thoroughfare.

Scott5114

This thread is deprecated. Please start new threads for each Mobile—Baldwin related topic you may wish to discuss.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alex

I prefer to keep the Mobile-Baldwin thread as the catch all for all road related news, observations, photography, questions, and other items pertaining to the two southernmost counties in Alabama.

Alex

I forgot to post a few observations from a ride to Mobile County last weekend.

For the first time ever, Mobile County 70 is acknowledged in signage. Shields are now posted at its confluence with Mobile County 5 at Tanner Williams. Shields are posted in all directions, and the implied overlap is even recognized.

Further north, Howells Ferry Road leading west from Mobile County 5 is signed with Mobile County 74 pentagons.

Also at CR 5 and 74 is an old F.A.S. sign tucked between some tree branches. Anyone have an idea of what these signs were used for? There are a few scattered about in rural Alabama.

Looking west from Mobile County 63 at the future U.S. 98 / Wilmer Bypass. A grade separated intersection is planned between the two highways, but as it stands now, CR-63 travels well above the grade for future U.S. 98.

There is quite a drop from the grade of Walter Tanner Road to the future U.S. 98 as well. This view looks westward toward Mississippi from outside of Wilmer.

An aerial view of the U.S. 98 swath north of Wilmer.

Further north the junction of Mobile County 63 and 86 is signed with pentagons. No shields are posted on CR 86 south at US 45 however.

florida

FAS could stand for Federal Aid Secondary? Older county maps from at least the 1960s and before have FA(P) and FAS listed on roads.
So many roads...so little time.

froggie

In planning circles, FAS does stand for Federal Aid Secondary.  As I understand it, FHWA dropped the term with either ISTEA or TEA-21 (not sure which), though some local jurisdictions still may use it (I believe Mississippi still does).

Impressed to see Mobile County actually signing its county routes...

njroadhorse

Any timetable for that US 98 Bypass?  I read something about it before, but the dates slip my mind.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

florida

Quote from: froggie on February 06, 2010, 11:54:53 AM
In planning circles, FAS does stand for Federal Aid Secondary.  As I understand it, FHWA dropped the term with either ISTEA or TEA-21 (not sure which), though some local jurisdictions still may use it (I believe Mississippi still does).

What would the "935 (1)" stand for?

froggie

That would be the FAS number for that particular road.

Alex

Quote from: njroadhorse on February 06, 2010, 12:47:18 PM
Any timetable for that US 98 Bypass?  I read something about it before, but the dates slip my mind.

The Safe 98 web site does not give a definitive answer

QuoteWhen is the entire highway to be completed?

The entire project has been divided into four parts. It is difficult to determine the completion date of the total project until all environmental and design issues have been fully identified and addressed. However, we can say that approximately 80 percent of the current project is completed as of February 2007.

I'd say its still 80% as of February 2010...

Their latest news section does not give much of an idea for ultimate complete either.

froggie

Another item of note:  this current project is just for grading and bridges.  There will still be a paving/signing project to be let.

Which is something I've noticed with a few of the southern states....especially Mississippi.  They will do grading/bridges and paving as two separate projects/bids, instead of combining them into a single project/bid.

Alex

Quote from: froggie on February 09, 2010, 09:48:50 AM
Another item of note:  this current project is just for grading and bridges.  There will still be a paving/signing project to be let.

Which is something I've noticed with a few of the southern states....especially Mississippi.  They will do grading/bridges and paving as two separate projects/bids, instead of combining them into a single project/bid.

The photos they have on their website show exactly the same accomplishments of what we saw a week and a half ago. The grading aspect must be broken into separate contracts. Aforementioned, the two cross roads we took were significantly higher in elevation than the new four-lane road bed. Originally an interchange was planned at Mobile County 63, then that was downgraded to a grade separated interchange.

froggie

QuoteOriginally an interchange was planned at Mobile County 63, then that was downgraded to a grade separated interchange.

You do realize this sentence makes no sense...:o)  I'm assuming you meant a "grade separated intersection", or a "one-quadrant interchange".

Alex

Quote from: froggie on February 09, 2010, 01:42:39 PM
QuoteOriginally an interchange was planned at Mobile County 63, then that was downgraded to a grade separated interchange.

You do realize this sentence makes no sense...:o)  I'm assuming you meant a "grade separated intersection", or a "one-quadrant interchange".

Oops meant what they sometimes call a grade separated intersection, i.e. the one-quadrant interchange (I need to start using that term!).

agentsteel53

Quote from: AARoads on February 09, 2010, 02:20:32 PM
Oops meant what they sometimes call a grade separated intersection, i.e. the one-quadrant interchange (I need to start using that term!).

what is a one-quadrant interchange?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

florida

Taken from this site: http://www.expresswaysite.com/missouri.htm

"*David Herman explains one-quadrant interchanges: Old Lemay Ferry and Old Route M are designed as "one quadrant interchanges" according to a definition of this interchange type from MODOT.  This configuration is sort of a cross between a full interchange and an at grade intersection; through movements are grade separated (by a very large height difference at Old Lemay Ferry) but there is a T intersection on both of the routes where the two way ramp ends.  There is a stop sign at each end of the two way ramp.  This style of interchange is similar to those seen on the Blue Ridge and Natchez Trace Parkways."

Also similar to FL 76 and FL 710 in Indiantown.

TheStranger

Quote from: florida on February 10, 2010, 03:14:54 AM

"*David Herman explains one-quadrant interchanges: Old Lemay Ferry and Old Route M are designed as "one quadrant interchanges" according to a definition of this interchange type from MODOT.  This configuration is sort of a cross between a full interchange and an at grade intersection; through movements are grade separated (by a very large height difference at Old Lemay Ferry) but there is a T intersection on both of the routes where the two way ramp ends.  There is a stop sign at each end of the two way ramp.  This style of interchange is similar to those seen on the Blue Ridge and Natchez Trace Parkways."

In other words, a grade separation but with an uncontrolled-access road linking both routes (so no ramps).  California has a few examples of this, i.e. along Route 47 north of Route 1 heading north towards Compton, and along the Santa Clara County expressways.
Chris Sampang

Alex

Proposed $52 million evacuation route work ongoing

QuotePreliminary work on a $52 million, four-phase plan to connect the Foley baldwincountyseal.jpgBeach Express to Interstate 10 is moving faster than expected and the project costs will likely increase, County Engineer Cal Markert told Baldwin County commissioners at their work session Tuesday.

"We are still buying rights of way and finishing the plans," Markert said. He said construction could begin, likely on the southernmost section between the expressway and Baldwin County 32, in the summer.

The other three phases will be Baldwin 32 to U.S. 90, then northward to Baldwin County 64 and finally to the I-10 exchange at the Wilcox exit.

That is the first I have heard about it utilizing the Wilcox Road interchange. I may write the reporter to clarify on that...

QuoteRight-of-way purchases started last year along the largely rural route that follows Baldwin County 87. The entire corridor will be about 200 to 250 feet wide, county officials said, and will be built much like the existing expressway. The new four-lane road will provide a second north-south route paralleling Ala. 59 as an evacuation route and opening new areas of the county to economic development.

Oh yay, economic development along a corridor meant for evacuation purposes. That is smart!  :banghead:

lamsalfl

Because the FBE is just going to be another non-freeway 4-lane that will probably be developed, I just can't get into this road.  :(

florida

Quote from: TheStranger on February 10, 2010, 11:23:57 AM
Quote from: florida on February 10, 2010, 03:14:54 AM

In other words, a grade separation but with an uncontrolled-access road linking both routes (so no ramps).  California has a few examples of this, i.e. along Route 47 north of Route 1 heading north towards Compton, and along the Santa Clara County expressways.

Yep. They work best in rural areas.

Alex

Federal stimulus to pay for energy saving efforts in southwest Alabama

Road related item:

QuoteFairhope, meanwhile, won $62,000 in federal stimulus money to purchase and install new LED traffic signals and caution lights.

The new, energy-efficient lights will save the city an estimated $12,000 per year in energy and maintenance costs, said Scott Sligh, electric department superintendent.

"LED lights last approximately 10 times longer. We'll make fewer trips to change them," Sligh said. The new lights also will reflect less sunlight than conventional signals, reducing glare problems in the mornings and evenings, he said.

Could spell the end of this classic one-piece four-way at Murphy Avenue and Section Street...

Alex

There already is a four-lane route linking the two, and there is limited potential for new economic development, when many businesses along the old route are shuttered. Why not instead make a high-speed freeway? Oh yeah, I must remember the era for those is now over...

Highway linking I-10, I-65 will follow Baldwin County officials' preferred route

QuoteMarch 22, 2010, 7:01AM
I-10 I-65 connector.JPGView full sizeBAY MINETTE, Ala. -- A proposed hurricane evacuation highway linking Interstates 10 and 65 appears likely to follow the route preferred by Baldwin County officials. The state has halted work on a competing concept for the $150 million, four-lane corridor.

"It seems like Baldwin County is moving on with their project," said Vincent Calametti, division engineer for the state transportation agency. "The state decided the department will step back and our route will stay on hold."

County officials voted at a recent meeting to enter the next phase of a traffic study on their route to see if a toll road would be feasible.

"We have requested $150 million from Congress," said County Commissioner Frank Burt. "That is still in the works, but we voted to go ahead with the toll road study as a backup means of funding it."

Burt said that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers favored the county's route, which would roughly parallel Alabama 59. County officials said it would be cheaper to build than the state route, more useful to the public and less damaging to the environment.

Dubbed the "Foley Beach Express II" in county agenda items, the route would link to the existing toll bridge that runs to Orange Beach, making it another highway for tourist traffic and lucrative economic development.

Baldwin officials also favor their route because it would connect a progressing industrial mega-site to both I-10 and I-65. Hybrid Kinetic Motors Corp. is trying to raise almost $1.5 billion in startup money for a planned hybrid auto factory there that could mean 5,800 jobs.

The state's route would be further to the east. Starting at Baldwin County 87 and I-10, it would skirt the new Perdido Wildlife Management Area and run alongside the headwaters of the Perdido River to I-65.

Environmentalists said that the state route, crossing 28 creeks, would endanger the sensitive area and limit plans to expand the protected wilderness. The county route, by contract, crosses 10 creeks.

A permit application with the corps details the county route. About 104.9 acres of wetlands would be filled in the 24.5 miles of roadway construction, the application states.

The county would purchase wetland mitigation credits from the corps to replace the wetlands disturbed.

codyg1985

Quote from: AARoads on March 22, 2010, 10:22:20 AM
There already is a four-lane route linking the two, and there is limited potential for new economic development, when many businesses along the old route are shuttered. Why not instead make a high-speed freeway? Oh yeah, I must remember the era for those is now over...

Sounds like it could be a toll road. If it's a toll road, at least maybe it would be built as limited-access. I hope it is built as limited-access. Another five-lane boulevard isn't needed.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.