News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

"100" beltways

Started by bugo, December 18, 2014, 03:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Minneapolis/St Paul and Indianapolis once had beltways numbered state highway 100. Are there any other examples?

NE2

Amsterdam, Baltimore, Berlin, Den Haag, Milwaukee, Rotterdam, Seoul
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SD Mapman

Sioux Falls (eventually).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

ARMOURERERIC

pianocello

Winnipeg (at least the southern half).

And yeah, Indy had a loop SR 100. IIRC, it was slightly inside today's I-465. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it might have only been a three-quarters loop. I know the east side followed Shadeland Ave and the north side followed 82nd and 86th Streets. Not sure of the routing of the west and south sides, if they even existed.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

OCGuy81

Milwaukee has a partial beltway of sorts with WI-100. 

Henry

Phoenix just missed out on that when they created Loop 101.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

theline

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on December 18, 2014, 10:17:12 AM
Indianapolis?
Quote from: bugo on December 18, 2014, 03:26:56 AM
Minneapolis/St Paul and Indianapolis once had beltways numbered state highway 100. Are there any other examples?

Reading the OP before posting is recommended.  :colorful:

corco

Washington SR 100 is an at-grade beltway around Cape Disappointment State Park

jp the roadgeek

CT 100 does a quick loop around US 1 in East Haven :ded:
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

GCrites

Quote from: pianocello on December 18, 2014, 11:53:10 AM

And yeah, Indy had a loop SR 100. IIRC, it was slightly inside today's I-465. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it might have only been a three-quarters loop. I know the east side followed Shadeland Ave and the north side followed 82nd and 86th Streets. Not sure of the routing of the west and south sides, if they even existed.

Could the south side have been Raymond St? It's kind of far north though.

vtk

I thought I-465 mostly was the same route as IN-100. Different on the east side of course, but apparently the same on the south side (or at least southeast corner), and assumedly the west side, as I'm pretty sure I've read the N—S freeway segment between I-65 and I-865 was initially going to be IN-100 with no Interstate designation.

If this was not the case, where can I learn about IN-100 and where it actually went?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

pianocello

Quote from: vtk on December 19, 2014, 02:10:38 PM
I thought I-465 mostly was the same route as IN-100. Different on the east side of course, but apparently the same on the south side (or at least southeast corner), and assumedly the west side, as I'm pretty sure I've read the N—S freeway segment between I-65 and I-865 was initially going to be IN-100 with no Interstate designation.

If this was not the case, where can I learn about IN-100 and where it actually went?

Now I'm not sure. Everything I mentioned is what I think I remember from an old state highway map that's sitting in my room at home in Davenport. I'll take a look when I get back there tonight.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

NE2

http://highwayexplorer.com/EndsPage.php?id=1100 has some maps (which still work, unlike the photos).

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

theline

Thanks for posting the link to the maps, NE2. I'm old enough to have driven on SR-100. It may not be totally clear from the maps, but the east leg was Shadeland Avenue. The north leg started as 82nd Street on the east, curving to become 86th Street between Allisonville Road and Keystone. I was never on the west or south legs, to the extent they existed. In later years, I assumed the High School Road was (or was intended to be) the west leg, but I may be in error. I'm not seeing High School Road on Google. Did that change names, maybe to Georgetown?

DandyDan

Cedar Rapids, Iowa has a partially completed Iowa 100 which will cover the northern and western legs of the beltway whenever they decide to complete it.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

tdindy88

Quote from: theline on December 19, 2014, 06:51:23 PM
Thanks for posting the link to the maps, NE2. I'm old enough to have driven on SR-100. It may not be totally clear from the maps, but the east leg was Shadeland Avenue. The north leg started as 82nd Street on the east, curving to become 86th Street between Allisonville Road and Keystone. I was never on the west or south legs, to the extent they existed. In later years, I assumed the High School Road was (or was intended to be) the west leg, but I may be in error. I'm not seeing High School Road on Google. Did that change names, maybe to Georgetown?

High School Road is still around, and it's definitely not Georgetown. As for SR 100, I only remember the Shadeland segment from Washington Street down to I-465. I do wonder what the south side portion was supposed to be unless it was just the current I-465.

GCrites

Looks like a lot of High School Rd. got ate up by the airport. S. High School Rd. Still runs from US-36 to the Sam Jones Expressway according to the Goog.

bugo

Quote from: NE2 on December 19, 2014, 04:39:46 PM
http://highwayexplorer.com/EndsPage.php?id=1100 has some maps (which still work, unlike the photos).

Why wasn't that "orphaned" freeway that used to be IN 100 incorporated into I-465? There are two freeways running parallel not very far apart.

NE2

Quote from: bugo on December 19, 2014, 09:13:19 PM
Why wasn't that "orphaned" freeway that used to be IN 100 incorporated into I-465? There are two freeways running parallel not very far apart.
Because it was easier to relocate the people living in the path of I-465 than the corporations on Shadeland north of Washington.

Alex

Indianapolis in 1966.

bugo

I-74 was built before I-70? Talk about misplaced priorities...

andy3175

Quote from: corco on December 18, 2014, 09:13:47 PM
Washington SR 100 is an at-grade beltway around Cape Disappointment State Park

Never heard of Loop 100 before ... thanks for sharing those pics, Corco.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

GCrites

Quote from: bugo on December 20, 2014, 10:23:07 PM
I-74 was built before I-70? Talk about misplaced priorities...

US 40 was quite robust in comparison to a lot of other routes that got supplanted by interstates.

froggie

Most of US 40 was already 4-laned by then, so there was less of a traffic need along I-70 as there was along other corridors.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.