News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

QuoteJuly 11th, 2017: Post photos of signs that subtly hint as to their location but do not immediately give it away.

In theory, any highway sign hints at its location by indicating route numbers, exit numbers, or other information that put it at a specific location. For example, you're not going to find a "junction I-10" sign in any official capacity in Wisconsin.

Perhaps a better wording would be "signs that indicate their location in an unintentional manner"? I'd like clarification of that before I post.

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

empirestate

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 11, 2017, 04:33:32 PM
You were correct that you didn't get the challenge.

In my example CONN would be short for Connector but would also inadvertently say Hartford was in Connecticut because CONN can be an abbreviation for Connecticut.

CT would not work in this context unless it was being used as the abbreviation of court.

I'm not entirely sure I get it, either. The part that trips me up is that the "Lexington, MO" example is given as being a comparatively obvious one–I'm trying to think of a hypothetical case that would be even more subtle than that.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

csw

QuoteJuly 12, 2017: Post a sign/sign configuration with as many "J"s as you can.

I'll start off with 4 Js, east of Charleston, MO, on US60/US 62:

US71

Quote from: csw on July 12, 2017, 08:04:04 AM
QuoteJuly 12, 2017: Post a sign/sign configuration with as many "J"s as you can.

I'll start off with 4 Js, east of Charleston, MO, on US60/US 62:

Must be a Spider-Man fan ;)

empirestate

QuoteJuly 13, 2017
Challenge: Post signs where all of the letters are in alphabetical order.

You can ignore numerals, but all of the letters on the sign must appear in alphabetical order from left-right/top-bottom. (This applies to whichever sign is the focus of your photo; there can be other signs in the background that don't meet the requirement.)

csw

No takers on J's? I guess I'm not too surprised  :spin:

JJBers

These challenges are getting too hard, or too specific. I can't don't even know if I can find a place for today's challenge. Any place.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

hotdogPi

Quote from: JJBers on July 13, 2017, 06:37:55 PM
These challenges are getting too hard, or too specific. I can't don't even know if I can find a place for today's challenge. Any place.

I was thinking "E St." or another letter instead of E (and/or using Ln.) would be about the only way to do it.
Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is back; I'm just waiting for the Travel Mapping update to happen.

7/8

QuoteJuly 13, 2017
Challenge: Post signs where all of the letters are in alphabetical order.

The french word EST ("east") works well for this :)

If you count the tab as being a separate sign, then BEGINS also works

Another french word (FIN which means "end(s)")

hotdogPi

QuoteJuly 14, 2017: It's Bastille Day! The challenge today is to post photos of city/town names in non-French-speaking areas that also happen to be places in France.

This photo has Paris (as well as many others that aren't in France). These are all towns in Maine.

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

US71

QuoteJuly 14, 2017: It's Bastille Day! The challenge today is to post photos of city/town names in non-French-speaking areas that also happen to be places in France.

Paris Texas

AsphaltPlanet

Orléans, in Ottawa, Ontario.  There is a significant french speaking population here, though it is in Ontario

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_17_images/17_dv_2044_west_24x16.jpg

Paris, Ontario:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_20-29_images/24_cl_79-3_south_Jul14_24x16.jpg
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Jim

Paris, Missouri.  From US 24 and US 36.  June 28, 2012.

Orleans, Massachusetts.  Getting off US 6.  May 30, 2003.

Granville, New York.  December 12, 2010.

I was going to play a Montpelier, Vermont, or Montpelier, Virginia, but it looks like the city in France is spelled "Montpellier".
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

empirestate

Quote from: 1 on July 13, 2017, 07:20:04 PM
Quote from: JJBers on July 13, 2017, 06:37:55 PM

I was thinking "E St." or another letter instead of E (and/or using Ln.) would be about the only way to do it.

Alphabetical order turned out to be more challenging than I expected, given the surprising success of some previous wordplay-type Challenges. (Or rather, it was as challenging as I expected, but I took the chance anyway in hopes that I'd be surprised as I have been before.)

hbelkins

Paris is too easy. How about a signage error (should be US 60) on top of the contest entry?

In Kentucky, it's pronounced "Versales."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JJBers

Here's a literal photo of Versailles, CT
(I don't have a photo of any sign of it)
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Ian

Calais (Maine) along I-395 in Bangor. Though it's pronounced "cal-iss."

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

7/8

I was going to post Paris and Orléans, ON, but AsphaltPlanet beat me to it! So here's some other examples.

St. Joachim, ON (close enough to Saint-Joachim, France)

Montmartre, SK (named after a large hill in Paris, France)

Lagrange, IN (there are multiple towns in France with this name)

jmd41280

Beaufort, SC (its namesake is located in eastern France)

I-95 near US 17 by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

JJBers

QuoteJuly 15, 2017: Post a exit sign ending with a 5 or 0.

CC 2.0 JJBers
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

hotdogPi

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

dgolub

Long Island Expressway (I-495) eastbound at exit 30:

csw

Somewhere in the spaghetti bowl of interstates in downtown Louisville:

Approaching Dyersburg, TN, on I-155:

Northbound on I-69/US 41 entering Henderson, KY:

7/8

QuoteJuly 15, 2017: Post an exit sign ending with a 5 or 0.

Exit 200 on I-69 in Indianapolis

Exit 5 gore sign on the 412 in Whitby, ON

Exit 90 on A-10 near Waterloo, QC

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.