News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The Worst of Road Signs

Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

odditude

ugly? yes. bad? probably. cRaIG coUntY? nope.

Alex

So only Comic Sans level font counts as worst of, got it. Wrong font but correct layout is unique not "worst of" worthy.

Considering this thread goes back to 2010, many previous entries would not fit this strict definition of "worst of." So here are some options: Rename the thread to something like "possible shitty looking signs." Cull out the very worst into a separate, actual worst of the worst thread and rename this one. Lock this thread and start a new one with CrAiG CoUnty as the 1st post with a mandatory guideline that posted sign photos/examples must be that bad or worse.

jakeroot

But CrAiG CoUnty is already the first post in this thread, as an example of a worst-of sign.

I don't think just an incorrect font has ever counted as worst-of. It's gotta be that and something else. Like mis-matched fonts in the same word, or wrong font and stretched, or whatever.

This is all obviously very subjective.

Alex

This thread started with a collection of poorly designed signs, many of which simply used an incorrect font. Over time the thread transitioned to where posts are reviewed with overly strict guidelines for what is considered the worst of. I can understand the spirit in which this is regarded, as some are looking for the absolute worst. But this particular thread does not meet that criteria, as it is mostly a collection of bad signs versus worst signs.

Quote from: Ian on September 23, 2010, 04:12:29 PM
The Atlantic City Expressway also has a lot of horrible signs...

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on September 23, 2010, 09:32:19 PM

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 24, 2010, 09:56:29 AM
Quote from: Tarkus on September 24, 2010, 02:58:12 AM
Arial font signs are a pet peeve of mine. :ded:

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 23, 2011, 11:46:38 PM
The good old VDOT old font/clearview combination,  I know this probably came as a result of the I-295 flyover project but still

Quote from: CL on April 22, 2011, 09:26:34 PM

I-15 North - Exit 344 by sagebrushgis, on Flickr

Blech. Welcome to Ogden, land of bad signage. So many things wrong here. Let's see, we have a huge exit tab, series E instead of E(M) used, the two-digit guide sign beehive unmercifully stretched to accommodate three digits (even though it's for a two-digit route!), and the arrow that's not intended for exit usage. Thank you contractors...

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 06, 2011, 10:53:14 PM
Non-cutout I-95 shield and some VA 3 shields in a really strange font (photo from 2008 but these signs were still there in late 2010):

And a Helvetica non-cutout I-64 shield in Virginia Beach. At least it's got the state name:

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 26, 2011, 01:43:25 PM
I didn't get a picture, but Georgia's 511 signs use what looks like Helvetica.

kphoger

Quote from: Alex on October 09, 2020, 12:37:09 AM
Considering this thread goes back to 2010, many previous entries would not fit this strict definition of "worst of."

Since that time, there have also been plenty of complaints that the thread is flooded with signs that aren't really all that bad.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

If "worst/best of" is subjective, then the polite thing to do if you have nothing to say is to say nothing and move on. Unless someone is either trolling or going overboard...

kphoger

But the thing is that I don't come to this thread to see signs that are just kind of off in some respect.  I don't come here to see strange but still legible fonts.  I don't come here to see narrow margins, state shields that should be US shields, etc.  I come here to see the worst of road signs.

If you don't have something that really belongs in the worst category, then the polite thing to do is post it somewhere else.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alex

Based upon some of the feedback, this thread has run its course. I've started a new one reinforcing the criteria periodically stressed throughout this thread of what does and does not constitute the Worst of Road Signs.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=27810.0

Hopefully this keeps complaints at a minimum:

Quote from: kphoger on October 09, 2020, 09:45:01 AM
there have also been plenty of complaints that the thread is flooded with signs that aren't really all that bad.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.