News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Damaged Signs

Started by Ian, July 23, 2009, 08:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Central Avenue

Oh come on, if you were going to the effort of patching "NEXT RIGHT" on the middle sign, why couldn't you replace the missing I-270 shield on the pull-through while you were at it?

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

vtk

Same mentality that led to crews paving over a deer carcass in Licking County a few years back: "Not my responsibility."   The temporary sign patch was likely done by the construction contractor, not ODOT.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Central Avenue

Quote from: vtk on December 21, 2013, 10:24:10 AMpaving over a deer carcass in Licking County

oh god i can't stop laughing

Anyway, yeah, I hadn't considered the fact that it was the contractors doing the patching.

And now that I think about it, a pull-through sign positioned over closed lanes isn't of much use anyway, is it?
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadfro

Quote from: Zeffy on December 21, 2013, 10:34:40 AM
Quote from: Central Avenue on December 21, 2013, 09:53:07 AM

The arrows on the construction diamonds are fat and ugly.

...not to mention they're a non-standard sign used for a non-standard purpose.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Central Avenue

Nonstandard, but not uncommon, at least in Ohio.

They did always strike me as a bit silly; I'd think the line of orange barrels would be sufficient as far as channelizing goes.

vtk

South bound I-71 at about mile 44 in Ohio: a button copy distance sign got pretty well wanged. Still standing, but mangled in the lower left corner, with some letters discombobulated. Not convenient for me to get a photo myself. Hopefully someone else can get it before it's fixed. A close up shot would be awesome.

amroad17

Quote from: vtk on March 08, 2014, 10:07:43 AM
South bound I-71 at about mile 44 in Ohio: a button copy distance sign got pretty well wanged. Still standing, but mangled in the lower left corner, with some letters discombobulated. Not convenient for me to get a photo myself. Hopefully someone else can get it before it's fixed. A close up shot would be awesome.
Is that the Wilmington Rd   7  Cincinnati  43 sign?  You do know when it gets replaced it will be in Clearview.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

vtk

Quote from: amroad17 on March 08, 2014, 06:08:02 PM
Is that the Wilmington Rd   7  Cincinnati  43 sign?  You do know when it gets replaced it will be in Clearview.

Yeah, that one. And you're probably right about the Clearview – I hadn't thought about that.

Brandon

This was a service sign on I-55.

Emphasis on "was".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

okroads

U.S. 82 West in Whitesboro, TX. Photo taken by me on 1/5/14.

thenetwork

Shouldn't that BGS really be on the other side of what looks to be a 90 degree intersection or driveway there???

mcdonaat

If I own a damaged sign, and it's slightly warped, what could be done to get it straight and flat?

vtk

Quote from: amroad17 on March 08, 2014, 06:08:02 PM

It's been replaced. With Clearview, yes.  Too bad I never managed to get an up-close pic; I think that would have been cool.

PHLBOS

Quote from: vtk on December 21, 2013, 10:24:10 AM
Same mentality that led to crews paving over a deer carcass in Licking County a few years back: "Not my responsibility."   The temporary sign patch was likely done by the construction contractor, not ODOT.
Similar happened in Schuylkill County, PA near New Ringgold along PA 895 about a decade or two ago.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

CentralCAroadgeek

Bumping this thread with a pic of a half-burnt (or half-burned, perhaps?) sign on CA-99 south in Bakersfield.

agentsteel53

Quote from: mcdonaat on March 30, 2014, 10:13:15 PM
If I own a damaged sign, and it's slightly warped, what could be done to get it straight and flat?

if it's flat as opposed to embossed, just put it between two steel plates in a hydraulic press.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

freebrickproductions

I guess I-65 north is no longer accessible from I-85, apparently. Photo taken on 6-29-14.

I-85/I-65 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Here's a few others that I've posted in previous threads:
Part of this sign was damaged back in 2008 and was repaired rather quickly with this ugly patch. January 0f 2008 shows the sign in-tact, while March of 2008 shows it with the patch.

Exit 14 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

You need a new sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Signs in need of repair by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Faded Stop Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Faded No Left Turn Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Alex

Quote from: freebrickproductions on August 12, 2014, 06:22:11 PM
I guess I-65 north is no longer accessible from I-85, apparently. Photo taken on 6-29-14.

That sign has been like that for many years now. Take a look at it from 2010.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Alex on August 20, 2014, 08:52:18 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on August 12, 2014, 06:22:11 PM

That sign has been like that for many years now. Take a look at it from 2010.
Now for the million dollar question: Are they ever going to fix it?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

adventurernumber1

Quote from: okroads on March 29, 2014, 03:07:31 PM

U.S. 82 West in Whitesboro, TX. Photo taken by me on 1/5/14.

I guess it was trying to do a barrel roll  :-D
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Alex

Spotted north of Las Vegas last month, KO'd guide sign for the Clark County 215 Beltway on I-15 south.

vtk

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.063513,-82.888044,3a,15y,215.37h,92.28t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sw_5LDoh4obCru2XD9jnLyg!2e0

Sign says:

BEGIN
MPH
SPEED

And a chunk is now missing from the bottom-left corner, comprising about 1/6 of the total sign area.

freebrickproductions

(They/Them)

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.