News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

LA Times: 'Pay as you go' express lane program removes toll evasion penalties

Started by ClassicHasClass, June 23, 2023, 10:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicHasClass

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-06-23/pay-as-you-go-express-lane-program-removes-toll-evasion-penalties-on-10-110-freeways

Basically, the express lane violation fine is now $8, if I read this right:

"Angelenos driving on the 10 and 110 freeways can now use the express lanes without fear of penalty.

"Previous fines for using the Metro ExpressLanes system without a FastTrak transponder ranged from $25 for the first violation to more than $300 if a motorist was pulled over by a CHP officer during illegal use of the toll lanes.

"The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority agreed this week to eliminate all fines relating to toll evasion after hearing the results of a pilot program that seeks to relieve congestion on clogged roadways.

"Cars traveling in the pair of express lanes are no longer required to obtain a FasTrak transponder. Motorists with the devices can expect to have their toll debited automatically from an account as usual.

"Those without a transponder can expect to 'pay as you go,' plus an $8 processing fee, according to Metro officials.

"The toll system will photograph the vehicle's license plate and search for the registered vehicle owner's mailing address with the Department of Motor Vehicles. Once found, Metro ExpressLanes will mail a notice to the vehicle owner with payment instructions for the toll amount in addition to an $8 fee. Payment can be made online, by phone or in person.

"If payment is not made, Metro can ask the DMV to put a hold or lien on the vehicle owner's registration. Additionally, switchable transponders are the only way for customers to declare themselves as High Occupancy Vehicles if they want to travel toll-free in the express lanes."

froggie

Bruce

Quote from: froggie on June 23, 2023, 11:06:59 PM
What's the point of having the lanes tolled, then?

They're still charging the tolls, but by mail with a processing fee. Works similar to how Washington does it (+$2 for plate versus Good to Go).

bing101

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on June 23, 2023, 10:58:36 PM
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-06-23/pay-as-you-go-express-lane-program-removes-toll-evasion-penalties-on-10-110-freeways

Basically, the express lane violation fine is now $8, if I read this right:

"Angelenos driving on the 10 and 110 freeways can now use the express lanes without fear of penalty.

"Previous fines for using the Metro ExpressLanes system without a FastTrak transponder ranged from $25 for the first violation to more than $300 if a motorist was pulled over by a CHP officer during illegal use of the toll lanes.

"The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority agreed this week to eliminate all fines relating to toll evasion after hearing the results of a pilot program that seeks to relieve congestion on clogged roadways.

"Cars traveling in the pair of express lanes are no longer required to obtain a FasTrak transponder. Motorists with the devices can expect to have their toll debited automatically from an account as usual.

"Those without a transponder can expect to 'pay as you go,' plus an $8 processing fee, according to Metro officials.

"The toll system will photograph the vehicle's license plate and search for the registered vehicle owner's mailing address with the Department of Motor Vehicles. Once found, Metro ExpressLanes will mail a notice to the vehicle owner with payment instructions for the toll amount in addition to an $8 fee. Payment can be made online, by phone or in person.

"If payment is not made, Metro can ask the DMV to put a hold or lien on the vehicle owner's registration. Additionally, switchable transponders are the only way for customers to declare themselves as High Occupancy Vehicles if they want to travel toll-free in the express lanes."
Wow a first one for LA. Note Caltrans test the toll system designs for NorCal and I seen this for Benicia-Martinez Bridge and Carquinez Bridge where pay by License Plate has been common for some time. This system would later spread to other Bay Area Toll Bridges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carquinez_Bridge

Interestingly Carquinez Bridge is one of the longest running toll bridges in Northern California and it is way before the Bay Bridge and Golden Gate Bridges were even considered by a decade.

pderocco

Quote from: bing101 on June 23, 2023, 11:39:42 PM
Wow a first one for LA. Note Caltrans test the toll system designs for NorCal and I seen this for Benicia-Martinez Bridge and Carquinez Bridge where pay by License Plate has been common for some time.

In the OC, the 73, 133, 241, and 261 freeways have tolled via plate for a long time. You have to go online to pay within five days. I think there is a premium, but it's a lot less than $8. The $8 "fee" feels more like a punishment--a mere slap on the wrist, but a punishment nonetheless, like they want to discourage it, while OC encourages payment online without an account.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: pderocco on June 24, 2023, 12:11:20 AM
Quote from: bing101 on June 23, 2023, 11:39:42 PM
Wow a first one for LA. Note Caltrans test the toll system designs for NorCal and I seen this for Benicia-Martinez Bridge and Carquinez Bridge where pay by License Plate has been common for some time.

In the OC, the 73, 133, 241, and 261 freeways have tolled via plate for a long time. You have to go online to pay within five days. I think there is a premium, but it's a lot less than $8. The $8 "fee" feels more like a punishment--a mere slap on the wrist, but a punishment nonetheless, like they want to discourage it, while OC encourages payment online without an account.

The initial fine for non-payment on the 91 Express Lanes is $27 plus the toll amount.  But you cannot pay by plate on the 91 Express Lanes.  As you point out, you can pay by plate on the other OC toll roads, but the toll amount  is about 10 percent higher than if you pay by transponder.  The fine for non-payment is $57.50 plus the toll amount.

I think you have it right.  What Metro is doing is essentially shifting the administrative cost of non-payment from scofflaws to regular customers who don't have a transponder, albeit at a lower cost.  The registration hold might work on low level scofflaws who are evading tolls because they are truly cash strapped.  But what it does for overall compliance will be interesting to see.

There has been a movement of late to reduce or remove fines for various lower level rule breaking, for so-called equity reasons and because of claims that fines aren't as effective in compelling compliance as intended.  For example, my local library has essentially dropped charging late fees for failure to return books, based on an ALA recommendation. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out with Metro.  My initial thought is that unless they use toll revenue to pay for higher than usual CHP enforcement on the toll lanes, the volume of toll evasion is going to be significantly higher.

Quillz

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on June 24, 2023, 02:39:04 PM
There has been a movement of late to reduce or remove fines for various lower level rule breaking
I don't know if it's the result of any movement, but I just found out there is no penalty or late fees for forgetting to renew your driver's license (let's just say I have a friend who should have renewed their license four months ago). Struck me as odd to learn you just go to the DMV and pay a simple processing fee to renew it, there's otherwise no penalty at all (although I guess if you get pulled over, it's a larger-than-usual citation).

US 89

If there were a penalty, then there'd be an incentive against going to the DMV to get it renewed.

My grandma did that with her vehicle registration. She renewed it almost a full year late and never got pulled over in the meantime, and there was no penalty or anything when my parents finally reminded her to take it in.

sprjus4

Quote from: Quillz on July 28, 2023, 08:36:39 AM
I don't know if it's the result of any movement, but I just found out there is no penalty or late fees for forgetting to renew your driver's license (let's just say I have a friend who should have renewed their license four months ago). Struck me as odd to learn you just go to the DMV and pay a simple processing fee to renew it, there's otherwise no penalty at all (although I guess if you get pulled over, it's a larger-than-usual citation).
Why would there be an increased penalty for renewing it? What if you haven't driven in years and have had no reason to renew it, then you start driving again?

It's not required to have a drivers license - provided you're not operating a motor vehicle.

jeffandnicole

The fee is fair. Discourages people from getting rid of their tags completely, and pays for the processing costs for those that get billed after the fact.

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 28, 2023, 10:11:56 AM
Why would there be an increased penalty for renewing it? What if you haven't driven in years and have had no reason to renew it, then you start driving again?

It's not required to have a drivers license - provided you're not operating a motor vehicle.

Bingo. A license is technically only required for driving. Some people may rely on public transportation or others to do the driving. Some are overseas and don't need to drive, or won't be in the US during their renewal period. There are other ID options available to them (Passport, non-DL ID, etc.

That all said, a DL is so common some people forget other options exist. A recent complaint on a Facebook local town page was someone went in to get a marriage license, didn't have a driver's license but have their passport, and was reamed by the clerk that she needed a driver's license. This person tried pointing out that a passport is valid ID listed on their very own requirements, and not everyone drives or would need a driver's license. I don't know how that issue ended.

Quillz

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 28, 2023, 10:11:56 AM

Yeah that makes sense, I was probably equating an expired license with a suspended license. And there's late fees for not renewing your registration, so I figured the same would apply to a license.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.