News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why does I-196 change directions?

Started by bugo, November 14, 2012, 04:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

And are there "NORTH I-196 becomes EAST I-196" signs like the similar signs on I-69?

Alex

There were no signs posted along Interstate 196 at the direction switch (Exit 44) in 2009. The sign on I-69 at Lansing was gone by 2011.

Henry

This must be the third instance of a non-loop Interstate changing directions in MI alone, because IIRC, I-94 changes from E-W to N-S when it meets I-69 at Port Huron. (or at least it did)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alps

196, though important, is relatively short and doesn't fold back on itself like 69 does. (69 meets 94 twice.) Most 3di beltways don't tell mainline traffic about direction changes - I think I-69 is a particular case, especially with its high volume of international (truck) traffic.

hbelkins

I-164 does the same thing in Indiana. I think the changeover is at mile marker 4, as I noticed that the blue reference mile markers change from E-W to N-S between exits.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

nwi_navigator_1181

While there is no notification of directional change along I-196, there is justification.

The maps show that I-196 makes the directional shift as it pulls away from Lake Michigan from just south of Holland to Grand Rapids, at exit 44. Another important piece about exit 44 is that this is where U.S. 31 splits from I-196 (or joins it, if you're heading toward I-94). I-196 and U.S. 31 share that North-South alignment along Lake Michigan. My guess was that it was a lot easier to sign both U.S. 31 and I-196 universally, rather than as separate routes.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

bugo

I don't understand why they switched I-96 and 196.

bulldog1979

Quote from: bugo on November 16, 2012, 01:00:57 AM
I don't understand why they switched I-96 and 196.

At the time that the freeways were being built, what is now I-196 was only being started on the south end while what is now I-96 was initially completed from Muskegon to Farmington. Traffic going from Muskegon to Detroit follows I-196/US 16 as far as Grand Rapids, and then in the middle of nowhere, the designation changed to I-96/US 16. (That point is where the current interchange is now, but there was no interchange at the time.)

tdindy88

I was wondering this myself earlier this year as I had spent some time in Michigan., I-196 just seems too long to just be a "spur route" I am curious for the Michiganders up there, was there (or is there) any plan to have 196 end at the split with US 31 in Holland and have US 31 be the sole number for the highway south to Benton Harbor. I'm sure it's unrealistic now, it just made me wonder when I was up there. On that note, is that stretch from Holland to Benton Harbor called 196 or 31 by the locals. I'm betting it's called 196, but I'm just curious.

On one last personal note, when I first saw the post title I really wanted to reply "um...because there's a lake there." But I know it's meant to address the "signed" direction for the highway, which I actually didn't pay attention to when I drove the entire route from Grand Rapids to Benton Harbor.

bulldog1979

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 16, 2012, 10:35:31 AM
I was wondering this myself earlier this year as I had spent some time in Michigan., I-196 just seems too long to just be a "spur route" I am curious for the Michiganders up there, was there (or is there) any plan to have 196 end at the split with US 31 in Holland and have US 31 be the sole number for the highway south to Benton Harbor. I'm sure it's unrealistic now, it just made me wonder when I was up there. On that note, is that stretch from Holland to Benton Harbor called 196 or 31 by the locals. I'm betting it's called 196, but I'm just curious.

On one last personal note, when I first saw the post title I really wanted to reply "um...because there's a lake there." But I know it's meant to address the "signed" direction for the highway, which I actually didn't pay attention to when I drove the entire route from Grand Rapids to Benton Harbor.

In my experience, the locals call it "I-196" and drop "US 31" in conversation. I've never heard of any plans to shorten the signed designation for I-196. Even if they dropped the number from signage along the US 31 concurrency, MDOT and FHWA would have to retain it "on the books" as part of the Interstate Highway System, much like the unsigned I-296 that hasn't existed except on paper since 1979—80.

mukade

I-196 Benton Harbor to Holland predates Holland to Grandville by years.

When it all becomes I-67, you know it will be good.

nwi_navigator_1181

According to Wikipedia, the original plan had I-196 routed from Grand Rapids to Muskegon. Before the Grand Rapids-Benton Harbor portion of what was to be I-96 was completed, the state asked for permission to switch numbers, which was granted in 1963.

The current I-196 was meant to be I-96 and follow I-94 into Indiana, where it was set to suddenly end. Talk about weird history.

As for what the locals call it, take a look at the signage the next time you make the drive, Notice how much bigger the I-196 shield is than the U.S. 31 shield that sits below it. :)
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.