News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Quote from: hotdogPi on May 08, 2024, 04:15:55 PMI might not have been clear enough (although you do seem to have deleted what caused me to make this clarification). It checks for 60 days of use to consider it occupied, not 60 days of non-use to consider it unoccupied.

Your honor, I'd like my house back, apologies I live alone and was in the hospital and rehab for three months after a bad accident.

If it were me (and was also wife-less), would my two cats count as occupying it?

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: mgk920 on May 10, 2024, 10:28:32 AMHow would life in the USofA change if someone with standing sues and gets the USSupremes to overturn their 1926 ruling in the case of 'Ambler Realty Company v. the City of Euclid, Ohio', which legalized municipal land use zoning nationwide?

It would make everywhere more like Houston.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SectorZ on May 10, 2024, 03:12:52 PM
Quote from: hotdogPi on May 08, 2024, 04:15:55 PMI might not have been clear enough (although you do seem to have deleted what caused me to make this clarification). It checks for 60 days of use to consider it occupied, not 60 days of non-use to consider it unoccupied.

Your honor, I'd like my house back, apologies I live alone and was in the hospital and rehab for three months after a bad accident.

If it were me (and was also wife-less), would my two cats count as occupying it?

I think you're still reading him wrong. Even if you were in the hospital for 3 months, there would still be 60 days of occupancy during the year.

ZLoth

Finding out that my local library offers:
  • Overdrive for audiobooks, ebooks, and emagazines
  • Hoopla for audiobooks, ebooks, emagazines, movies, television, and music
  • Kanopy video streaming service
The best part is that it's "free" as part of a "free" library service... paid through my property tax dollars. The availability of some recent titles may be limited (use wait lists), but if your local library subscribes to these services, then all you need is a library card, and then you can check out the titles from home or on your mobile device.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

ZLoth

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 10, 2024, 12:58:55 PMThe normal IRS standard of a house being used as a principal residence is 2 out of the past 5 years.  There are also state standards, many of which require a residence to be lived in for 183 days out of a day to be considered a primary home.  Along with tax purposes, this includes voting rights for the state.

Proof of a primary home includes bills with the occupant's name and address, a driver's license with the address, or a voter registration card.  Other receipts showing the person has lived there also can support the number of days one has lived in a home.

The California Franchise Tax Board, being the every-hungry entity for tax dollars, has specific codes in determining your "domicile" (primary residence) for tax purposes, and even has FTB publication 1031 for determining residency status.

All this shows that you need to have the proper legal planning documents including a Power of Attorney for unusual circumstances including being in a hospital for three months. Also, it helps to have some well-trusted friends and neighbors.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

SectorZ

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 10, 2024, 03:48:51 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on May 10, 2024, 03:12:52 PM

I think you're still reading him wrong. Even if you were in the hospital for 3 months, there would still be 60 days of occupancy during the year.

OK 10 months. Still possible.

Scott5114

Quote from: formulanone on May 10, 2024, 10:40:24 AM
Quote from: kkt on May 09, 2024, 11:10:14 PMHow do you establish whether it's been used?  Send the Housing Police around to every house every week and see if it looks vacant?

Who else is going to enforce bedtimes and whether they really brushed their own teeth?

I mean, the cops should probably look into it if there's some bandit going around brushing other people's teeth.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

The concept of "Dental Police" seems like a missed marketing opportunity.

kkt

Much of what zoning does could be done by covenants instead, but a sudden decision eliminating zoning would cause a crisis, because a restrictive covenant would probably have to be purchased by the city, county, or state, rather than just imposed.

vdeane

There are other planning tools - site plan review, form-based code, etc.  Even Houston isn't a free for all.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: kkt on May 10, 2024, 10:07:30 PMMuch of what zoning does could be done by covenants instead, but a sudden decision eliminating zoning would cause a crisis, because a restrictive covenant would probably have to be purchased by the city, county, or state, rather than just imposed.

Covenants kind of ick me, since at least if you don't like your zoning you can apply to get it changed, or apply for a variance. I don't know what, if any, recourse there is against a covenant on your property that you don't like.

kkt

Yeah.  Permanence is sort of the point though.  Buy a house in this subdivision and you can be sure no one will ever build a 10-story tower south of you putting your house and garden in permanent shade...

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 10, 2024, 07:32:43 PMThe concept of "Dental Police" seems like a missed marketing opportunity.
The Crest Team shall avail the cavity creeps.

Scott5114

Quote from: kkt on May 11, 2024, 03:26:56 AMYeah.  Permanence is sort of the point though.  Buy a house in this subdivision and you can be sure no one will ever build a 10-story tower south of you putting your house and garden in permanent shade...

The flip side of that is that, because they're entrenched, you can get saddled with ones that don't make any sense because they were written for a time long past. The obvious example are covenants disallowing you from selling the house to people of certain races (though those are obviously illegal to enforce, they're still technically on the title to the house). The house I'm selling has a covenant on it that, if read literally when they talk about "business activity", would preclude work-from-home arrangements (which obviously weren't something the people who built the house in 1976 could contemplate).

kurumi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 10, 2024, 01:08:00 PMA company could build a 20 story commercial high rise next to a residential house.

A strip club could be built next to a playground.

A prison could be built next to a church.

A chemical plant could be built next to a farm.

Take any of the above 10, and put it next to any of the remaining 9.  Many of those combinations would be no good.

Which metro area comes closest to filling out that bingo card?
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

If there was a chemical plant next to a house I lived at I would just say I lived at "Chemical Plant Zone."

mgk920

IMHO, issues relating to nuisances could still be enforced.  However, I do see a mismatch between zoning as it is currently practiced and the 'taking' tenets of the 5th Amendment. Also remember that the 'Ambler' ruling from a century ago was 6-3 and there were non-legal personal opinions expressed by the prevailing justices in the decision.

Mike

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 11, 2024, 12:16:58 PMIf there was a chemical plant next to a house I lived at I would just say I lived at "Chemical Plant Zone."

This homeowner along the former route of VA-123 had a sense of humor about living across the street from the Lorton Reformatory. The sign is gone because the prison closed.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 11, 2024, 09:01:14 AM
Quote from: kkt on May 11, 2024, 03:26:56 AMYeah.  Permanence is sort of the point though.  Buy a house in this subdivision and you can be sure no one will ever build a 10-story tower south of you putting your house and garden in permanent shade...

The flip side of that is that, because they're entrenched, you can get saddled with ones that don't make any sense because they were written for a time long past. The obvious example are covenants disallowing you from selling the house to people of certain races (though those are obviously illegal to enforce, they're still technically on the title to the house). The house I'm selling has a covenant on it that, if read literally when they talk about "business activity", would preclude work-from-home arrangements (which obviously weren't something the people who built the house in 1976 could contemplate).
On the other hand, a covenant sounds like some deal with demons or a magically binding contract written in blood or something a lot more exciting than a typical real estate transaction.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.