Regional Boards > Northwest

ODOT warns of cutbacks to plowing amid falling gas tax revenue

(1/6) > >>

ZLoth:
From KGW8:

ODOT warns of cutbacks to plowing and other winter storm measures amid falling gas tax revenue
--- Quote ---Snowstorms tend to stretch ODOT maintenance crews to their limits, and those limits will be a little lower this year due to declines in Oregon's gas tax revenue.
--- End quote ---
FULL ARTICLE HERE

The Ghostbuster:
How well maintained are the roads in Oregon? With this cutback in funding, they will likely become even worse. I think they should ditch the gas tax for some kind of fee that is more sustainable for funding road projects.

ZLoth:
I don't know as I only driven in Oregon during Summer-early Fall. But, it demonstrates how pushing for first more fuel-efficient vehicles and now electric vehicles, in the name of "going green" and being "more energy efficient", has the unintended side effect of reducing the revenue from gas tax. A mileage-based system may be a substitute, but what if you live in Portland, Oregon, but most of your traveling is in Vancouver, Washington or all over the state of Washington?

1:

--- Quote from: ZLoth on October 20, 2023, 01:07:43 PM ---what if you live in Portland, Oregon, but most of your traveling is in Vancouver, Washington or all over the state of Washington?

--- End quote ---

Washington needs the money, too, just like every state. And it actually makes more sense that they should get it rather than Oregon, as you're using and wearing down their roads.

ZLoth:

--- Quote from: 1 on October 20, 2023, 01:12:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: ZLoth on October 20, 2023, 01:07:43 PM ---what if you live in Portland, Oregon, but most of your traveling is in Vancouver, Washington or all over the state of Washington?

--- End quote ---

Washington needs the money, too, just like every state. And it actually makes more sense that they should get it rather than Oregon, as you're using and wearing down their roads.

--- End quote ---

How do you track that then? If you suggest GPS, I'll just step back and watch the explosion as people are absolutely anal about the government having access to what they call their "private affairs".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version