News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Your Favorite Forum Quotes

Started by CoreySamson, July 05, 2021, 09:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Takumi on October 11, 2022, 11:19:58 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 11, 2022, 04:10:00 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 11, 2022, 04:08:03 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 11, 2022, 04:07:16 PM
Really? So you won't click this one?

I'll mouse over it and see what URL it links to.

YouTube link?  Nope.  No clue if it's worth my time or not.

Good choice. It wasn't worth it anyway.

I'd have rather it been a Rickroll. At least then I'd have a good song to listen to.

Yeah, I was expecting a Rickroll too. At least it wasn't Calrog singing his ode to the now-gone Little Green Shrub.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 10, 2022, 05:47:22 PM

Not really. 16.3 GB. I have a Firefox extension that unloads tabs from memory after they haven't been interacted with for, I think, five minutes. When I click on them it reloads the page. I also periodically run a script that forcibly kills Firefox subprocesses (but keeps the interface and all of its tabs loaded) to deallocate RAM whenever it starts getting full. The result is that right now I have 335 tabs open across 3 windows, and total memory usage on the system (Firefox and the other processes) is only 9.3 GB physical and 5.0 GB swap.

What extension is that, if you don't mind my asking? Sounds intriguing. I tend to have maybe 10 to 15 tabs open at a time, sometimes more, on my home PC, but on my work PC the number of tabs tends to explode due to certain sites I need to use that routinely open links in new tabs (which, for the most part, is useful as to those particular sites). I'm not sure I'd be able to install the Firefox extension on my work PC, but if I were to try it at home and find it useful, our IT staff would probably at least be interested in hearing about it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 11, 2022, 10:57:22 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on October 11, 2022, 05:09:25 PMI tend to be choosy about YouTube links since I won't pay for ad-free YouTube and hate dealing with the ads.

I'm in the same boat, but I handle it with the Adblock Plus extension for Firefox. (I don't have any equivalent on mobile, so I must put up with ads when browsing YouTube on my phone, but in that context I am usually watching specific videos, not clicking links.)

I appreciate the heads-up about ABP blocking YouTube ads.  I hadn't realized that was among its capabilities, despite having had it for years and years, and had disabled it since I was getting tired of "whitelist this page" messages from sites that test for it.  It would be convenient if Firefox allowed it to be enabled or disabled with just one click.

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 11, 2022, 10:57:22 PMI still normally do not click links to videos because the ratio of information presented vs. the amount of time it takes to consume it is far worse for me than than for text. (I could probably read the transcript to a 20-minute video in about 5 minutes.) So if I am looking for, e.g. a how-to guide on something, I will normally scroll past all of the video-based search results to try to find a textual description of the same thing. Text is also easier to refer back to later, since I can do an in-page search with the browser's search function, rather than having to scrub back and forth looking for the relevant section of video.

I prefer to consume information textually, too, but there are some applications (e.g., car repairs that are specific to my make and model) where the video footage really helps.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: kirbykart on October 12, 2022, 08:21:30 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 09, 2022, 08:54:54 PM
Part of this is that rather than using bookmarks, I just leave frequently-visited sites open and revisit them from time to time as needed. So any daily use tabs like Facebook Messenger, my four email accounts, this forum, Wordle, the product directory on the website I manage, my business accounting system, etc. just permanently stay open at the top of the tab heap. I think I have 30 such never-close tabs. Most of these are Web applications that would have been their own separate programs 20 years ago, but these days the best way to handle them is through the browser.

That's really something. I understand keeping work-related tabs open and easy to access, but not Facebook or Wordle. And the other hundreds of tabs probably do not need to be open.

Facebook Messenger is there because I refuse to install it on my phone, since I don't approve of Facebook's spyware tendencies, and these are much easier to control on a traditional Web browser than on mobile. Of course, that means the only way to be notified of if I have a new message is if I have it open in the browser 24/7. It is the only messaging service my wife will use–if I could get her onto Discord, I wouldn't keep it around.

Many of the other tabs are open because, if I don't, I won't remember to check them when I need to. Or it will be impossible to find again (like a YouTube music livestream I listen to while I'm working, that periodically changes URLs whenever they have technical problems, because they end the livestream and start a new one). Several of the other tabs are ephemeral–for instance I have a lot of photos of Garden State Parkway signs because my boss wants me to draw them, so I need them around, but bookmarking them or saving them to hard disk seems like the wrong solution because once I draw the sign in that photo I will never need it again. Or a reference for some PHP or Perl function that I need while I'm working on a particular part of a script that needs them, but which I won't need anymore once I finish that script.

In any case, I just pared everything down to what I would consider the bare minimum, and ended up with 26 tabs in the personal window, 32 in the work window, and 2 in the programming window, for a total of 60.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kirbykart

^^That's more reasonable IMHO. I understand that certain jobs can require over a dozen tabs open simultaneously, so I think that's pretty good.

Scott5114

Yeah, a lot of the tab cruft is just me opening something and not remembering to close it when I don't need it...and then enough of them spawn that it doesn't feel like a good use of time to go back and close them en masse, especially when there are easier and faster ways to reclaim memory from them. Like this shell script, which I have put in my $PATH so that I can run it by calling the defox command:

#!/bin/bash

killall Web\ Content
killall Isolated\ Web\ Container

(I'm sure the other Linux users on the forum will grok this instantly, but the effect is to forcibly end all of Firefox's processes other than the one that owns the actual display window, thus freeing up a large chunk of memory. Because the GUI window is not affected, the tabs stay open with their URLs loaded into them, but with no content loaded in them until they are next clicked on.  At that point Firefox basically does a page refresh and does the requisite malloc(), and the cycle of stupidity continues.)

It is not really much of an interface burden to have this many tabs open, either; I have an extension called Tree Style Tabs that displays tabs as a vertical tree view. So all tabs I open from AARoads will appear below the AARoads tab, but indented slightly. If I open another tab from one of those tabs, it adds another level of indentation, and so on. Like most tree views, there is a mechanism to hide all children of a parent tab. So it's possible to have many dozens of child tabs open but hidden from view until I expand the parent.

Bruce

Speaking of open tabs:

And this is just on my laptop.

kkt

Quote from: Bruce on October 12, 2022, 07:58:06 PM
Speaking of open tabs:

And this is just on my laptop.

Is this sort of like a pie-eating contest?

kirbykart

Diverting the subject back to the title, great quotes from the Ramp Meter Thread:

The OP:
Quote from: Lukeisroads on October 07, 2022, 09:25:53 AM
Ok So I Wont review em ill instead look at them. So Post It Down Below!

Formulanone's response:

Quote from: formulanone on October 07, 2022, 10:17:26 AM
We are not your servants.

Probably my favorite, JoePCool14's submission:

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 07, 2022, 11:51:44 AM
My favorite ramp meter is actually the one near my office at Cumberland. There's the typical Ramp Meter Ahead warning sign, and the ramp is stripped like one I posted above. The thing is, the meter is so good that it never turns red and is actually invisible. Really impressive and innovative.

It only has one page so far, but this thread has some good quotes already.

formulanone

I'm happy to oblige but that user always want us to send generic images of things which can be very commonly and easily found, which doesn't make for much discussion.

kirbykart

Quote from: formulanone on October 13, 2022, 10:51:32 AM
I'm happy to oblige but that user always want us to send generic images of things which can be very commonly and easily found, which doesn't make for much discussion.

Yeah, they have really irritated me as well. How about that "Traffic Lights at Random Places" thread? Originally he didn't provide any details and it got locked, then he created an identical thread with this as the OP:
Quote from: Lukeisroads on July 28, 2022, 08:55:49 PM
k So the same topic got locked cause i didnt provide enough info so sry mods ill make it up to u So Traffic Lights Right? You see em everywhere But in a random Place? Seriously!? IF you Have Some Traffic Lights In a random place in Your Area Post em down below and ill Look At them Good Luck

JoePCool14

Quote from: kirbykart on October 13, 2022, 02:32:49 PM

Yeah, they have really irritated me as well. How about that "Traffic Lights at Random Places" thread? Originally he didn't provide any details and it got locked, then he created an identical thread with this as the OP:
k So the same topic got locked cause i didnt provide enough info so sry mods ill make it up to u So Traffic Lights Right? You see em everywhere But in a random Place? Seriously!? IF you Have Some Traffic Lights In a random place in Your Area Post em down below and ill Look At them Good Luck

There always has to be at that one person on the forum. One leaves/gets banned, another comes in to take their place.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 13, 2022, 02:42:41 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on October 13, 2022, 02:32:49 PM

There always has to be at that one person on the forum. One leaves/gets banned, another comes in to take their place.

It's actually been fairly quiet for the last few months, surprisingly. I don't think I've even had to delete many posts or lock many threads lately.

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 12, 2022, 02:51:04 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 11, 2022, 10:57:22 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on October 11, 2022, 05:09:25 PMI tend to be choosy about YouTube links since I won't pay for ad-free YouTube and hate dealing with the ads.

I'm in the same boat, but I handle it with the Adblock Plus extension for Firefox. (I don't have any equivalent on mobile, so I must put up with ads when browsing YouTube on my phone, but in that context I am usually watching specific videos, not clicking links.)

I appreciate the heads-up about ABP blocking YouTube ads.  I hadn't realized that was among its capabilities, despite having had it for years and years, and had disabled it since I was getting tired of "whitelist this page" messages from sites that test for it.  It would be convenient if Firefox allowed it to be enabled or disabled with just one click.

Sometimes the whitelist demands can be themselves blocked with the "block specific element" feature of ABP. Another solution is to use the YesScript extension to disable JavaScript for that page, which prevents the page from executing any code that could load a whitelist demand box. This does sometimes have collateral damage, though; some sites inexplicably use JavaScript to run AJAX that loads text and images, so parts of them go missing. (Generally, if that's the case, it terminates any interest I might have in actually reading the article, since it tends to harden my feelings toward a site into something along the lines of "we don't negotiate with terrorists".)

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 13, 2022, 07:31:31 PM
It's actually been fairly quiet for the last few months, surprisingly. I don't think I've even had to delete many posts or lock many threads lately.

I need to step up my game.  :-D :-D :-D

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on October 14, 2022, 11:25:15 AM

Nobody has been pushing the flat State agenda, posting excessive generic GSV images or talking about certain states containing gross vegans as of late.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 14, 2022, 11:35:51 AM

Nobody has been pushing the flat State agenda, posting excessive generic GSV images or talking about certain states containing gross vegans as of late.

I'll create a second account pretending to be a 21-year-old attractive woman (copying someone else's image, of course) who repeatedly asks everyone else on the forum to follow her Instagram, TikTok, and other accounts, plus selling road-related NFTs. She claims that the money she gets from the NFTs will pay for funding for true high-speed rail in the US.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

JoePCool14

Quote from: 1 on October 14, 2022, 11:53:58 AM
I'll create a second account pretending to be a 21-year-old attractive woman (copying someone else's image, of course) who repeatedly asks everyone else on the forum to follow her Instagram, TikTok, and other accounts, plus selling road-related NFTs. She claims that the money she gets from the NFTs will pay for funding for true high-speed rail in the US.

I think we have another nomination for this thread!

hbelkins

Or maybe I'll start demanding that VA 28 be renumbered I-366 and be posted with an 85 mph speed limit.

Or create HBLand where goats are supreme.

kphoger

...and Dollar General is the local place of worship...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dlsterner

Nor excessively quoting Wallethub rankings and debating elevation variations of states.

kphoger

HBLand is a better vacation spot than Sheetz.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: dlsterner on October 14, 2022, 02:26:39 PM

Nor excessively quoting Wallethub rankings and debating elevation variations of states.

I'd be happy to bring back Wallethub. I'm in need of a new wallet and I could use some guidance on the best ones.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 14, 2022, 02:53:39 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on October 14, 2022, 02:26:39 PM

I'd be happy to bring back Wallethub. I'm in need of a new wallet and I could use some guidance on the best ones.

Truth be told, I was disappointed a "certain antagonist" didn't reemerge when Wallethub ranked Fresno as the most dangerous city in California along with being more dangerous than Detroit and Chicago.  :rolleyes:

kirbykart

How about this, from mgk920:
Quote from: mgk920 on October 19, 2022, 10:33:55 PM
( :ninja: take a bite of something  :thumbsup: )

NOMnomnomnomnomyumyumyumMmmMmmMmm(burp)nomnomyumyumMmmMmmnomnom
*CRUNCH!!  :-o *OW!*   :wow: (bites inside of cheek)

:-|

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.