Regional Boards > Mountain West

I-80 Reroute in Wyoming

(1/35) > >>

Plutonic Panda:
WYDOT proposing an approx 100 mile, 6 billion dollar route of I-80 along US-30 from Walcott to Laramie.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2022/01/30/wydot-proposes-reroute-of-i-80-to-avoid-winter-closures/

How likely is this to happen?

US 41:
I'm a truck driver and I-80 by Elk Mountain is always super windy. US 30 is slightly better because it's farther away from the mountain range, but they often close 30 to trucks due to the wind as well.

No joke I was stuck in Rawlins for 3 days in late December due to the wind and snow. Wyoming weather is just terrible. I ended up driving up to Casper and taking 20 across Nebraska as that route finally was clear and didn't have 60+ mph wind gusts. 30 and 80 were both closed.

On the way out there to Utah I had to take 230 and 130 (which barely goes into CO) to get from Laramie to Rawlins due to the wind.

SkyPesos:
Can someone explain the weather situation to me? The elevation seems to be less than I-70 between Grand Junction and Denver, so how come it needs a reroute when I-70 probably deals with bad weather/road closures even more?

davewiecking:

--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 31, 2022, 05:48:26 PM ---WYDOT proposing an approx 100 mile, 6 billion dollar route of I-80 along US-30 from Walcott to Laramie.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2022/01/30/wydot-proposes-reroute-of-i-80-to-avoid-winter-closures/

How likely is this to happen?

--- End quote ---

According to the quoted WYDOT Director, the odds are ď very, very, very, very small.Ē But itís an interesting idea. Locals who were aware of the wind conditions believe Uncle Sam made the wrong decision when they didnít follow US-30 originally, instead opting for a more scenic route.

Ketchup99:
Here's an idea. What if instead of rerouting I-80, they twinned US-30 for that stretch? That would be a lot cheaper, but it would also make it a very viable alternate route when I-80 has to be closed. Since I'm not sure that I-80 across Wyoming really ever needed to be a freeway either, it would provide a fine, high-speed alternate route more than capable of carrying the traffic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version